Best pair of headphones to go with an iPod
Oct 17, 2008 at 7:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

dimsumlee

New Head-Fier
I just picked up a new iPod 6gen on the cheap and I was wondering what headphones you guys would recommend to go with it. I've tried doing some research but I'm lost--people have so many different opinions about headphones.

I listen to every genre of music, except for country... So on any given day, I could be listening to Necrophagist one moment and Cut Copy the next and then later switch on to Simon and Garfunkel, so I'd like a good all-around pair. I was about to pull the trigger on a pair of Sennheiser HD595s, but I read they aren't good for rock music.

I'm looking for over the ear headphones, no earbuds or in-ear headphones. I don't really care if they are open or closed (I don't listen to my music too loud anyway).

My price range is probably up to $150.

Thanks for your time!

Oct 17, 2008 at 7:31 PM Post #2 of 5
check out the denon ah-d1001. They hover around $80 on buy.com and amazon.

I own them for ipod use because they are very easy to power (low impedance) and do not require an amp.

They are extremely comfortable, portable, and seemingly durable.

As far as sound quality goes, the d1001 are great for the price. I like them for all music from acoustic, to electronic, to jazz, to metal. I also listen to all kinds of music. They are quite clear and provide good soundstage and instrument separation for the price.

The bass is good and plentiful without being muddy or "fake". The mids are present and clear. The highs aren't shrill and not extremely strong. I would say the highs are great for comfortable listening.

I love these headphones and my next full-size will definitely be the denon 2000 which run about $200 on buy.com. The d2000 are supposed to be quite the step up from the already-great ah-d1001. If I were you, I'd buy the d1001 if I needed phones now, or I'd save $50 and buy the d2000.

Either pair of these denons are great contenders in their respective price ranges.

Oh, and welcome to head-fi and sorry about your wallet.

Oct 18, 2008 at 3:45 AM Post #4 of 5
Have you searched on the forums at all dude? There are a billion review threads that compare tons of different buds, all of which would be infinitely more helpful to you than to start yet a new thread about the same topic...

Oct 18, 2008 at 5:10 AM Post #5 of 5
^ But he doesn't want buds...

If you're looking for full-sizes headphones, the D1001s are certainly a good place to start. I started with Sennheiser D201s myself, but it looks like your budget's higher than mine.

If you want smaller, more portable headphones instead, the Sennheiser PX100s and Koss PortaPros are the ~$50 winners. More will get you better, of course, to some extent. A little more will score you some SR60s, a little more than that will get you Alessandro MS-1. Now, these are smaller than the D1001s (well...the SR60s and MS-1 might be about the same size), but they're not necessarily more portable for a variety of reasons.

Anyway, that should get you started...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back