Best Phones for Movie Watching
Dec 24, 2013 at 10:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Mfalcon

Head-Fier
Hi,
I'm curious what other people think are the best headphones for watching movies and why?  Price is no object.  If your answer depends on your amp, please list the amp as well.

Dec 24, 2013 at 10:11 PM Post #3 of 7
I was thinking of comfort being important. Actually I wouldn't mind a headphone that compresses the sound some too, which I don't like at all for music. I've always wondered what other head-fi'ers watch movies with. I'm not a huge videophile, bit I just love watching movies. Watching with my audeze LCD-3s and running a tube amp seems silly though.

Dec 25, 2013 at 8:20 PM Post #4 of 7
movies and games sound reaaaaaalllly good on sennheiser hd-800's. Can't beat a speaker-like headphone for movies and games. But then again, I'm a soundstage whore.

Dec 25, 2013 at 8:58 PM Post #5 of 7
  movies and games sound reaaaaaalllly good on sennheiser hd-800's. Can't beat a speaker-like headphone for movies and games. But then again, I'm a soundstage whore.

I also use the HD800's for my movie watching and PC gaming. The ambient noise, backgrounds, detail in busy scenes and all that make it a much more lifelike experience.

I think something like the DT880/AKG Q701 would be a good lower cost alternative for detail lovers in movie watching.

The Fostex TH900 also does pretty well if you want to feel the explosions and impacts of things like punches due to their bass response.

Dec 27, 2013 at 10:57 PM Post #6 of 7
For me, we both watch movies on headphones so having the same headphone is preferred. For budget reasons, it's impractical for us to have two HD800s, but two DT 880 is doable. They're comfortable, too. If you have a way to use volume normalization (media players often have those options), I recommend to use settings that help bring out dialogue. Another low cost alternative are the Sennheiser HD239 - they're great and comfy, too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back