Best Music Streaming Service for LG V20 and Sennheiser Momentum
Sep 8, 2017 at 7:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

SalkinZ

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I've been playing music off of my desktop via CDs up until now and while I did use some streaming services around 8-10 years ago when they were free (deezer, last.fm and pandora), I haven't used any recently. Back then I also didn't know/care about quality.

I'm getting my first 'decent' smartphone in a few days: an LG V20 I chose for it's reviews in terms of audio and I found a good deal on. The portable headset I plan on using with it is a pair of first-generation on-ear Sennheiser Momentums (18 ohm) that I have been using for a few years.

I have two questions regarding hardware and software (apps) for the LG V20 paired with my headphones.

Hardware: Will I hear any difference using the LG V20s DAC with my low (18 ohm) impedance headphones?

Streaming apps: Is there any point of subscribing to a 'Hi-fi' streaming service given my mobile setup or will I not notice a difference above 320kbps? If so, which would you recommend? I've read some reviews on Tidal, Deezer (limited to certain systems?) and Qobuz. I remember liking the suggestions option that Pandora had, but sadly I don't live in the US anymore so I can't subscribe to Pandora.

Thanks in advance for your feedback, information and advice.

Sep 8, 2017 at 7:48 AM Post #2 of 15
Hi, been a Qobuz subscriber I don't think its needed for listening to on the go. Great though for listening via a decent home set up. The one advantage whist listening via phone is that you can save your music for listening off line while on the go without eating into your data plan. I too have the Senn and its a good hp but imo it needs a little oomph played through my phone. Qobuz costs for hi res €20 per month. Apple Music €10?

Sep 8, 2017 at 8:03 AM Post #3 of 15
Thanks for the quick response, voxie.

Qobuz has a €10 version as well. How does saving the files for offline use work and what is the difference between saving the files and downloading/buying them? Does Qobuz have an algorithm for suggesting music? I found this feature to be amazing when I used Pandora as it expanded my library tenfold without any effort on my part.

I'm allergic to apple products and tend to keep a comfortable distance from them... is apple music even available for android devices?

Google Play is another popular option.

Sep 8, 2017 at 8:10 AM Post #4 of 15
Pandora is horrid in terms of quality honestly. I could even hear the difference between Pandora and lossless on a damn pair of bone conduction headphones :p Spotify and Tidal sound pretty good to me but I haven't listened to them very much to say anything else

Sep 8, 2017 at 8:25 AM Post #5 of 15
Pandora is horrid in terms of quality honestly. I could even hear the difference between Pandora and lossless on a damn pair of bone conduction headphones :p Spotify and Tidal sound pretty good to me but I haven't listened to them very much to say anything else

I'm not planning on using their services (especially since I'm outside of the USA), I just remember that their algorithm for suggesting music was excellent (for the times: 2009-2011). I'm looking for a service that provides high quality music and a way of searching, suggesting, organizing and compiling the 30 million+ songs they all seem to be offering. I'm not as much interested in curated playlists or sharing with my friends as I am in an AI that caters suggestions to the genres and styles that I 'teach it' to prefer simply by making choices and ratings. I'm looking for a service that gets to 'know' me and is thus able to efficiently and accurately suggest new music to me. I dislike 90% of what is played on the radio and on TV, but I don't have the time to spend hours scouring the interwebs for music I don't even know to look for.

Sep 8, 2017 at 8:43 AM Post #6 of 15
Thanks for the quick response, voxie.

Qobuz has a €10 version as well. How does saving the files for offline use work and what is the difference between saving the files and downloading/buying them? Does Qobuz have an algorithm for suggesting music? I found this feature to be amazing when I used Pandora as it expanded my library tenfold without any effort on my part.

I'm allergic to apple products and tend to keep a comfortable distance from them... is apple music even available for android devices?

Google Play is another popular option.
No Probs.. By saving files with Qobuz you add them to "favourites". By downloading one can listen to them off line once you are subscribed. To be honest I haven't purchased SalkinZ so cant give a definitive answer. Am sure the F&Q on the webpage would have the answer. No it doesn't have a algorithm for suggesting music which is a pity.

Apple Music is available for android devices and I find it great for music suggestions and adding my CD's to the library section. Very convenient. Google Play is another good option but the SQ is week imo.

Tidal is worth looking into re Hi Res listening. But then again Qubuz is the one that I prefer for its SQ.

Sep 8, 2017 at 11:10 AM Post #7 of 15
Alright, I did some testing using my desktop rig with a selection of flac files and 320 kbps mp3s I converted from them using dbpoweramp using fubar's ABX option... The soundcard is Realtek, part of the motherboard. I don't think there should be a big distinction between it and what the LG V20 will put out to my HP. I could distinguish a few songs better than others, but not enough to validate spending and extra 10 euros a month on a subscription to a hifi streaming service given my current setup. Not to mention the higher file sizes and thus necessarily more expensive roaming contract. I think I will opt for the student version of spotify since that comes with weekly suggestions (similar to pandora I guess) at 5 euros a month. For music I really like I will either purchase the CDs or the flac files. Once I upgrade my headphones a few years from now, I will reevaluate the situation. Thanks in any case for your feedback.

Sep 8, 2017 at 2:13 PM Post #8 of 15
Quboz is the best at the moment as the app now does proper gapless where as Tidal still glitches slightly. Tidals web player does gapless but the app does not. sound quality on qobuz is also excellent.

Sep 9, 2017 at 1:52 AM Post #9 of 15
Quboz is the best at the moment as the app now does proper gapless where as Tidal still glitches slightly. Tidals web player does gapless but the app does not. sound quality on qobuz is also excellent.

Is there a difference in sound quality between Spotify Premium at 320kbps for €10 and Quboz premium at 320 kbps (lowest option) for €10?

Sep 9, 2017 at 3:35 AM Post #10 of 15
I know that Spotify sounds shocking through headphones for me.

Sep 9, 2017 at 4:01 AM Post #12 of 15
Compared to tidal/qobuz. Take the free trial and compare yourself

Sep 9, 2017 at 4:24 AM Post #14 of 15
You should here a big difference

Jan 3, 2018 at 7:30 PM Post #15 of 15
I was listening to Wish You Were Here on Google Play and Tidal HiFi though Schitt and (briefly) Google Play sounded better to me .... I didn't get levels even though. I am thinking the Google Play source is a better master of the album. Any thoughts?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back