Best of the best gaming cans?
Apr 26, 2006 at 9:25 PM Post #16 of 89
The mids on the A900 are very recessed. I could not stand them. The LTD improves on them, and when I did the blue-tak mod, it really brought them up to speed. They sound similar to my HD650, except they sound more "enclosed" at higher volumes, and they are brighter than the 650s, but mabey this is just because I'm temporarily driving the 650s with a PA2V2 while waiting on my headfive.

Apr 26, 2006 at 9:25 PM Post #17 of 89
Ohhh. I noticed WoW mentioned in the first post up there....

Walk into the Undercity for the first time with the DT770-80.

It is, beyond a doubt, one of the most "eargasmic" moments I've ever had. Make sure you stand in the throne room for a bit too.

Apr 26, 2006 at 9:27 PM Post #18 of 89
Will I need an amp for the Beyers? Source: SB Xfi

For the horde
wink.gif

orphsmile.gif

Apr 26, 2006 at 9:30 PM Post #19 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vedder323
Will I need an amp for the Beyers? Source: SB Xfi

For the horde
wink.gif

orphsmile.gif

Nah, that's a fine source for now. A nice little amp will give the Beyers more punch, if you've got one. If not, that'll be something great to get later on!

For the Horde indeed! I've done an Alliance character or two... but nothing's as much fun as being an Undead or Orc to me. And yeah, I'm not proud of it... but I have used the DT770 for up to 10 hour stretches on the occasional Sunday in WoW. Best thing is, I can always flip on other music without even taking them off of my head and still enjoy them. I've heard a lot of headphones in the past year, but nothing beats the DT770-80 for me under $200. And, you can get them for $150 if you can find a nice Guitar Center employee!

Apr 26, 2006 at 9:33 PM Post #20 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio
Hahah, yeah, I really don't mean to offend team A900. I know there are a lot of you guys! Seems like it COULD be a personal preference thing. Is there a Guitar Center near you? They've got the DT770-80 there to try out, most likely. Bring a PSP or a Gameboy with you, and an iPod. Better yet, do you know someone with a laptop and a few FPS games?

You're making me miss my DT770s! They're on several week loan with Asr, and who knows if he'll ever wanna send em back once he's gotten accustomed to them!
very_evil_smiley.gif

I will probably add the 770s to complete my Beyer collection soon. They are cheap and pretty good cans from what I have read here. The 80 Ohm version is the one to get right?

Apr 26, 2006 at 9:38 PM Post #21 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by darkninja67
I will probably add the 770s to complete my Beyer collection soon. They are cheap and pretty good cans from what I have read here. The 80 Ohm version is the one to get right?

Yeah, the 80 ohm one is the one. I heard the new 770-32 at the meet, but I didn't notice any immediate differences since I didn't have my 770-80 with me to compare. It's probably good too, but I can't imagine it'd be worth $100 more than I paid for my 770-80. They can be had for $150 new, if you're lucky.

Funny thing though, since we're on the topic of gaming...

I just started Dragon Quest on the PS2 last weekend, and only the RS1 satisfies me with it! Why you ask? FULL ORCHESTRAL SCORE FOR THE ENTIRE GAME! I'm praying that all RPGs start doing this... no more synthesizer crap!

Apr 26, 2006 at 9:59 PM Post #22 of 89
I play my WoW with my own music collection (over 100k of various quality and genred music) on random, along with the ingame SFX at a decent level and then Ventrilo a little louder than both.

I'd go with the beyers as well. I've played WoW with the 770/80s, A900/500s, and the HD555's.... Beyers all the way, with the A900's in close pursuit.

(WoW admission: I love the sound of aggressive classical to the ominous sounds of a stunlock. Ambush SFX during O Fortuna... excellent)

Apr 26, 2006 at 10:06 PM Post #23 of 89
What is it exactly that makes you like the beyers over the A900, because I have to say, the A900LTD is a substantial improvement over the A900, even more so with the blue-tak mod.

