Best open headphone for EDM under $400
Feb 9, 2013 at 12:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

floeezy

100+ Head-Fier
This may sound like an oxymoron, but are there any open headphones that are great for EDM? I also listen to rock, classical, ambient (chillout, post-rock), but I would like these headphones to excel at Electronic Dance Music. For example, I would love for these headphones to accurately reproduce the vocals of Emma Hewitt or Jonathan Mendelsohn in some Dash Berlin tracks and also to give that crisp bass in some house songs. I already have a pair of Ultrasone HFI-780 which are great for EDM, but I am looking for a different musical experience, an "around you" instead of an "in your head" experience, so soundstage is very important too. Here is a summary:

Use: At home.

Priorities: The 4 main attributes I would be looking for are (ranked in value) comfort > soundstage > bass > speed. My Ultrasone HFI-780s have great bass and speed, but so-so comfort and soundstage.

Music Genres: I mainly listen to electronic music (trance, house, electro, drum and bass), but also to rock, classical, and ambient (chillout, post-rock).

Source: iPod touch 4g and Asus N56VZ laptop (soundcard: RealTek ALC663). Perhaps I'll buy the Schitt Modi if needed. 320 kbps mp3s.

Amplifier: I have a Meier-Audio Corda Headsix portable amp to drive the headphones I would get; I've asked around and apparently this amp should be fine to drive these headphones. However, I will couple the Modi with the Magni if necessary.

Headphones considered (with some notes I gathered):

HiFiMAN HE-400:  planar magnetic headphones; a bit heavy but comfortable, great speed, bass, and decent soundstage
Sennheiser HD600: neutral, relaxed; comfortable enough
Sennheiser HD598: Great value and comfortable; easy to drive and apparently soundstage is more alive than in the HD600s.
AKG Q701/K702: apparently I shouldn't even be considering these for EDM; anyhow, amazing soundstage, little bass, neutral; comfort is debatable
Beyerdynamic DT990 250ohm: comfortable and lightweight, recessed mids, and good bass and soundstage
Beyerdynamic DT990 600ohm: similar to the 250 but with even greater bass and soundstage
Grado SR325i: supraarual thus comfort is so-so; apparently great for rock but a bit harsh

Right now I'm leaning more towards the DT990 600ohm or the HE-400, and if I decided to spend less, the HD598. I would probably buy the Schiit Magni-Modi stack to go with the DT990 if I get them.

Should I be considering any other headphones?

Thanks

Feb 9, 2013 at 1:47 PM Post #3 of 14
Thanks for the reply. The HiFiMAN website states that the HE-400 "is 92.5DB efficient so it can be driven by virtually anything including an iPod." Is this in practice true? Would the HE-400 benefit from amping anyways?

Feb 9, 2013 at 2:22 PM Post #4 of 14
Quote:
HE-400 without a doubt. Very satisfied with mine for all genres including EDM.

+1
Quote:
Thanks for the reply. The HiFiMAN website states that the HE-400 "is 92.5DB efficient so it can be driven by virtually anything including an iPod." Is this in practice true? Would the HE-400 benefit from amping anyways?

Can it be driven from a phone? Yes. Will it sound great? No. You'll need an amp to get the best from this hp, but not an expensive one. The e07k will work pretty well for just about $80 shipped. 

Feb 9, 2013 at 2:36 PM Post #5 of 14
Good info. Will my Headsix portable amp (specs below) drive these headphones well?

Supply voltage: 6 .. (9) .. 12 Volts DC
Mean current uptake: 7 mA
Maximal amplification (1 kHz): 4 / 17 dB (low/high gain)
Input impedance: 13 kOhm
Output impedance: < 1 Ohm

Feb 9, 2013 at 3:04 PM Post #6 of 14
Based on the specs, the amp will be fine. The he400 amps so easy I just can't see that amp being a problem. 

Feb 9, 2013 at 3:11 PM Post #7 of 14
The HE-400 looks to be at the top of my list right now. Any other suggestions before I pull the trigger? Maybe a cheaper alternative?

Feb 9, 2013 at 3:18 PM Post #8 of 14
Yes, if you'd consider a closed hp you really should look at the maddog by Mr. Speakers. It's $100 less than the he400 and IMO every bit as good and in some situations better. 

http://www.mrspeakers.com/

Feb 9, 2013 at 3:34 PM Post #9 of 14
Congrats, 5000 posts! I'd really like to have an open-back headphone because I already have two closed-back.

Feb 9, 2013 at 5:14 PM Post #11 of 14
+1 Hifiman HE-400

If you dont mind isolation/leak, HE-400 is way to go IMO. I really think they are best what you can get under 400$

Feb 9, 2013 at 6:14 PM Post #12 of 14
I am interested in this as well. Even though the HE-400 is an open back headphone, how does the bass compare to the closed back Mad Dogs? How about soundstage, details, and instrument separation?

Feb 9, 2013 at 11:01 PM Post #13 of 14
I just pulled the trigger on the HE-400. I will post my impressions, comparing them to the Ultrasone HFI 780 which are great for EDM and the Denon AH-D1001 which are very similar to the Denon AH-D2000.

Feb 9, 2013 at 11:10 PM Post #14 of 14
Nice!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back