Best open back without amplification under $300 recommendations
Dec 19, 2020 at 5:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Michial

100+ Head-Fier
I am looking for recommendations for the best sounding open back headphones I can plug into my laptop or phone to use while working from home. I mainly listen to jazz, classical and some classic rock. I can spend up to $300. Thanks.

Dec 24, 2020 at 2:42 PM Post #3 of 6
I would definitely consider the Shure 1440 since it’s only 37 ohms and goes on sale a lot. I’ve never heard it so I’m not vouching for it, but it definitely fits your need of being easy to drive.

The open back Philips also have a good reputation and are low impedance, and are usually pretty cost effective.

And then you can also take a look at the 32 ohm Beyerdynamics.

Dec 24, 2020 at 11:12 PM Post #4 of 6
My vote would be for the Philips Fidelio X2HR. ~$150 normal price, sometimes go on sale around $100. Can find a really nice pair used for $100 easily, maybe less.

Comfortable, don't need an amp but can benefit from an amp if you decide to get one in the future.

Note that the headphone amps in some laptops are just /trash/. Like, my Lenovo X1 makes /everything/ sound horrible, even super sensitive IEMs. You may very well be better off using your phone, particularly if it's an iPhone or one of LG's "quad DAC" models.

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2020 at 12:01 AM Post #5 of 6
Wow this is one of the more easy questions I have seen. I agree with those above, the Philips X2 HR. for $150, try it with your phone. If you need more /better power & dac take the remainder of your $300 budget and buy an amp/dac !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back