Best Over ear headphones for under $100?
Jan 14, 2012 at 9:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

Nizi123

100+ Head-Fier
I'm fairly new to the Over-ear headphone world. Right now i have some Sennheiser HD 202's. I got em for like $20 and i don't really spend more than that on headphones. But the 202's sound really good to me because all the other headphones i owned before were crap. Now, i feel like there is so much out there that i'm missing out on.

I wanted to know which headphones under $100 have the best sound quality and also nicely built like sennheisers. I would like to get sennheisers because they seem pretty big in the headphone industry but i haven't really experienced any other brands. 

I want around-the-ear, not on the ear or in ear. The 202's i have kind of press down on my ears making it hard to wear for long periods of time. 

There is an HD 555 headphones online for $42 used, like new condition, no box, manuals or warranty. Of course they might not be "like new" but its a pretty good deal.

I listen to rap, hip hop, rock. No country or classical music. 

I was also looking at the hd 515's. For $87, they seem ok.

What other brands have good around ear headphones? Under $100? 

Thank you

Jan 14, 2012 at 10:07 PM Post #2 of 36
The HD555s are a steal for $42, though they're not usually recommended for rap or hip-hop.  Then again, if you like the HD202s, they might fit your needs - I'll leave that to someone who's actually heard the HD202s though.

Other possibilities: Shure SRH-440, Creative Aurvana Live, Koss Pro DJ100, Superlux 668B/Samson SR-850.  The Ultrasone HFI-580s are a tad over your budget (~$100-$120), but they're one of the most recommended headphones for bass-heavy genres around $100.

Jan 14, 2012 at 10:12 PM Post #3 of 36
Creative Aurvana Live, DT-235 and DJ100 are some of the best pairs I've tried. The DJ100 is my favorite, but there's lots of weird people who don't think it has enough bass. I actually think it's close to being bass heavy!

HD-668B doesn't fit my signature, preference but it's much better than a lot of other headphones in it's price range. It's focus is mostly bass and treble. I found it's mids too recessed, but some like this.

Jan 14, 2012 at 10:53 PM Post #4 of 36
The Ultrasone HFI-450's are not very popular here, but they have a nice bass response and do well with your genres. Can be found for less than $100. 

Jan 15, 2012 at 10:41 AM Post #5 of 36
i also read that to use headphones like the hd 555, you should probably have an amp otherwise the headphones wont sound so great. Is that true? 
And what plug does the hd555 come with?

Jan 15, 2012 at 10:46 AM Post #6 of 36
The Sony MDR-V6, which is right at $100, is a very fine headphone and worthy of your consideration.

Jan 15, 2012 at 1:44 PM Post #7 of 36

Quote:
i also read that to use headphones like the hd 555, you should probably have an amp otherwise the headphones wont sound so great. Is that true? 
And what plug does the hd555 come with?

Spec wise, the HD555 should be driveable by a portable player, however, it is possible that an amp may help its sound quality. It comes with 6.3mm plug, but does have a 3.5mm adapter included.

Jan 15, 2012 at 3:07 PM Post #8 of 36

Quote:
Spec wise, the HD555 should be driveable by a portable player, however, it is possible that an amp may help its sound quality. It comes with 6.3mm plug, but does have a 3.5mm adapter included.

Yes, they work just fine without an amp.  I've used mine straight out of my S9, as well as with my laptop's onboard sound.

Jan 15, 2012 at 3:32 PM Post #9 of 36
If you like Sennheiser, the HD280 Pro ($99.95 on Headroom) may fit your bill. While the Sony MDR-V6, which it is often compared to, lacks real sub-bass, the HD280 Pro have plenty, while not letting it drown out anything. It's a flatter-sounding headphone (no range is accentuated over another), but it would work well with your genres. It's a great starter headphone from a brand you already know well, and it's built well enough to survive plenty of abuse.

Sincerely,

Jan 15, 2012 at 3:39 PM Post #10 of 36

Quote:
I'm fairly new to the Over-ear headphone world. Right now i have some Sennheiser HD 202's. I got em for like $20 and i don't really spend more than that on headphones. But the 202's sound really good to me because all the other headphones i owned before were crap. Now, i feel like there is so much out there that i'm missing out on.

I wanted to know which headphones under $100 have the best sound quality and also nicely built like sennheisers. I would like to get sennheisers because they seem pretty big in the headphone industry but i haven't really experienced any other brands. 

I want around-the-ear, not on the ear or in ear. The 202's i have kind of press down on my ears making it hard to wear for long periods of time. 

There is an HD 555 headphones online for $42 used, like new condition, no box, manuals or warranty. Of course they might not be "like new" but its a pretty good deal.

I listen to rap, hip hop, rock. No country or classical music. 

I was also looking at the hd 515's. For $87, they seem ok.

What other brands have good around ear headphones? Under $100? 

Thank you

best bang for the buck would be the grado sr60i or sr80i.

Jan 15, 2012 at 5:15 PM Post #11 of 36
If you want more bass, how about the $40(amazon) JVC HAM750? It is also very efficient at 115 db/mw 32 ohms.

Jan 15, 2012 at 5:15 PM Post #12 of 36
If you want more bass, how about the $40(amazon) JVC HAM750? It is also very efficient at 115 db/mw 32 ohms.

Jan 16, 2012 at 10:39 PM Post #13 of 36
unfortunately, the HD 555's sold out just before i was about to buy it. There is also this wesite, DAKMART.com, says they're an authorized dealer. They have some really low prices on alot of headphones. They don't seem that legit though. You have to call or email to use paypal? Has anyone used that wesite before? They also have a amazon store but they don't have alot there. 

Jan 16, 2012 at 10:44 PM Post #14 of 36

Quote:
unfortunately, the HD 555's sold out just before i was about to buy it. There is also this wesite, DAKMART.com, says they're an authorized dealer. They have some really low prices on alot of headphones. They don't seem that legit though. You have to call or email to use paypal? Has anyone used that wesite before? They also have a amazon store but they don't have alot there. 

I've used their Amazon storefront; got my HD555s from them.  They're legit, but most of the headphones are open box/refurbished/B-stock - that's why they're priced so low.  Mine work fine, and I haven't heard any complaints from other people who have bought from them.  Just know that refurbished Sennheisers only have a 90-day warranty instead of the standard 2 years.

Jan 16, 2012 at 10:59 PM Post #15 of 36

Quote:

I've used their Amazon storefront; got my HD555s from them.  They're legit, but most of the headphones are open box/refurbished/B-stock - that's why they're priced so low.  Mine work fine, and I haven't heard any complaints from other people who have bought from them.  Just know that refurbished Sennheisers only have a 90-day warranty instead of the standard 2 years.

They were selling the used HD 555's for $42. I should have bought it because that was a heck of a deal. But their website has really good deals. Even better than amazon (most of the time). It's really tempting but i don't want to risk anything. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back