Best "non" studio monitoring headphones
Mar 29, 2013 at 10:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Knucklez09

New Head-Fier
I'm looking to spend $100-150.. 200 at the MOST for some good headphones that aren't necessarily monitors. I want some good overhead headphones for listening to mostly bass heavy music. I know the audio technica and some other monitors would be ideal, but I want my music to sound "good" and not detailed for mixing. These are going to be used out in public alot so the long cable is another reason why I don't want monitors. Pretty much something that looks nice, sounds good with good bass and doesn't bleed too much. Ive been looking at the logictech ue6000 and 4000, Sony mdr Xb500, sol republic tracks and a few sennhiesers. I have the senn 419 and they look nice but have NO bass whatsoever, but then again they were only $30. One last thing is that I'm trying to stay away from beats and all monster headphones, due to the price/performance ratio being horrible, although they do look nice.
Thank you

Mar 29, 2013 at 10:21 AM Post #2 of 9
Guess I should post links 
http://www.amazon.com/SOL-REPUBLIC-Tracks-Headphones-Black/dp/B005OLOIUI/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1364566843&sr=1-3
http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-982-000079-UE-6000-Headphones/dp/B0094S36RI/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=3BRKCOEZ4M7EM&coliid=IENPQYD2DC48A
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR-XB300-Extra-Bass-Headphones/dp/B001RB24R8/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=3BRKCOEZ4M7EM&coliid=I2F0YTVT451IF
http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-982-000072-UE-4000-Headphones/dp/B0094S360U/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1364566900&sr=1-1&keywords=ue4000

Mar 29, 2013 at 1:25 PM Post #4 of 9
Quote:
I'm looking to spend $100-150.. 200 at the MOST for some good headphones that aren't necessarily monitors. I want some good overhead headphones for listening to mostly bass heavy music. I know the audio technica and some other monitors would be ideal, but I want my music to sound "good" and not detailed for mixing. These are going to be used out in public alot so the long cable is another reason why I don't want monitors. Pretty much something that looks nice, sounds good with good bass and doesn't bleed too much. Ive been looking at the logictech ue6000 and 4000, Sony mdr Xb500, sol republic tracks and a few sennhiesers. I have the senn 419 and they look nice but have NO bass whatsoever, but then again they were only $30. One last thing is that I'm trying to stay away from beats and all monster headphones, due to the price/performance ratio being horrible, although they do look nice.
Thank you

The 419's have no bass whatsoever? A gross exaggeration- or you're looking for beats-level bass. The UE's and Senn's probably won't have the bass you're looking for.

Look at the SRH750DJ and HFI-580 if you want good bass punch but you might have to resort to V-Moda LP's or something. The K618DJ might be a more portable option.

Mar 29, 2013 at 7:42 PM Post #6 of 9
maybe my 419's are defective, but my skull candy in earbuds and JVC XX earbuds have more bass. I dont need ear shattering bass, just headphones with pretty good bass, specifically good sub frequency. my 419's have very clear highs and decent mids, but I can really hear or fell the bass. It is there though, just bass heavy songs dont really benefit from them. I'll  defenitely check out those headphones too thanks.

Mar 31, 2013 at 1:13 AM Post #8 of 9
I'm not sure you'll ever really "feel" the bass with headphones (it will never be like having a big subwoofer), but there are certainly some bassy headphones out there. I don't have experience with the UEs that you mentioned, so I can't really comment there.

A few models that come to mind off-hand though would include the Koss Ruk50, Audio-Technica ATH-M50 (the coiled cable version shouldn't be too obnoxious portable - I'm not a huge fan of these, but I think they might actually suit what you want pretty well), and Bose AE2 (their cable is a bit long, but it folds up nicely - they have a reasonable amount of bass, but it's more extended than it is impactful). The Koss will likely be the bassiest of the pack (I have not directly A/B'd to the M50, but they're bassier than the AE2), and assuming the styling doesn't put you off, they sound like they'll fit what you want pretty well.

Mar 31, 2013 at 2:11 AM Post #9 of 9
Maybe the portable Audio-Technica ATH-WS77 or the Audio-Technica ATH-SW99? They have quite deep detailed and sturdy bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back