Best of the best gaming cans?
Apr 29, 2006 at 5:47 AM Post #76 of 89
Anyway, why do you want closed headphones for gaming 8 hours straight?
It will be too tiring (clamping, hot, etc).
confused.gif

Get an open ATH instead.
I use my AD5 for playing PS2 and never get tired. Not sure about positioning (I don't play CS), but playing MGS2 Snake Eater, I've been fooled a few times by thinking it was raining outside but it's actually the sound of thunder from the game. The forest stage also sounds very nice (immersive) with the AD5.

Apr 29, 2006 at 6:03 AM Post #77 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by dj_mocok
Anyway, why do you want closed headphones for gaming 8 hours straight?
It will be too tiring (clamping, hot, etc).
confused.gif

Well, I have played cstrike for 3 hours straight with my A900s and they are very comfy, never in a room over 76 degrees though. I think you will be fine. And if not, you can sell them quite easily. BTW, the looks of the A900 and A900ltd are exactly the same except for color and silk screening. They also have better earpads, but it is easy to upgrade the pads of the A900...

Apr 29, 2006 at 6:20 AM Post #78 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by manchau
AFAIK many companies making limited edition to gain reputation rather then mony and to boost their other products sale. By selling just 500 or 1000 piece of any model they're not going to survive especially big companies like Audio Technica in Japan.

You miss my entire point. I never said anything about the company managing to survive on limited edition products. I just don't like the idea of limited edition products that sell out quickly and don't manage to reach a larger group of people. I may be pretty vocal about that, but to respond to your previous statement, you said that the A900 LTD fetches such high prices beyond MSRP. Well, obviously. It's sold out in most places (due to limited edition)!

Apr 29, 2006 at 6:51 AM Post #79 of 89
*****in horde! Lol j/k, but seriously though, some horde just seem to have no manners though. There's nothing wrong with ganking espescially on a PvP server but when someone res-ganks you over and over it's just gay. I don't play too often but I've played a horde(up to about lvl. 19) character a few times and It's not as difficult as alliance(played up to lvl. 26 so far). Any way though this is an interesting thread since the ATH A*** series is usually the standard recommendation for gaming here, but the 770's are apearantly much more highly regarded.

Apr 29, 2006 at 6:56 AM Post #80 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyrilix
You miss my entire point. I never said anything about the company managing to survive on limited edition products. I just don't like the idea of limited edition products that sell out quickly and don't manage to reach a larger group of people. I may be pretty vocal about that, but to respond to your previous statement, you said that the A900 LTD fetches such high prices beyond MSRP. Well, obviously. It's sold out in most places (due to limited edition)!

I really too... I am seeking HF-1's but can't find anywhere in good price. Companies should restrict these limited editions for those who don't sell it in profit later.
icon10.gif

I personally made my mind that if I'll sell my A900LTD then it'll be preferred by a person not by price. And it should be a lowest price ever it sold here. Maybe $250 or near about.

Apr 29, 2006 at 7:07 AM Post #81 of 89
OK, with regards to some of the talk about the technically superior headphones being used for gaming...I have used my K340's for gaming, and they perform admirably. They have a massive soundstage and it is very easy to localize sound. However, with things like explosions, the K340's give a sort of "Well, that's a nice explosion, listen to all that detail!" whereas the DT770's are more like "EEEXXXPPPLLLOOOSSSIIIOOONNN!!!!!"

Basically, though the DT770's are an inferior headphone in almost all aspects technically, they have that mix that gives it a great "Fun Factor" which IMO is far more important than technical superiority, at least for gaming (and casual listening).

Aditya

Apr 29, 2006 at 6:13 PM Post #83 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vedder323
Very last question, would jumping up to the Audio-Technica ATH-W1000 be a wise move instead of the Beyers or ATH900s?

I wouldn't think so, but I haven't heard them. That's going to double your price, and it's an entry level woodie, and what I've heard is that either you love them or hate them, but that would probably apply to any ATH can... I may be wrong though...

Apr 29, 2006 at 6:42 PM Post #84 of 89
Quote:

Very last question, would jumping up to the Audio-Technica ATH-W1000 be a wise move instead of the Beyers or ATH900s?

It's safe to buy used pair of A500. and try AT's sound signature. If you find their mids back seated and dull then find out A900LTD or buy W1000.

You wont find options for closed cans in other manufacturers lineup.

Apr 29, 2006 at 6:55 PM Post #85 of 89
Quote:

No. Totally different soundstage / presentation. Audio Technica W series are a very different sound than their A*** series. Almost an entirely different sound signature.

The W series headphones have a smaller soundstage than the DT770 by quite a bit. As well, the midrange is pushed forward a good deal... and gaming really needs the lows and highs to be the main thing. You've got to remember, most games are mixed for 5.1 stereo setups that ordinary people have in their homes... and the midrange is almost never there in the way that the bass and treble are. Jeez, just look at Bose. There are huge gaps in the midrange.

The DT770 and A900 are really the "right mix" for gaming.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anarchy965
*****in horde! Lol j/k, but seriously though, some horde just seem to have no manners though. There's nothing wrong with ganking espescially on a PvP server but when someone res-ganks you over and over it's just gay. I don't play too often but I've played a horde(up to about lvl. 19) character a few times and It's not as difficult as alliance(played up to lvl. 26 so far).

Oh man, just try to get a Horde character through Tarren Mill on a PVP server. The Alliance absolutely disgusts me there. An "evil" character seems to be reason enough to kill anyone on sight... something I never do with my higher level characters. The general problem with playing alliance is this: "Too many Heroes in the Kitchen." In the Horde, people usually listen and work together way better.

Apr 29, 2006 at 8:24 PM Post #88 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio
No. Totally different soundstage / presentation. Audio Technica W series are a very different sound than their A*** series. Almost an entirely different sound signature.

The W series headphones have a smaller soundstage than the DT770 by quite a bit. As well, the midrange is pushed forward a good deal... and gaming really needs the lows and highs to be the main thing. You've got to remember, most games are mixed for 5.1 stereo setups that ordinary people have in their homes... and the midrange is almost never there in the way that the bass and treble are. Jeez, just look at Bose. There are huge gaps in the midrange.

The DT770 and A900 are really the "right mix" for gaming.

I don't think Vedder323 is asking for gaming cans.

Also my gainward soundXplosion had better sound stage then A500 which was a worse buy for me in headphones. It doesn't justify overall quality. Maybe you and someone else like DT770's over W series without buying them. And some folks prefer ksc75 over orph...vice versa. I say it's pure peronal and defence of their investment.

Search the forum and people who bought A900 with DT770 still prefer A900's over DT770's for all purpose use. While people prefer 595 over A900 for music only. Also I think it's better to compare DT770 with A900 only. coz W series are grandfather
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back