Best (non IEM) headphones for jogging
May 29, 2011 at 11:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

f00fighters

500+ Head-Fier
I am looking for a decent pair of headphones (non IEM) for jogging/speed walking. They need to be able to handle sweat. I hate IEMs, as they are uncomfortable and a hassle to put in my ears. I recently purchased the Koss Portapro, but they were a bit too muddy in the bass area, and the soundstage was extremely narrow from my iPhone without additional amplification. 

My preference is a bright (not overly too bright) headphone, with a good bass response that doesn't overlay the sparkly treble, with a wide soundstage. Open-back or closed it not a concern. I just want the best sound for my need/budget. My iPhone 4 will be my primary source, playing Apple Lossless, Rock/Alternative/80's pop/ occasionally R&B. 

I haven't decided if I'm going to use a portable amp in the jogging/speed walking scenario. I'm eying the highly rated, by head-fi community, PA2V2 or the Total Bithead amps. I may only use the amp in the home setting. But we'll see. 

Just to give you an idea of my taste, I used to own the Grado 325is, and I was a fan of their signature; however, it got to a point where they became somewhat fatiguing over time, because they were overly bright. 

I currently have my eye on the KSC35/KSC75. Please give me your thoughts or suggestions!

May 29, 2011 at 12:25 PM Post #2 of 12
Allesandro MS1 possibly if you like the Grado sound but want a bit more tones down highs and a bit more bass?

May 29, 2011 at 12:32 PM Post #4 of 12
Dweaver,

Thanks, I considered the MS1's; however, having owned a pair of grado 325is's, they were not comfortable to me, for long periods of time. Also, I don't think I would want to jog with Grados/Alessandros. They are too big, and fragile for that sort of activity, I imagine. Also, I don't know how they'd handle sweat. Although I haven't dismissed them completely for an at home setup, I'm looking for a phone that can handle jogging/sweating.

May 29, 2011 at 12:41 PM Post #5 of 12
Kalikot,

I am really considering the KSC's, I just don't know which one to get. I like their pricing, and I feel like I could take them jogging, and if they break, that koss lifetime warranty will factor in. But sound is also the main factor. I'm worried the KSC35's will be a tad to muddy in the bass department, and the KSC75 by lack too much. I'd like a full sound with a bit of sparkle, being unamped from my iPhone. I am considering a portable amp, but that's another thing I haven't figured out yet. 

The HD25 is out of my budget for a jogging headphone, and I dont think they're designed to handle jogging/sweating, either. I'd feel terrible if they got damaged from jogging, after spending all that money on them. 

May 29, 2011 at 12:52 PM Post #6 of 12

HD25s are very very durable and rugged which is why they are a good choice for jogging. 

Still though a clip on is your best bet when it comes to that :) Well there are also the JVC clip ons and EW9 if you can afford them, they should be able to fulfill the sound you might be missing with the KSC's.

Most people are impressed with the KSC75 though and have dubbed them mini Grados or something extravagant. I'll probably be having my own pair soon as well

Quote:
Kalikot,

I am really considering the KSC's, I just don't know which one to get. I like their pricing, and I feel like I could take them jogging, and if they break, that koss lifetime warranty will factor in. But sound is also the main factor. I'm worried the KSC35's will be a tad to muddy in the bass department, and the KSC75 by lack too much. I'd like a full sound with a bit of sparkle, being unamped from my iPhone. I am considering a portable amp, but that's another thing I haven't figured out yet. 

The HD25 is out of my budget for a jogging headphone, and I dont think they're designed to handle jogging/sweating, either. I'd feel terrible if they got damaged from jogging, after spending all that money on them. 

May 29, 2011 at 1:13 PM Post #7 of 12
I just got the KSC75's yesterday and they are kind of awkward to wear until you bend the clips to fit your ears but I guess they seem to stay on pretty well.

They are definitely very bass light right now. Not very punchy. I'm going to try the Kramer and quarter mods in a few weeks as that is supposed to help a lot.

Still, they are pretty nice for $15.

May 29, 2011 at 1:23 PM Post #8 of 12
I currently have the KSC75 and am actually looking for something else. I find them a bit uncomfortable; my ears hurt after a while. Not to mention they stick too much and the big ear pads ultimately get dampened with sweat when running in hot weather.

May 29, 2011 at 2:12 PM Post #9 of 12
Hmmm, maybe the ksc35 will be my best bet. It would probably be in my best interest to buy both and evaluate for myself. :frowning2: any other suggestions?

May 29, 2011 at 2:22 PM Post #10 of 12
sennheiser pmx 680 work very well for me
they are water and sweat resistant, light and comfortable
SQ is ok, it's not impressive, but i don't care about critical listening while i'm jogging

May 30, 2011 at 5:52 PM Post #11 of 12
I still haven't settled yet on a portable headphone. I just got the audio technical M50 for my home setup, and I am completely satisfied. Is there any kind of jogging headphone that sounds similar? The M50 sounds amazing without an amp from my iPhone 4, which is making me think there could a sporty variant.

May 30, 2011 at 10:29 PM Post #12 of 12

Quote:
Allesandro MS1 possibly if you like the Grado sound but want a bit more tones down highs and a bit more bass?

LOL!!! full GRADO FOR JOGGING WIN!!!!  hands down...

Quote:
I currently have the KSC75 and am actually looking for something else. I find them a bit uncomfortable; my ears hurt after a while. Not to mention they stick too much and the big ear pads ultimately get dampened with sweat when running in hot weather.

This is true, I think earbuds should have todo. Given the fact that they also dont isolate well thus you're able to asses the jogging environment better. PMX 680. Or any other senns' from their addidas line. Although some are better than others. Also consider Creative's Aurvana Air, currently on sale on their website.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back