Best over headphones under $300
Jul 17, 2013 at 4:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

NicoFage

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I do not currently own a headphone except for the apple headphones that came with my iphone and was seeking some professional help on finding an over the ear headphone under $300 for my needs.
  1. Will be used for music(Pop, R&B/Soul, Hip-Hop, Rap, Rock, basically all music genres) and movies and T.V shows.
  1. It will be connected to my iphone and my macbook pro and will be used in my room, airplane rides, and car rides.
  2. I would like a headphone with noise canceling if possible
  3. I am 17 years old so something aesthetically pleasing would also be nice.
  4. I like heavy bass but since I am using this for movies too I would like a neutral and balanced headphone
  5. Comfortable and able to be worn for several hours without too much discomfort and irritation
I liked the AKG K490 NC headphones but i'm not sure if it is the best one I could buy for the price and if it fits all my criteria.

Jul 17, 2013 at 6:10 PM Post #2 of 9
Quote:
Hi,

I do not currently own a headphone except for the apple headphones that came with my iphone and was seeking some professional help on finding an over the ear headphone under $300 for my needs.
  1. Will be used for music(Pop, R&B/Soul, Hip-Hop, Rap, Rock, basically all music genres) and movies and T.V shows.
  1. It will be connected to my iphone and my macbook pro and will be used in my room, airplane rides, and car rides.
  2. I would like a headphone with noise canceling if possible
  3. I am 17 years old so something aesthetically pleasing would also be nice.
  4. I like heavy bass but since I am using this for movies too I would like a neutral and balanced headphone
  5. Comfortable and able to be worn for several hours without too much discomfort and irritation
I liked the AKG K490 NC headphones but i'm not sure if it is the best one I could buy for the price and if it fits all my criteria.

When you said all of your needs, i instantly thought of one headphone within the price range. The Sony MDR-1R.

These headphones are great for all types of genres, Low frequencies doesnt muddle up the Mids and Highs, and it isnt a V sound signature. One of my favorites.

Note of concern though, you do not need active noise cancelling features (unless it is really really noisy at your place). Active noise cancelling tends to make the sound more reccessed and more forced than it should be. The Sony MDR-1R are Passive Noise-Cancelling, meaning it doesnt require power to cancel out noise. Although if you do want active noise cancelling headphones, the Sony MDR-1RNC are a pair of NC headphones. Also check out the Bose QC15.

Jul 18, 2013 at 1:12 AM Post #4 of 9
The V-Moda M100 is also a terrific choice for your needs, and it also looks good and is bass heavy.

If you want to go $50 more, you have the Sennheiser Momentum. A slight step above the M100's and MDR 1r's in terms of sound quality, also the most neutral out of the three. You may want to try them out first, some people complain that the ear cups are too small for their ears.

Jul 18, 2013 at 9:59 AM Post #7 of 9
Hello!

Not sure if you have bought the MDR-1R but the PSB M4U1 is a much better headphone than the MDR-1R for your use since you mention that you need something balance. The 1R are not at all neutral in my opinion. If you do not like the build of PSB, the AKG K550 will do as well! Both the PSB AND AKG I mentioned have bass that extends deep so it should satisfy your music listening and the your movies.

Just do note that the AKG K550 have a big earcups, you might want to test it before buying. Other than those two, the UE6000 is also a smart choice for your needs although it is just $200 but hey! It has got Active NC with a pretty neutral with a few dB boost at the bass.

Hope this helps!
Billson :)

Jul 18, 2013 at 12:44 PM Post #8 of 9
Wow! I'm now choosing between the Sennheiser, Sony, and Psb haha. I think imma try them all out and see which one feels better since i like the design of all of them and i'm sure the sound quality will be good on them all. Thanks everyone for their recommendations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back