Best Phone for Music?
Mar 28, 2011 at 6:18 AM Post #4 of 14
Thats bull i have the Galaxy S and the sound out of it is noticable worse than my Sansa clip and my old Iphone 2g and i also have the SM3. Better than the S9 ? thats the best joke i´ve ever heard :)
The Galaxy is anything but good sounding. From my experience the Iphone series can beat any phones out there when it comes to sound quality. They sound very neutral and wide and will pair perfectly with more expensive IEMs especially those with warm sound signature.

Mar 28, 2011 at 1:02 PM Post #5 of 14
Samsung Galaxy S (Capitivate, Viberant ect) has wolfson dac chip and it canbe sound very good with power amp use but first you need to download Voodoo sound appelication ($14) from Andriod market. It will improve the sound quality much better than stock configiration and gives more volume with better details and soundstage. So yes Samsung Galaxy S can sound so good and even better than some dadicated DAPs.

Mar 29, 2011 at 2:52 PM Post #6 of 14
The Voodoo Sound app is free ... the $14 version is just to donate, both versions of the app have the same functionality.
You must have a custom kernel that has Voodoo Sound included, most custom kernels do by now, the app just controls it.
Comparing the Galaxy S Voodoo Sound to my Cowon S9, they sound about the same.
Keep in mind that the sound quality on the Galaxy S got better with newer firmware and the addition of Voodoo Sound.

Apr 11, 2011 at 1:21 PM Post #7 of 14

Quote:
Thats bull i have the Galaxy S and the sound out of it is noticable worse than my Sansa clip and my old Iphone 2g and i also have the SM3. Better than the S9 ? thats the best joke i´ve ever heard :)
The Galaxy is anything but good sounding. From my experience the Iphone series can beat any phones out there when it comes to sound quality. They sound very neutral and wide and will pair perfectly with more expensive IEMs especially those with warm sound signature.

Have you gone with the custom kernel and Voodoo to unlock the full potential of the Wolfson DAC on the Galaxy S?

Apr 11, 2011 at 4:38 PM Post #8 of 14
I own a Nokia 5530 XM. I have nothing to compare to, though subjectively it is better at mids & highs though worse at bass than my PC's Realtek HD.
I am afraid many would find it not loud enough: I'm listening with 90-95% volume (IEMs) and sometimes I still want to get it louder.

Apr 11, 2011 at 7:10 PM Post #9 of 14
Wait,...you need to "root" the Samsung Galaxy S to use the custom kernal & the Voodoo Sound app? I'd go back to Android if I can get slammin' SQ from an Android phone WITHOUT rooting - I HATE rooting!!!

DESCRIPTION

This app controls Voodoo sound for Galaxy S and Nexus S phones with custom kernels implementing Voodoo patches.
Features are auto-detected, extended controls supported will be displayed (it may differ from the screenshots)

As I publish updates very often, enabling auto-updates is recommended.

Goal of this project is to:
- improve sound quality
- fix audio issues present in Samsung kernels
- unleash the powerful hi-fi headphone amplifier included in your phone and audiophile-quality DAC.

Every new feature uses the abilities of Wolfson Microelectronics WM8994 ultra low power audio codec, without changing battery life.

It requires a custom kernel for Galaxy S devices, containing an additional driver
However, root is not needed.

You will find the reference kernel for GT-I9000 Galaxy S here:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=806195
Today Speedmod, SuperOptimized, Voodoo Advanced and other kernels for Vibrant and Captivate support the new sound extensions as well.

Enjoy - and take care of your your hearing, because the amp is a beast :)

https://market.android.com/details?id=org.projectvoodoo.controlapp

Apr 13, 2011 at 8:11 PM Post #10 of 14
Has anyone tried/compared the Nokia N8 or E7? I listened to a friend's Nokia N8 with a pair of IEMs and was pleasantly surprised. Then I tried it through a Pico amp and it seemed even better. For reference, my current setup is iPod Mini 2nd gen->LOD->Pico amp, nothing too special but good enough for my portable needs. The Nokia definitely did not sound worse, although I only tried it for maybe 20-30 mins.

Apr 17, 2011 at 10:57 PM Post #11 of 14

Quote:
Has anyone tried/compared the Nokia N8 or E7? I listened to a friend's Nokia N8 with a pair of IEMs and was pleasantly surprised. Then I tried it through a Pico amp and it seemed even better. For reference, my current setup is iPod Mini 2nd gen->LOD->Pico amp, nothing too special but good enough for my portable needs. The Nokia definitely did not sound worse, although I only tried it for maybe 20-30 mins.

Yes, I've heard from many sources that the N8 does sound quite remarkable. Too bad Symbian is so hard to use. But that is a discussion for another forum :)

Apr 18, 2011 at 7:14 PM Post #13 of 14

Yeah, I think I might be getting the E7 in the coming weeks, so I will post my impressions if I do get it. I was definitely impressed by the N8. If I can have decent sound quality without having to carry a separate DAP, I'd be very happy, although I agree that Symbian^3 has its limitations.

Quote:
Yes, I've heard from many sources that the N8 does sound quite remarkable. Too bad Symbian is so hard to use. But that is a discussion for another forum :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back