**Best place/service to listen to HIGH quality music**
Feb 9, 2012 at 8:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

MattTCG

Headphoneus Supremus
I just wondered what everyone has found for listening to streaming music that is high quality. Of course there are times when I want to listen to something different that's not in my collection and there is no fundage for purchasing. 

So what's the best service out there for audiophiles? 

Feb 9, 2012 at 12:55 PM Post #2 of 14
I don't know anybody who streams lossless. I could be wrong though.

Spotify streams Ogg Vorbis q5 which is ~160kbps for free and if you pay for premium you can get q9 (~320kbps).

99% of people 99% of the time (at least) will be unable to differentiate between q9 and lossless. You would  be hard pushed to hear much difference between q5 and lossless nowadays anyway, especially with popular music.

Feb 9, 2012 at 4:16 PM Post #3 of 14
I have not tried spotify. I suppose I could try out the free and give it a listen. 
bigsmile_face.gif

Feb 9, 2012 at 8:13 PM Post #5 of 14
Slacker only streams at 128kbps. That's pretty good these days but some people can hear a difference still and you asked for high quality.

Feb 9, 2012 at 9:04 PM Post #6 of 14
MOG, no question. All 320k. Spotify has lower bitrate on many files, big thumbs down.Just as large a library as Spotify (which is to say, ridiculously huge). It's dethroned Spotify for many. No yearly contract needed either. If there's a better quality streamer I'd love to know...

Feb 9, 2012 at 9:30 PM Post #7 of 14
MOG looks fantastic!! The tier one service that is free includes 320kb streams...sweet! Might as well try it out

thanks...

Feb 9, 2012 at 11:18 PM Post #10 of 14
The way that I understand it, you must complete these "chores" to keep the music coming free of charge. So the short answer is no. Now granted I've only used MOG for about 2 hours, but it seems like the real deal to me. No dealbreaker here...

Feb 22, 2012 at 4:58 PM Post #11 of 14
Just like to say that this thread got me signed up for MOG and MY GOOD GOD it's fantastic!  It's like Spotify with Pandora radio streams bolted on, but WAIT THERE'S MORE!  The radio streams can be controlled so you can choose if the radio stream is all one artist/album/genre or how much other artists/albums to mix in.  It has an easy to use slider to control this radio feature.  

If I had one small complaint it's this:  the play queue does not sync across different browsers or to your mobile device.  Each "instance" has its own play queue.  A small niggle. Nothing that really detracts from how wonderful the service is.  Only other issue is that unlike Spotify, it does not have a local music import feature, so MOG does not know anything about your local music collection.  Which is fine because Spotify does not see flac files anyways so Spotify cannot see my music collection anyways, big boo for Spotify.

AND it's all 320kbps ogg streaming!

Feb 22, 2012 at 10:54 PM Post #12 of 14
kexp.org, the KEXP Seattle Radio station allows you to listen to the archives of the last two weeks of their shows.  One of the options is to stream it uncompressed, so you need 1.5 mbps of bandwidth.  Some of the shows are pretty solid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back