Best Noise Canceling headphones <$350
Sep 6, 2011 at 5:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

gamefreak054

100+ Head-Fier
Hi my friend is looking for a really good pair of noise canceling headphones. Before he was set on bose QC 15. He didnt do any research though. I told him there are probably better headphones with nearly as good as NC and cost less w/ better sound. He says he wants a pair that will block out all airplane sounds. What would you guys reccomend for him?

Thanks for any help.

Sep 6, 2011 at 6:10 PM Post #2 of 14
Noise canceling sounds like a screw is being hammered through my ears (I know you don't hammer a screw)

The frequency they throw out there kills me.

Go for a isolating headphone.

MDR-7509HD. Great for anything and great isolation. Miles above the Bose sound.

For total isolation, you should check out IEM's. Check the massive reviews for universals. Anything under $500 for a custom is said to be junk. But some Universals can block out A LOT OF NOISE.

Sep 6, 2011 at 6:13 PM Post #3 of 14
HD 25-I II

Sep 6, 2011 at 6:16 PM Post #4 of 14

Quote:
HD 25-I II

Isn't that the polar opposite of a Bose?

Comfy Bose - HD25
Horrid sound - Great sound

I'd still like to do a driver transplant into a bose body. MMm.... T50RP to Bose......

Sep 6, 2011 at 6:23 PM Post #5 of 14
Among noise cancelling headphones, nothing is better at cancelling noise than the bose. But they definitely aren't the best for music. The senn 450 are better at music. My wife has the bose and I have the senns.
Honestly for music I don't think either one is better then my senn px 100

If music is a top priority with then try an IEM. I can't stand them because I hate how the feel in my ears. But the block out airplane noise reasonably well.

If airplane noise is the top priority I would get the bose.

Sep 6, 2011 at 6:27 PM Post #6 of 14

Quote:
Among noise cancelling headphones, nothing is better at cancelling noise than the bose. But they definitely aren't the best for music. The senn 450 are better at music. My wife has the bose and I have the senns.
Honestly for music I don't think either one is better then my senn px 100

If music is a top priority with then try an IEM. I can't stand them because I hate how the feel in my ears. But the block out airplane noise reasonably well.

If airplane noise is the top priority I would get the bose.

You can do a lot to find IEM's comfortable.

I just checked at a Audiologist for Custom Tips to fit any IEM. $45 with impressions. Great deal for the best comfort.

Sep 6, 2011 at 6:55 PM Post #7 of 14
I think he wants headphones. He just wants something that blocks out noise so awesome isolation would probably do. He wants something that would block out the background noises of being on a plane. It doesnt nessecarily have to be noise cancelling.

Sep 7, 2011 at 11:49 AM Post #8 of 14

To be very honest, I own a pair of Bose QC15, and I think they're amazing. I will say that they don't sound as good as other cans at the price point, but if your friend is going to be flying often, the sacrifice made in sound quality for the best noise cancelling is definitely worth it. They are simply the best at tuning off airplane noises. I will also say that the main reason why they're hated so much is because of how expensive they are. They don't sound -bad-, they just should be doing better than they are for the price point.

However, you can actually go to Bose's website and pay with a payment plan, that doesn't require a credit check or anything. I think I'm paying like... 30 something a month? Which I spend more on video games then I do with that.

However, I've also tried the Sennheiser, and they sound better. It comes down to personal preference.

Sound Quality > Noise Cancelling? Sennheiser PXC450
Noise Cancelling > Sound Quality? Bose QC15.

Sep 7, 2011 at 11:55 AM Post #9 of 14
Buy Bose QC15 to block the airplane noise, then buy a very good pair of IEM for music.

Wear IEM first then QC15 on top of IEM to block the noise, it works great.

Sep 7, 2011 at 11:59 AM Post #10 of 14

Quote:
Buy Bose QC15 to block the airplane noise, then buy a very good pair of IEM for music.

You just blew my mind. That seems a bit excessive/more money, but you just blew my mind.

Sep 7, 2011 at 3:01 PM Post #11 of 14
Lol, well why wouldnt you just buy a pair of ear muffs then listen to the IEMs?. Well thanks for the help you guys are super helpful.

I took your guys advice in the other thread I posted and bought a pair of m50s which arrived today, I couldnt be happier. Ive never listened to headphones this good. They brought an instant smile to my face, and they are not even broken in at all.

Sep 7, 2011 at 3:29 PM Post #12 of 14

Quote:
Lol, well why wouldnt you just buy a pair of ear muffs then listen to the IEMs?

Ya I was thinking about that, but you know how noise cancelling headphone works right ?
Basically, it generates anti-noise signals to cancels out the ambient noise within the headphone.
So it does more than just blocking the noise :wink: it counters the noise.

Sep 7, 2011 at 5:22 PM Post #13 of 14
Yeah I understand how they work, I guess I just didnt think of it (well I did after you brought it up). I still gotta question how well it would work if your not directly listening to them though.

Sep 7, 2011 at 11:48 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Then buy pillow and stick head in that. Finally, cover entire self in dynamat and enjoy!
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back