Best phone as a digital transport is...?

Discussion in 'Portable Source Gear' started by Winno, Feb 9, 2018.
  1. Winno
    Not really "head-fi" but, thought I'd ask this here given the experience many have with mobile phones as transports.

I'm in the process of building a 9-channel, fully active audio system which uses a digital audio processor complete with cross overs, time alignment, and DAC for incoming digital sources.

Anyway, my main source will be an iPhone streaming and playing back stored cd-quality Tidal Hifi files. The signal will bypass any DAC and analogue audio in the phone and will get to my external processor/DAC via Lightning cable to Wyred4sound uLink USB bridge then optical cable into the processor. Essentially, my phone will be a transport only.

[​IMG]

iPhone seems to top what's out there but this is after reviews comparing the DACs and analogue outputs of phones.

Has anyone a view they care to share regarding the quality of different phones as a transport only?

I ask because I am wondering if it'll be worth leaving iOS behind as it forces me to use add-on bits like the Apple camera connection kit and Lightning cables which are potential bottlenecks for sound quality due to the shortage of "audiophile" cable options.

Thanks for your help.