best new electric razor
Feb 8, 2006 at 3:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

cpw

Headphoneus Supremus
Anyone bought one recently?
Whaddaya like? How much?
I have a Braun and a Norelco. Braun battery doesn't hold a charge anymore and the Norelco (bought at Costco) doesn't seem to work very well (sounds like it's jacked up and doesn't shave very close anymore).
CPW
PS Please don't suggest the blade. Not goin' there. Thx.

Feb 8, 2006 at 6:19 PM Post #5 of 15
I've been wondering the same thing. Here's a question though - I have a good Norelco electric shaver from maybe 1999. It was the top of the line then, though I see new models that are basically the same design but with new features - pivoting head, slightly differently designed heads. Are these improvements meaningful? Otherwise, I'm tempted just to buy new blades for my old one.

Best regards,

-Jason

Feb 8, 2006 at 6:21 PM Post #6 of 15
I have been useing the bottom line Reflex Norelco rechargable for years now. Works great. Tried the same thing in a Remington and diden't like it.

Feb 8, 2006 at 8:27 PM Post #7 of 15
Another happy Norelco user here. I completely swear by them. I usually just buy their midline model available at Walmart, the minimum is that it must have pivotable blades. Have gone through two so far in the past 10-15 years, they've both been awesome.

Feb 8, 2006 at 9:50 PM Post #8 of 15
I"ve tried the 'cool-looking' Braun's, only to be disappointed with it's performance. Never tried the Panasonic wet-shavers. Remington gives a good value for the money, but I always come back to the Norelco triple-head models, which work best for me too.

Other than shaving performance, I do have some complaints regarding my current Norelco. First, it's less than three years old and the battery isn't holding a charge for more than a couple of days (where I used to go at least week when new). Secondly, the unit doesn't work when plugged into a wall outlet if the battery is depleated! The plug is only good to charge the unit. No chargie, no workie
frown.gif
. What's up with that? My older Norelco's would work that way *shrug*.

Going mid-range is a good idea. The top-of-the-line are quite expensive, and have features that I don't particularly want. That built-in creme stuff kinda creeps me out, and has to be a cleaning nightmare. The other thing I have to complain about is the prohibitive cost of a new triple blade set. Not much less than a new mid-priced unit!

Feb 8, 2006 at 9:52 PM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by ken36
I've been using the 8894XL Spectra for the last few years. No complaints. Norelco really does rule.

Me too!

Feb 8, 2006 at 10:04 PM Post #10 of 15
Another vote for Norelco. Closer shave than Braun or Panasonic and easier on the skin to boot.

Feb 9, 2006 at 4:40 AM Post #11 of 15
Yeah, I've had 2-3 Norelcos and 3 Brauns and I'm currently back @ Norelco & not that happy. Today I bought some "Lectric Shave" to see if I can get the Norelco to go a bit closer but I also bought some fresh shaving gel and a Mach 3 to give that a go. I never seem to stay with the non-electric very long cuz it just seems to take me longer but I gotta try something right now.
Thx for the answers. According to Norelcos website, theres a new model but no one seems to have it yet and it's probably another $200 for about what I got know.
CPW

Feb 9, 2006 at 6:38 AM Post #12 of 15
Straight edge for me. I used to use remmington, but the razer burn got to me. Plus I love the look I get in the morning from some of my dorm-mates.
biggrin.gif

Feb 9, 2006 at 7:13 AM Post #14 of 15
After poking around for quite a while and reading numerous consumer reviews I went with the high end Braun dry electric shaver and feel it blows away the norelco on the cheek, but the neck can be a bit rough and is a bit harder to use. The shave is fast, efficient and a must for someone who can shave twice daily.

Feb 9, 2006 at 3:04 PM Post #15 of 15
Oh well. Even though I said I "wasn't goin' there", I bought the blades which I'll probably use for 2 wks then give up again. Shaving just sucks I guess.
The Mach 3 worked pretty good this AM but the cream gets everywhere as always. Well see how my skin holds up.
CPW

Users who are viewing this thread

Back