Best Open Headphones for Gaming? $300-$500
Apr 10, 2018 at 12:46 PM Post #16 of 50
I own many headphones, but for gaming I trust my Philips X1 - they are unbelievably good for gaming, my second goto are my DT990.

Apr 10, 2018 at 12:47 PM Post #17 of 50
Apr 10, 2018 at 2:22 PM Post #19 of 50
That is so bold! how long do you generally game with those??? my ears would ache so bad. I'm not the most educated person on headphones but i'm not sure those are open back either.

he is trolling you - HD1 are closed back, and wireless. In my testing with wireless headphones they have a pretty noticeable delay between action on screen vs what you hear.

Apr 10, 2018 at 5:43 PM Post #20 of 50
Hey everyone, thank you for sharing and please continue. I just picked up the Sennheiser HD6XX (650), AKG 7XX and HE-4XX all from Massdrop. So far I’m really digging my AKG7XX for PUBG. What’s crazy is that you notice how bad gaming companies focus on their surround sound quality. Some games sound great like WITCHER 3, but I wish gaming companies were able to give us True HD Master Audio mixes or Dolby Digital Atmos in their games. I have yet to try my 6XX or 4XX since the cables they include are so short for living room gaming.

May 2, 2018 at 3:37 PM Post #22 of 50
Silly question considering the price pointy but give Koss Porta Pro a try. It's a banger of a headphone. Open, very comfy and with sound many times the price. I wouldn't say it's an underrated headphone but defienietly overlooked because it does not look like much

May 2, 2018 at 5:00 PM Post #23 of 50
Silly question considering the price pointy but give Koss Porta Pro a try. It's a banger of a headphone. Open, very comfy and with sound many times the price. I wouldn't say it's an underrated headphone but defienietly overlooked because it does not look like much

Or the Koss KPH30i as well... more comfortable, cheaper, and has built in microphone that works well plugged into a controller. Might just be the best cheapest gaming headset you can get at $20.

Last edited:
May 5, 2018 at 3:00 AM Post #24 of 50
+1 DT990 is very good for gaming, I use it as my backup pair behind HE-400i.

I feel the DT990's more prominent bass leads to better immersiveness while the HE-400i has better imaging, more detail, and is more comfortable (DT990 triggers a hotspot on the top of my skull worse than any other headphones I have). However, with a Loki the HE-400i + Loki basically relegated my DT990s to the stand...until the HE-400i's yoke broke. So now I'm thankful I have the DT990 in reserve :beyersmile:

Looking to get a HD700 after seeing repeated endorsements in a few threads here.

The 400i feels to bulky and slightly on the heavy side for long gaming sessions. It sounds awesome though but sold mine quite early due to QC issues I've read about HiFiMans.

Jun 10, 2018 at 7:14 AM Post #26 of 50
im searching for a open back gaming headphone too but the Beyerdynamic MMX 300 looks tempting, any other recommendation? not a lot of reviews on that too

Jul 4, 2018 at 5:59 PM Post #27 of 50
The MMX is basically a DT770 with a boom mic. Not bad, I use it for gaming, but you'll miss the soundstage and it suffers from muddles mid and highs.
Not to say its bad, it's just that for that price you can go DT990 which might suit you better.

So if you want to look for reviews on the MMX300, you can just read the DT770 reviews :)

Jul 7, 2018 at 6:42 PM Post #28 of 50
The MMX is basically a DT770 with a boom mic. Not bad, I use it for gaming, but you'll miss the soundstage and it suffers from muddles mid and highs.
Not to say its bad, it's just that for that price you can go DT990 which might suit you better.

So if you want to look for reviews on the MMX300, you can just read the DT770 reviews :)
Thanks for reply :) but I moved on because went to try the MMX300 it's not comfortable for me as ppl reviewed so I think DT770 won't fit me too I'm currently looking towards GSP 500 but it looks a bit bulky and haven really tested it.

Jul 9, 2018 at 3:48 PM Post #29 of 50
Hey everyone. Since I started this thread I've been doing research and, I took a step back. There is no need to spend $300-$500 on cans for video games. Lower priced cans today are matching those in that price range and more. But if you want wide soundstage for gaming you can get the Monoprice 1060 (planar) $279.99, on their site. AKG 7XX for $199 (great soundstage), Hifiman HE-4XX for $169.99, and if you want an all around headphone, with sounds that give the HD 650 a run for it's money, than I would recommend the HD 58X-Jubilee. No reason to spend more than $300, maybe not even $200. The game has changed.

Jul 14, 2018 at 8:35 PM Post #30 of 50
DT770-80 works very well with Xbox One. Closed headphones for that focus you need, very immersive experience, super comfortable, and the Xbox controller amplifies the DT770-80 so well you won't need any extra amping, the controller actually somehow gives out very decent SQ. Only drawback is figuring some way of getting a mic to work with this setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back