Best Musical Headphones?
Apr 23, 2004 at 3:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 43

veritas

100+ Head-Fier
So I currently own a pair of HD580s and I'm sorry to say that I don't feel myself toe-tapping. So now I'm wondering what the most musical headphones out there are. The biggest candidate is currently the RS-1, from what I've read on these boards. I owned the SR-80s briefly and really enjoyed the sound signature, so maybe the RS-1 might be the ticket, but I was wondering if other people had different opinions on the most euphonic headphones. I am completely non-analytical, I don't care whether I can hear the artefacts in music, just as long as it SOUNDS GOOD. Thanks in advance!

Apr 23, 2004 at 3:26 AM Post #2 of 43
I can hear Alessandro MS Pros ringin'
rs1smile.gif

BTW we need an Alessandro smiley here.
Just to distinguish between the Alessandros and Grados
biggrin.gif

Apr 23, 2004 at 3:39 AM Post #3 of 43
Grado RS-1
Grado SR-225
Audio Technica A900
Sony MDR-CD3000
Shure E5c

In no particular order... I don't like the Grados because of the soundstage (lack thereof). Otherwise they're very toe-tapping headphones...

Apr 23, 2004 at 3:46 AM Post #5 of 43
Thanks for the input guys! I think the situation that best describes my problem is that I don't like being cut off from the music. I don't want to look at the music through a window as an observer, I want to be in the middle of it, like a big pile of packing peanuts. Perhaps that was a little strange as an analogy, but I hope you guys get the gist of what I'm trying to say.

Apr 23, 2004 at 3:52 AM Post #6 of 43
So you want some in your face cans w/ closed in soundstage. Well, I'd say get a pair of AT A500 and see how you like it. I suppose closed cans should do better than the open cans you have right now. Or you if still prefer open cans, try Grado's SR-60. Doesn't Grados have a closer soundstage?

Apr 23, 2004 at 4:04 AM Post #7 of 43
Grados has a completely flat soundstage... my personal peeve is that I think a headphone can be fun, musical, and emotionally involving without robbing me of that sense of 3d space.

However, some people are addicted to that Grado sound just because they feel the opposite.. nothing wrong with that.

The Grados put you face-smack right in middle of the music. Everything starts with your head and then out... unlike other headphones that does the opposite, where you feel the sound coming from far away inward (simulating speakers in a concert hall.. etc..).

Apr 23, 2004 at 4:29 AM Post #8 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by veritas
I am completely non-analytical, I don't care whether I can hear the artefacts in music, just as long as it SOUNDS GOOD.

From everything I read you won't like the CD3K. Owners of that headphone told me it is VERY DETAILED.

Apr 23, 2004 at 4:42 AM Post #9 of 43
don't let the size of the e5's fool you...

i use them with my ipod every day and have never even heard them with higher level amps or sources...they still blow me away.

the e5's are very musical indeed - just don't forget to pick up some tri-flange tips if you decide to go that route.

Apr 23, 2004 at 4:51 AM Post #10 of 43
I think it depends on what you listen to. The 580/590/600 carry a lot of emotion if you listen to classical and are pretty damn good for jazz as well. If you listen to rock, then Grados...

Apr 23, 2004 at 4:53 AM Post #11 of 43
Oh yes, how silly of me. I mainly listen to rock, anywhere from led zeppelin to jimmy eat world to emo stuff or even borderline metal. I also enjoy classical, although not as much, hip hop, rap and country. Most of it is rock though
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 23, 2004 at 5:49 AM Post #12 of 43
"I am completely non-analytical, I don't care whether I can hear the artifacts in music, just as long as it SOUNDS GOOD."

Ya, sure, you can say that now... but hang out at head-fi for a little while, and we'll see what happens to you!
orphsmile.gif

As you've mentioned, RS-1 should be considered. They will make your toes tap, no doubt. Also, CD3000 and HD650. I'd stay away from the Beyer and AT lines in this price range if you are looking for "euphoria"; nice cans, but not what you're looking for IMO.

Oh, and what do you mean by "SOUNDS GOOD"? We all think differently about that concept. Your comments seem to suggest that you are looking for a pair of headphones that are a bit more exciting and involving, maybe stepped up a bit in the upper frequencies, and this is where the RS-1 shines (well, to some ears - but there are no consensus opinions around here).

The CD3000's have detailed, extended highs and deep, resounding bass (although somewhat muddy at times) and this makes them excellent candidates for rockability.

In this general price range, the HD650's would be my choice for their overall tonal balance and ability to engage the listener without necessarily "exciting" your senses with a skewed presentation (i.e., to my ears, they present most music more honestly than does either the RS-1's or CD3000's). YMMV.

Apr 23, 2004 at 6:59 AM Post #13 of 43
Quote:

I don't care whether I can hear the artefacts in music, just as long as it SOUNDS GOOD.

You say that now. But wait a year...

Have you auditioned the K1000?

So, what music are you into? If you say "everything," then what is your favourite instrument?

Apr 23, 2004 at 12:40 PM Post #14 of 43
Quote:

Thanks for the input guys! I think the situation that best describes my problem is that I don't like being cut off from the music. I don't want to look at the music through a window as an observer, I want to be in the middle of it, like a big pile of packing peanuts. Perhaps that was a little strange as an analogy, but I hope you guys get the gist of what I'm trying to say.

you just described the sound of Grados and Alessandros.
that is what you really need

Apr 23, 2004 at 4:59 PM Post #15 of 43
Stax probably, if you want to avoid the "piped-in" sound. \

Grado for "you are there" immediacy.

Senn 650 for the "big picture."

The answer will depend on the music you choose and the way you prefer to experience that music.

BW

Users who are viewing this thread

Back