Best New York Style Pizza in NYC?
Mar 19, 2010 at 3:41 PM Post #16 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Graphicism /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ray's Pizza... I think it's on 8th Ave.

ew. no.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drag0n /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Grimaldi's Pizza - Under the Brooklyn Bridge.
Frank Sinatra's favourite place.

Grimaldi's Pizzeria

Grimaldi's is good... as are Lombardi's, Totonno's and John's Pizza. those are really the gold standard of NY style pizza, as far as i'm concerned.

Mar 19, 2010 at 5:28 PM Post #18 of 53
I'll post it again, Maffei's on 22nd Street and 6th AVE. Swing by and grab a slice while on your way to Sound By Singer!

Delmar's in Sheepshead Bay.

Mar 19, 2010 at 7:57 PM Post #20 of 53
Quote:

Grimaldi's Pizza - Under the Brooklyn Bridge.
Frank Sinatra's favourite place.

Grimaldi's Pizzeria

This pizza is a different style than typical pizzaria pizza places.
The mozzerella cheese is sliced from fresh mozzerella rather than packaged grated cheese.
Sauce is chunky, not the thin sauce. Also its cooked in a brick oven.
Theres a line there even in the rain every day.
The neighborhood is upscale Brooklyn, and safe, with a view of the water and Jehovah's Witness Kingdom Hall...lol.
The little shops in the towne are nice also.

You havent been to NY unless youve tried Grimaldi's, and also a NY bagel, NY Pretzyl, NY HotDog, and walked through the city, and took the subway train and bus and hailed a taxi.
Haggling prices in China Towne/Canal Street is also fun.

Times Square is nice to see. Go down 5th ave to number 350 and see the Empire State Building.

I must disagree with a NY pretzels. Philly is the king of pretzels. But, I'll replace your pretzel and add NY corned beef as the best.
smily_headphones1.gif
I used to work in NY and spent a lot of time there and really love it. I think you can fall into almost any local pizza joint and have a pretty damn good slice or four.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 19, 2010 at 8:25 PM Post #23 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When drunk, the one on St. Marks is pretty good (if the one I'm thinking of is still there).

if you are talking about two bros (the cheap $1 pizza) then yes it is still there. it's not bad if you are cheap and only wanna pay a dollar however. it's a decent spot for that since they have pies go in and out quite often. i'm not sure about best pizza place in nyc however. sometimes they are thin and something they are kinda mushy when you bite into the crust but i like both so its not ba for me. if you are drunk or dont want to pay a lot then it would be a good choice.

that being said i go there quite a bit for a cheap lunch
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 20, 2010 at 5:58 AM Post #24 of 53
Quote:

So, did we decide on a Pizza Place yet?
smily_headphones1.gif

We want a review of what you thought of NY pizza, and which place it was
wink.gif

Lots of good suggestions on here, but there's still a couple of days left before I'll be in NYC. As of right now it looks like the leader is Grimaldi's but that could change with more opinions!
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlindTiger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Back to the OP, do you want NYC pizza of the artisan, trendy, foodie blogged approved nyc pizza?

I'm not really looking for the trendy style of pizza, there's plenty of that in Chicago already.. I'm looking for the big, thin, foldy pizza that NYC is known for!

Mar 20, 2010 at 6:02 PM Post #25 of 53
I'll join you for a nice slice at Patsy's in East Harlem.
First Avenue and 117th street.
I can't believe I've worked in that area for so long and haven't discovered that one of the best pizza places is in El Bario. don't worry it's a safe neighborhood.
the only place that sells coal oven pizza by the slice. that and it's pretty cheap when you consider midtown pizza places are charging $3 for a slice.
one thing I don't like about some places are the burnt crusts, I don't understand how that's a plus in the trendy pizza arena. (the place that starts with Di)
Another coal fired oven place I went to was Arturos's on Houston street. this place doesn't get the attention the other places like Lombardi's or John's on Bleecker but it is worth a visit.

Mar 21, 2010 at 12:13 AM Post #26 of 53
Some people call Grimaldi's ,"Patsy's".
The owner was Patsy Grimaldi.
Is this the same Patsy you guys are referring to?

Also, this isnt typical foldable NY pizza. Its more Italian style rather than American NY style really, but its something everyone should try once at least. It is foldable for sure, but just a little less greasy, and sliced fresh mozzerella instead of grated Polly-O or some other brand.

As far as Pretzyls, lets not get Kirosia's attention on this, but....i didnt say NY had the best ones, but its just a NY thing to grab one because people in NYC walk everywhere or take public transportation, and any of the local street finger-foods are a NY thing.
Its just the NY thing to do, to "eat and walk".

Jamaican Beef Pies, Popped Corn, Hot Peanuts, Beef on a Stick, Philly CheeseSteaks (i know its a Philly thing but we have them also), Sausage n Peppers subs, Gyros, Shish Kabobs, ....etc. Just "eat and walk".
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 21, 2010 at 3:20 AM Post #29 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by intoflatlines /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah I saw the pics on the Grimaldi's site and it looks less New York-y than I expected..

People that suggest Grimaldi's and the likes are likely real New Yorkers and sick of the original NY style pizza.

Mar 21, 2010 at 3:25 AM Post #30 of 53
Patsy's
Totonno's

Can't go wrong with either

Users who are viewing this thread

Back