best pair of cans for the budget of $350 for a 17yr old
Oct 26, 2010 at 11:25 PM Post #16 of 57
that's y i need yall help.

It seems you've set a realistic budget.  Are you going be using them on the road or just at home?

???

FWIW, the answer to your question has a few twists and turns to it as to sound quality, portability and overall price for a decent rig.

Oct 26, 2010 at 11:29 PM Post #18 of 57
umm beeman ill be using them for travel purposes and home purpose as well. and i dont understand is it hard to explain the ohms in headphones. can someone explain the benefits of lower ohms and higher ohms, also what do they mean in general and do they have any effect on sound quality?

Oct 26, 2010 at 11:31 PM Post #19 of 57
No, the Fiio E5 is very entry level that works well for the price but won't efficiently drive a 600ohm headphone.

You'll need a desktop amp. Fiio is actually about to release the E9, which is their desktop amp, and so far from initial impressions, it may be the new price/performance king, but don't quote me on that. As far as for portable use, I don't think Beyers are gonna do particularly well outside...

I'll paste this off the pm I sent you...

Okay, I see.

The typical audiophile prefers a balanced sound across the entire frequency. Two of the most popular offerings are from Beyerdynamics.

The DT880 600ohm (open backed headphone, so sound leaks out, but sounds airier, and has more width and depth to the sound)

and

DT770 600ohm (closed, giving you isolation and minimal sound leakage, as well as stronger bass)

are well loved here as great audiophile headphones in the $250 price range.

As far as hard to drive headphones go, these two aren't actually THAT hard to drive, so a somewhat decent amplifier can help drive them good enough, until you can afford a really good amp that will cost you nearly as much as your $350 budget. I don't know what amps work well for these two, but I have the DT990/600 and plan on getting the Fiio E9 which is gonna cost me $130 or less, to go with my Fiio E7 portable amp/dac. Another cheap offering that can tide you over until you have some money for a good amp is the Bravo V2 which can be found on ebay on auctions that go for normally $30-80, and is pretty powerful for the price. I have friends online that own it and love it, and they both own DT880s.

Oct 26, 2010 at 11:40 PM Post #22 of 57
What does your age have anything to do with owning good headphones?  Is there some law i do not know about?

Sorry, I cannot recommend anything good to you unless you are 18 or older.  Sorry, its DA LAW.

lol jk, ath es7?

Oct 26, 2010 at 11:40 PM Post #23 of 57
RE: "best pair of cans for the budget of $350 for a 17yr old"

If you are only 17, just get some Grado SR 60/80's, they'll satisfy your headphone needs, spend the rest of the money you have saved on chasing some tail & getting laid.

- augustwest

Oct 26, 2010 at 11:41 PM Post #24 of 57
As far as what ohms mean, you can google that, but an easy answer is that typically, the higher the ohm rating, the harder to drive. 600ohm headphones NEED a decent desktop amp to get anything near what they're supposed to sound like. Since you wanna start off with a good audiophile headphone and an amp, AND wanna use it on the go, I'd say start off with a headphone that has around 32ohms and buy a portable amp. Fiio's E7 is a great performer for the price ($80-100).

I know it worked well with my DT880 32ohms, but that was an open ear headphone that leaks out sound and lets sound in, as well as the DT880 being slightly too big for portable use, IMHO.

How about starting off with the M50 and the E7? I have used them together, and it rocks.

Oct 26, 2010 at 11:42 PM Post #25 of 57
umm beeman ill be using them for travel purposes and home purpose as well. and i dont understand is it hard to explain the ohms in headphones.

It's not about Ohms or efficiency of the headphones.  It's about the sound creation chain from the quality of the recording and choice of rip to how well you've EQ'd the system to accurately match your hearing and everything in between.  Also, it's all about money and how much of it you've got to throw at this project.

Before you write about headphones, you need to write about how you're going use the headphones or IEM's.  There is no one size fits all solution.  The answer has to be tailored to your particular usage.  As I wrote, the answer has a lot of twists and turns to the answer.  It's not a simple, pay the price and get your answer sort of question.

Oct 26, 2010 at 11:44 PM Post #26 of 57
okay man thanks for all the help! is that the equipment u currently posses? and i dont want any sound to leak but i dont care about sound getting in because i will be blasting the music loud. so which beyers shud i get?

Oct 26, 2010 at 11:51 PM Post #27 of 57
and beeman im gonna use them as general and travel purposes. i go to school i want to use them then, i come home listen to music a lot and i travel sometimes. i need audiphile equipment that matches all of these criterias. mad lust envy pretty much summerized it for me but i need to know which beyer headphones shud i get that seal the sound from going out.

Oct 26, 2010 at 11:53 PM Post #28 of 57
lol, im sorry but a few of these "im X years old" topics appeared lately and they are funny, as i just dont understand them

its like, hai, my name is mike and im white, recommend me some headphones?  

I dont think your age really has anything to do with anything less you are a little kid and some larger full sized cans cant fit on your head.  Also to Bee, ohmage should be the most important factor beyond you enjoying the sound itself.  

Oct 26, 2010 at 11:56 PM Post #29 of 57
okay im sorry for putting the 17 year old thing up, i admit it was pretty stupid. but can u better help me clarify what ohms are and how they effect headphones and quality. and give me another sugesstion of best pair of audiophile headphones within 350 dollars.

mad lust envy pretty much gave me a brilliant idea but i want to listen to other peoples opinions before i do anything

Oct 26, 2010 at 11:57 PM Post #30 of 57

Quote:
RE: "best pair of cans for the budget of $350 for a 17yr old"

If you are only 17, just get some Grado SR 60/80's, they'll satisfy your headphone needs, spend the rest of the money you have saved on chasing some tail & getting laid.

- augustwest

As a 17 year old, I strongly endorse this message.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back