Best PC gaming audio setup ? 300$ Budget
Jun 22, 2015 at 4:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

e-alromaithi

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone,

So basically I'm new to this forum and a noob in audio field!

Recently I've sold my Astro A50 and wanted to move on with better Audio solution.

I've read a lot of posts in this forum regarding headphones, Amps, DACs and sound cards. I've built up a very basic idea of what I need but I'm still confused on what to get for myself.

What I'm currently using  is asus rampage v extreme on-board sound (SupremeFX) + Beats Solo. It really sounds horrible when playing movies or playing Battlefield 4 with these headphones

Anyway, I want your help in deciding what to get for my audio setup.

Here what i will usually use it for: 50% Gaming, 40% Movies and 10% Music

Is my on-board sound good enough ? should i consider buying a dedicated sound card ? if I have too, please suggest some that are known for gaming (Virtual surround sound is critical!), What are some of the headsets which are known for their quality ? (I'm confused between AD900 and K701, which one to choose ?) Should I get an Amp/DAC ? If I have too, please suggest some that can maximize my audio experience! is there anything else that I've missed ?

Please note that my budget is 300$ more or less.

My future audio setup will be 100% from what you will suggest to me in this post, so please suggest some good stuff and if you can describe your experience with it, I would be grateful!

English is my second language so bear with me. :)

Jun 23, 2015 at 2:32 AM Post #2 of 5
Sound card choice is largely based on what virtual surround tech suits you best, since they all bear competent DACs nowadays.

For a start, you might want to try installing modded Realtek drivers with the X-Fi MB3 software to try out at first. X-Fi MB3 sets itself up as a virtual audio device and has the SBX Pro Studio features present in their current Z-series cards.

The more important choice boils down to your headphones, really. $300 is plenty, possibly more than you even need.

In addition to the AD900, I'd suggest an AKG K612 or Sony MDR-MA900 to consider, since both are fairly comfortable and sound open enough to work well with virtual surround for games. I'll even offer up my MA900 if that's the one you want.

If you need a mic, that's what the ModMic is for. Unfortunately, I can't suggest the BoomPro mic because all of the aforementioned headphones have hard-wired cables, so you'll just have to deal with the added cable spaghetti the ModMic brings alongside your existing headphone cable.

Jun 23, 2015 at 3:02 AM Post #3 of 5
  So basically I'm new to this forum and a noob in audio field!
Recently I've sold my Astro A50 and wanted to move on with better Audio solution.
I've read a lot of posts in this forum regarding headphones, Amps, DACs and sound cards. I've built up a very basic idea of what I need but I'm still confused on what to get for myself.
What I'm currently using  is asus rampage v extreme on-board sound (SupremeFX) + Beats Solo. It really sounds horrible when playing movies or playing Battlefield 4 with these headphones
Anyway, I want your help in deciding what to get for my audio setup.
Here what i will usually use it for: 50% Gaming, 40% Movies and 10% Music
Is my on-board sound good enough ? should i consider buying a dedicated sound card ? if I have too, please suggest some that are known for gaming (Virtual surround sound is critical!), What are some of the headsets which are known for their quality ? (I'm confused between AD900 and K701, which one to choose ?) Should I get an Amp/DAC ? If I have too, please suggest some that can maximize my audio experience! is there anything else that I've missed ?
Please note that my budget is 300$ more or less.
My future audio setup will be 100% from what you will suggest to me in this post, so please suggest some good stuff and if you can describe your experience with it, I would be grateful!
English is my second language so bear with me. :)

AKG K702 might be outside your budget and that does not include whatever you get for driving headphones.
Get a Sound Blaster Z sound card and the AKG K612 Pro headphones.
The AKG K7XX would be a little better, but it may not be easy for you to get one.
The ATH-AD900X is also a reasonable choice.

Jun 23, 2015 at 5:33 AM Post #4 of 5
  Sound card choice is largely based on what virtual surround tech suits you best, since they all bear competent DACs nowadays.

For a start, you might want to try installing modded Realtek drivers with the X-Fi MB3 software to try out at first. X-Fi MB3 sets itself up as a virtual audio device and has the SBX Pro Studio features present in their current Z-series cards.

The more important choice boils down to your headphones, really. $300 is plenty, possibly more than you even need.

In addition to the AD900, I'd suggest an AKG K612 or Sony MDR-MA900 to consider, since both are fairly comfortable and sound open enough to work well with virtual surround for games. I'll even offer up my MA900 if that's the one you want.

If you need a mic, that's what the ModMic is for. Unfortunately, I can't suggest the BoomPro mic because all of the aforementioned headphones have hard-wired cables, so you'll just have to deal with the added cable spaghetti the ModMic brings alongside your existing headphone cable.

AKG K702 might be outside your budget and that does not include whatever you get for driving headphones.
Get a Sound Blaster Z sound card and the AKG K612 Pro headphones.
The AKG K7XX would be a little better, but it may not be easy for you to get one.
The ATH-AD900X is also a reasonable choice.

Thanks for replying!

I think I will go for Sound blaster Z, what about AKG Q701 ?

Is it good headphones for gaming and watching movies ?

Jun 23, 2015 at 3:39 PM Post #5 of 5
  Thanks for replying!
I think I will go for Sound blaster Z, what about AKG Q701 ?
Is it good headphones for gaming and watching movies ?

I would assume the Q701 is fine for gaming and movies.
I know my K7XX is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back