Best on-ear or neckband open back headphones
May 14, 2012 at 7:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Tonto1977

New Head-Fier
Hi there, first post from Sydney Australia!
I have a new Sony Xperia S that I will be using for cycling and around town. I will be using the onboard amp and I listen to grunge/alt rock/classic rock. Think Radiohead/Led Zepplin/REM
Reason for open back is so I can still hear what is around me. Reason for neckband or on-ear is ear buds irritate me and I'm bald so headbands slide off and look abit naf! Also it needs to fit with my bike helmet.
Any budget considered below $200 - I am currently looking at iGrados, Sennheiser PMX60/90, Koss KSC75, Yuin G2A, Audio-technica ATH-EM7  
So, wise headphone-a-holics you have my ears!!! (or eyes I guess :D )

Note: This isn't my primary setup, I have an Active speaker setup with DAC from my computer for that :)

May 14, 2012 at 10:54 AM Post #2 of 4
The Koss KSC75 is good buy at under $20. Another choice for a compact low priced open headphone is the Koss Sportapro. Its band can be worn above the head or behind the neck. In the US it is around $25. Imo the best compact open headphone is probably the Sennheiser PX100II. Now most new decent quality headphones are closed.

The Koss Sportapro or KSC75 seem the most practical as they are cheap, and replacement earpads are pretty cheap. The earpads for the PX100Ii are $10 a pair in the US, while the Koss pads for the KSC75 or Sportapro are only around $5 for 3 pairs.

May 14, 2012 at 6:14 PM Post #3 of 4
Thanks for that JK1- headphone prices are insanely cheap in the US! For example the 75s in retail it would cost $49!!!
Its seems like there is a big price gap between the Koss and the Sennheiser ranges, are the Koss THAT GOOD.

May 14, 2012 at 9:13 PM Post #4 of 4
The Koss headphone are cheap in the US, however Sennheiser headphones are now much more expensive in the US than in Europe. $49 for the KSC75 is quite expensive.  How are the Audio Technica, Panasonic, and JVC headphones priced down under? How much is the Sennheiser PX100II? The PX100II is much better than the KSC75.

How much is the Panasonic RP-HX40 priced down under? In the US it is around $21. I haven't heard it yet, however it looks interesting.

My favorite cheap compact headphone is the JVC HA-S160, however it is closed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back