Best open headphone for rock.
Aug 14, 2009 at 7:56 PM Post #16 of 22
I'd say the Grados since you just want the heaphone for that genre. You seem to be set for other genres so the grado 225s for around $200, $150 easy used is a good deal.

Aug 14, 2009 at 8:31 PM Post #17 of 22
If you are looking for rock cans, grado is the best. That said, if you don't already feel that way after having the 60s, I wouldn't go farther up the chain. Higher end grados simply improve upon the lower ends in terms of bass, highs, separation etc. The sound sig doesn't change, so don't think that the 225s or any other grado thru the Reference Series will give you a different presentation than the 60s.

Also, all grados sans ps1k and gs1k sit on the ears.

Aug 14, 2009 at 11:37 PM Post #18 of 22
Oh, I do think the SR60i are fab for rock and metal on my iPod. I have no problem with Grado sound at all. If the 225i sound similar but with even more bass and separation, I'm in!

Aug 14, 2009 at 11:54 PM Post #19 of 22
Try the DT990 600 ohm. I enjoyed them on rock. Compared to the DT880/250, you'll hear an increase in bass, the vocals pushed a little back in the mix (less presence), and some added sparkle to cymbals. Rock on!
evil_smiley.gif

Aug 15, 2009 at 3:08 AM Post #21 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by tintin47 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you are looking for rock cans, grado is the best. That said, if you don't already feel that way after having the 60s, I wouldn't go farther up the chain. Higher end grados simply improve upon the lower ends in terms of bass, highs, separation etc. The sound sig doesn't change, so don't think that the 225s or any other grado thru the Reference Series will give you a different presentation than the 60s.

Also, all grados sans ps1k and gs1k sit on the ears.

More like slightly abraid the ears, isn't it?
regular_smile .gif
I would also say that as you move up the Grado line, you get something more of a depth and a soundstage, such as it is with Grado. Somewhat more dimensionality to the presentation. Or maybe it's just me.

Aug 15, 2009 at 2:00 PM Post #22 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Palpatine /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh, I do think the SR60i are fab for rock and metal on my iPod. I have no problem with Grado sound at all. If the 225i sound similar but with even more bass and separation, I'm in!

I never heard SR60 or SR225 but it's known that except GS1000 and PS1000, no grado have dominant bass. SR-225 will sound bass light comprared to your DT-770. I agree with others, Grado are great for rock and guitar oriented material. And I think they will be a good complementary can in your current inventory.

As for the HD-650, they are great HP, but they are just too soft for rock IMHO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back