Best noise-isolating, comfortable, walking/running sweat-resistant/proof headphones under $100? (Preferably $50) (No IEM's please) (Full-Size)
May 6, 2020 at 7:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Tmansdc1

New Head-Fier
I am looking for a pair of headphones were the three most important things to me are noise isolation, comfort, and sweatproof-ability.

I will be using a Samsung Note 8 with these for now (Soon to be a Samsung Galaxy S10+). I will be mainly listening to Youtube videos and Spotify. For Youtube I never turn the volume past 33% on my current headphones (Monoprice 8323) and with Spotify I leave my volume limiter at 60% or 9 out of 15 notches (The lowest it will let me limit volume.) Also on Spotify I use the "Quiet" volume normalization setting.

I have about 13db hearing loss in my left ear and 19db in my right ear (So it's still technically in the normal/good range according to audiologists). I have been really afraid of hearing loss/damage and sensitive to hearing changes ever since the last 4th of July my first cousin once removed threw over the course of the day about twenty bang snaps near my right ear (I had slightly better hearing in my right ear prior to that but ever since have had a hearing loss). I got my hearing tested in March and my hearing showed 13db on left ear and 15db on right ear but I had an earplug in my right ear prior to the hearing test and that probably skewed the results to show up better than they really were so I'm assuming a few extra db loss in my right ear.

I've been looking at a few options. I don't know how active noise cancelling headphones work and I don't know how that would affect the sound. I just want as much noise isolation as possible, sweat resistant, and comfortable. Not too concerned about the sound (Just as long as they are at least better than those cheap MDR-V150's that used to exist. I think we all remember those.) I want full size. I do not like IEM's because unless it's an earplug for when I'm mowing or something I can not stand things inside my ears plus with my hearing imbalance IEM's just do not balance right to me even with sound balance controls. I have no problem with full size or on ear headphones in that department though. Would there be any good hearing protector ones like the type you'd wear for shooting/working construction with decent sound and sweat proof resistance? The main reason I want to block out as much noise as possible is to keep my hearing as decent as it still is.

Thank you very much.

May 7, 2020 at 9:05 PM Post #4 of 9
Thank you for the reply I really appreciate it.

I'm ok with a bluetooth one if there isn't any other option however it needs to have 3.5mm because I want better compatibility.

So far the only one that seems to turn up is the HD280 Pro but I've heard mixed things about that one. Or the hd25 lite. Hmmm. Any other ones?

May 8, 2020 at 9:27 PM Post #6 of 9
I’ve used the HD280 Pro for studio monitoring since early 2000s. Great isolation but almost dangerous outdoors because you won’t hear things.
a good electronic outdoor hearing protector is
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1805652370
The Howard Leights provide isolation with microphones for awareness and a jack for audio input.

I just want as much sound isolation as possible because I walk on busy streets and stuff sometimes and I know even with the monoprice 8323s ok isolation it still lets in a lot of noise. Unfortunately it's the most isolating pair I have at the moment. I have just become paranoid about loud sounds lately.

May 12, 2020 at 3:58 AM Post #7 of 9
I've looked up some more and even though some of these have been discontinued are there any similiar models? Ones I've looked at and might consider are: Panasonic RP-HTX7 (or similiar current model), Equation Audio EP3070 (or similiar/current model), JVC HA-S700 (or similiar/current model), JVC HA-M750 (or similiar/current model), AKG K81DJ/581DJ (or similiar/current model), and Sony MDR-ZX700 (or similiar/current model).

Anything between those and/or current/similiar models appreciated. Also if there are bluetooth ones like those that are in budget but can also be plugged in via 3.5 that works too.

I have a galaxy note 8.

May 13, 2020 at 11:23 PM Post #8 of 9
Anything similiar then? I'm sorry I just really dislike iem's. The models I listed are based off of ljokerl's portable headphone list from this site. Those were all the affordable ones that were rated at least an 8 or higher on the isolation scale.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back