best pair of cans for the budget of $350 for a 17yr old
Oct 28, 2010 at 3:41 PM Post #46 of 57

Quote:
There is no (read 0) correlation between ohms and sound quality, although some swear the beyer dynamic 600 ohm variants sounds better.

The FiiO would not suffice as it does not provide the voltage swing a 600 ohm headphone would need.

You can definitely find a headphone that sounds good out of macbook and ipod, but you should consider isolation too. Regardless of how good the headphone is, if you are in a noisy environment, it won't sound so good.

Rap and hip hop tend to be very poorly recorded and produced, so you should look more for a headphone that will complement those genres well over actual sound quality. D2000 and Ultrasone Pro 750 would be a good place to look. The audio technica suggestions weren't bad either. of the 3 brands mentioned, Denon is probably the only one that would improve with an amp.

I wonder if ohms and sound quality is more based on psi phenomena xD
There has to be an additional reason why phones sound better with greater ohms.

Oct 28, 2010 at 3:58 PM Post #47 of 57

Quote:

I wonder if ohms and sound quality is more based on psi phenomena xD
There has to be an additional reason why phones sound better with greater ohms.

There is 0, zilch, nada, no, none, insert synonym here evidence that higher ohms = better sound.

This misconception is also generally limited to the beyerdynamic line of headphones.  There are just as many people who prefer the 250 ohm versions to the 600 ohm as there are vice versa.

Grado have an impedance of 32, Audio Technica generally have an impedance of 42, Sennheiser (high end models) have an impedance of 300, beyerdynamic have 32, 250 and 600 ohm variants for all high end models save the T1. Denon have an impedance of 25, audeze has an impedance of 50 ohms, HE5LE are 30 ohms.

Given that beyerdynamic is the ONLY headphone manufacturer to go as high as 600 ohms, and that any brand can be subjectively viewed as superior to the beyerdynamic 600 ohm headphones the reason obviously boils down to people assuming/thinking that higher ohms = better. The other possibility is their amp matching better with high ohm headphones. 

*poof* goes your theory :p

Oct 28, 2010 at 4:07 PM Post #48 of 57

Quote:

There is 0, zilch, nada, no, none, insert synonym here evidence that higher ohms = better sound.

This misconception is also generally limited to the beyerdynamic line of headphones.  There are just as many people who prefer the 250 ohm versions to the 600 ohm as there are vice versa.

Grado have an impedance of 32, Audio Technica generally have an impedance of 42, Sennheiser (high end models) have an impedance of 300, beyerdynamic have 32, 250 and 600 ohm variants for all high end models save the T1. Denon have an impedance of 25, audeze has an impedance of 50 ohms, HE5LE are 30 ohms.

Given that beyerdynamic is the ONLY headphone manufacturer to go as high as 600 ohms, and that any brand can be subjectively viewed as superior to the beyerdynamic 600 ohm headphones the reason obviously boils down to people assuming/thinking that higher ohms = better. The other possibility is their amp matching better with high ohm headphones. 

*poof* goes your theory :p

hmm that doesn't necessary provide concrete evidence.  false causality. my theory? I didn't have one haha.
but that has nothing to do with disproving parapsychology as a reason why there could be an association of the two.

Oct 28, 2010 at 4:12 PM Post #49 of 57

Quote:
hmm that doesn't necessary provide concrete evidence.  false causality. my theory? I didn't have one haha.
but that has nothing to do with disproving parapsychology as a reason why there could be an association of the two.

lol... paraspychology. There are enough proved psychological issues on this site that parapsychology is the last place to look for explanation :p.

I didn't prove anything, I just disproved one thing.

impedance (a) does not necessarily cause sound quality (b). Therefore there is no causal relationship between either values.

Oct 28, 2010 at 4:40 PM Post #50 of 57

Quote:
lol... paraspychology. There are enough proved psychological issues on this site that parapsychology is the last place to look for explanation :p.

I didn't prove anything, I just disproved one thing.

impedance (a) does not necessarily cause sound quality (b). Therefore there is no causal relationship between either values.

Men of broader intellect know that there is no sharp distinction betwixt the real and the unreal...

Hmm, psychology honestly doesn't do **** xD
So many unanswered questions on the core of existence.

Even though you may classify parapsychology as a pseudo-science, it is nonetheless a broad field of study that may lead to a paradigm breakthrough.

Oct 28, 2010 at 4:54 PM Post #52 of 57

Quote:
As an 18 year old who got the HD 650s when I was 17, I strongly recommend blowing all your money on headphones while you have excellent hearing unlike your half-deaf dad. xD

Hmm, when i was 15 I had a pair of electrostats =]

Oct 29, 2010 at 8:47 PM Post #53 of 57

Quote:
Men of broader intellect know that there is no sharp distinction betwixt the real and the unreal...

Hmm, psychology honestly doesn't do **** xD
So many unanswered questions on the core of existence.

Even though you may classify parapsychology as a pseudo-science, it is nonetheless a broad field of study that may lead to a paradigm breakthrough.

Saying something is useless because it does not explain everything is a pretty stupid statement, no offence.

considering all of science is based on the probability of something being true, and not 100% true, with logic like that I assume you will not be sending your children to school?

Human psychology does lots, and not it does not explain everything.

Sure parapsychology is a science/pseudoscience and could lead to great stuff... but I don't care lol and wasn't arguing with you. I was just saying there are enough explanations within contemporary and accepted psychology to explain things around head-fi that one does not need to turn to far fetched stuff like pseudo science.

Hearing is just as much psychological as it is a stimuli.You are never working with raw info which is most likely why people hear differences in cables... their mind is up to no good because they believe there will be a change.

Oct 29, 2010 at 9:17 PM Post #54 of 57
Thread reopened after a heavy cleanup.

Those most responsible for the derailment have been warned.  If you decide to make another mess in this thread, I'll close it for good and send a few folks on a temporary vacation.

If you don't want to give an honest or thoughtful response to the OP, keep your mouth shut and move along to another thread.

Oct 29, 2010 at 11:55 PM Post #55 of 57
Would seriously consider the Jerry Harvey JH5 if you can somehow stretch to $399. Buys you into one of the premier makers and will have great sound and custom fit. You won't need an amp with them either.

http://www.jhaudio.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=6

Oct 30, 2010 at 12:13 AM Post #56 of 57

Quote:
RE: "best pair of cans for the budget of $350 for a 17yr old"

If you are only 17, just get some Grado SR 60/80's, they'll satisfy your headphone needs, spend the rest of the money you have saved on chasing some tail & getting laid.

- augustwest

+1!

Grados are a lot of fun to listen to, produce good bass even being open, and are very easy to drive! (Bass will benefit a bit from an amp, but you'd have to sit down and a/b to tell..) I've been very happy with my SR325i for several years now, even though they haven't gotten me laid. I wouldn't use them on the go either, because they're prone to fall off if I'm active. Also, I found them uncomfortable with the stock pads. Get Sennheiser HD414 pads for them and read about the "quarter mod."  Anyway, when I'm on the move with my Zune, I make due with some really dismal cheap buds. I just don't seem to care as much when I'm out and about.

Oct 30, 2010 at 12:22 AM Post #57 of 57
just get the M50 and a iBasso PB1
you wont regret it..

and its well within your budget..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back