Apr 26, 2006 at 10:21 PM Post #24 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003
What is it exactly that makes you like the beyers over the A900, because I have to say, the A900LTD is a substantial improvement over the A900, even more so with the blue-tak mod.

I can't comment on the LTD for I have not heard those. I will say that upon receiving my 770s I was disappointed at the lack of this EXTREME bass that many people here speak of. As per compared to the 900's me and my roommate sided more with the 900's.....

Comfort I would side the 900's as well...

The ONLY reason I side the beyeres is because the SFX over music, and especially the seperation for my vent over music the 900's severe (severe might be overstating... but its bad) mids issues cloud alot of the capacity to allow them to all be present clearly. This issue is apparently quite improved in the LTDs, but then cost differential from the 770's over 900ltds presents a problem... so, my vote goes Beyer.

Apr 26, 2006 at 10:36 PM Post #25 of 89
The A900's mids are, by no stretch of the imagination, "bad".

I've heard a lot of phones with "bad" mids before and the A900s are nowhere near that ballpark.

"Recessed compared to Grados" or many other phones? Yes. And someone might not even like how they're represented.

However, to portray them as objectively "bad" is very misleading. Let's keep things in perspective- these are truly among the better phones available under $200-300 dollars and their recessed midrange is part of their presentation and preferred by many, including me, over the squint-inducing forwardness of some others.

Apr 26, 2006 at 11:29 PM Post #26 of 89
How long do you play WoW for. I loved my Beyers, don't get me wrong, but I found them to be uncomfortable after a while. I play WoW for almost 6 hours a day. So to me, the comfort was most important. That's not to say they weren't, but after awhile, I felt I had to air myself a bit; probably advisable regardless of the headphone type though. I have an AD900 now, and I think the A900 might be similar, weight/comfort wise. And just like the above poster said, the A900 might be better comfort wise.

You might want to look into an open can if you just game WoW. Reason I got the AD series, is that I found I didn't like that in your head feeling, not sure if it's just the beyers, or maybe closed cans in general. That's why I didn't try the A900, went straight to the AD900. The AD900 has a beautiful airy wide soundstage, that I find suits WoW real well. Open cans are in general better for most kinds of music listening, IMO.

On the flip side open cans are not suited to other types of gaming, like FPS. I played Quake IV with the Beyers, and the positioning was second to none on them. And the 770's make love to explosions like no tomorrow. The AD series, probably has to be EQ'ed a bit to get that bass punch, which I'm not a fan off. And the explosions lacked that special punch to make it satisfying.

I know it's probably not what you want to hear, but you'll have to try them out yourself and see which one you prefer.. that's what the FS forums are for
icon10.gif
.. buy, try buy try, sell... expensive hobby this.

I think you can't go wrong with either one, but I think the Beyer's have the greatest upgrade path potentional. You can get an amp later on if you don't get one right off. Also they can be modded to Darth Beyers, with a recable or have them woodied with screened covers. Supposed to take care of the recessed mids, take away the top end brightness, and a screened woodie might give a nice airy soundstage. Might try one of them out if they ever show up on the FS thread again.

Apr 27, 2006 at 12:03 AM Post #28 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by memoriesaflame
(sorry to go offtopic but)

brn80, how do you know you live in "sunny" FL with all that video game playing
very_evil_smiley.gif
tongue.gif

heh
tongue.gif
, I see it when I have to go to work/school. I know I know ! It gets in the way of my gaming ! Darnit

Apr 27, 2006 at 1:39 AM Post #29 of 89
got called a cheater many many times over a couple months in cs when i got my sennheiser hd590.......very light, great imaging soundstage, comfortable

Apr 27, 2006 at 1:44 AM Post #30 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by BrianS
got called a cheater many many times over a couple months in cs when i got my sennheiser hd590.......very light, great imaging soundstage, comfortable

That's another set of cans I wanted to try out. I've heard a lot of good things about them esp. comfort wise. And they're supposed to be heavier on the bass compared to the other high ends senn's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back