Best online matchmaking site?
May 19, 2008 at 3:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

chia-pet

100+ Head-Fier
I've got a friend who's desperate for some love. So far we've set her up on match.com. Anyone have any success on match.com, eharmony, craigslist, or any others?

If all else fails, maybe we can start a head-fi matchmaking service? Any lonely guys in seattle between the ages of 25 and 30?
wink.gif

May 19, 2008 at 4:01 AM Post #7 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by kjpmkjp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yup, that would work.

Or tell her to go out and try to meet people, in person.

You mean, have her approach guys? Most women frown on that..

May 19, 2008 at 4:24 AM Post #9 of 23
She goes out a lot. Meeting people isn't the problem, it's finding someone who is normal and shares the same outlook as her. She meets lots of duds and people who just aren't right for her. Seattle is a city full of singles who don't know how to get together, and unfortunately my friend is one of those souls.

May 19, 2008 at 4:28 AM Post #10 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by chia-pet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Seattle is a city full of singles who don't know how to get together, and unfortunately my friend is one of those souls.

Well, it could be worse and she could be in L.A.
smily_headphones1.gif
where people get together way too often without actually being "together."

May 19, 2008 at 1:10 PM Post #13 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by bhd812 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I now know where my next vacation is going to be...thanx
tongue.gif

Me too
wink.gif

That being said, you do know why they call people from Aus from down under right.

May 19, 2008 at 2:36 PM Post #15 of 23
Well, I met my girlfriend on match.com, and we've been together for almost four years now. I do think that online dating makes a lot more sense than going to a bar and hoping to meet someone with whom you might be compatible. By letting prospective partners know certain things about you right up front, you might get fewer dates, but the ones you do have should be better matches.

I know a couple of other people that have used online dating sites. They've all tried match.com, which has worked out OK; all of them have had long-term relationships that resulted from that site (though some of them are now over). No one I know has had success with eHarmony. My girlfriend was on it for a little while, and said that they don't let you choose any partner you might want. Instead, they give you a list of people with whom they think you might be compatible, and if you don't like any of them, too bad, because they won't give you any more options. If that's the case, you would just have to wait for someone new to join the site with a similar personality profile, which can take months. The one date she had through eHarmony was an unmitigated disaster. When you factor in the price, eHarmony is even less appealing.

One of my friends cycles through the dating sites every few months (goes on one for a little while, then tries a different site for a few months, then goes on hiatus for a month or two, then goes back to another dating site). He figures that this gives him exposure to a lot more people than if he just restricted himself to one site, but keeps the cost down. Some people will be on multiple sites at the same time, but that can get pretty expensive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back