Best music over-ear headphones under $200
Mar 29, 2011 at 2:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Switchwa

New Head-Fier
hey everyone, im very VERY new to this site... and this subject...

basically over the weekend i was in a local electronics store here in Australia and they had the Beats by Dre - Studios on display, so i gave them a try and was very impressed. though not with the price tag...

so i got home and used the google box and stumbled across this site (and many, MANY others) who all say the same thing, that the Beats By Dre are nowhere near the quality for the price as compared to competitors etc. etc.

So my question is this, for under $200, what in your opinion for the best headphones for the following use:

Mainly at work, sitting at the desk (able to knock out a LITTLE office sound, phones, people bitching etc)
Supply decent, but not overpowering bass
super SUPER comfortable (sensitive ears) and I’ll be wearing them for 8hours+
Music genre will mostly be Rock... A little hip hop... And a little electronic...

Due to discovering this website I have a great interest in getting into Audiophilia (is that a word? sounds sick lol)... So I’d like these headphones to be pretty decent...

I have the Sennheiser CX500 in ears, and they’re fine for portable, but not as clear or as deep as what a decent set of over-ears will get me...

I bought a pair of Skullcandy’s a few years ago (off amazon) and have only used them maybe a dozen times... As they give me serious pains and don’t really get nearly as loud as I wish they would.

Anyways, I hope you guys can help me out here as im looking to buy in the next couple of days... And im hopeless at making decisions... So do it for me ahhaha

Thanks guys,
Mitch

Mar 29, 2011 at 3:23 AM Post #2 of 15
If you want comfort go with a set of Beyers. Maybe the DT 770? They're closed to block noise, and kinda sorta within your price range. I always hate going over budget because I know how tight money is right now. But you can snag 'em for 250 and you can't beat the comfort. They work well with most genres.

Again, sorry to go over budget.

Quote:
hey everyone, im very VERY new to this site... and this subject...

basically over the weekend i was in a local electronics store here in Australia and they had the Beats by Dre - Studios on display, so i gave them a try and was very impressed. though not with the price tag...

so i got home and used the google box and stumbled across this site (and many, MANY others) who all say the same thing, that the Beats By Dre are nowhere near the quality for the price as compared to competitors etc. etc.

So my question is this, for under $200, what in your opinion for the best headphones for the following use:

Mainly at work, sitting at the desk (able to knock out a LITTLE office sound, phones, people bitching etc)
Supply decent, but not overpowering bass
super SUPER comfortable (sensitive ears) and I’ll be wearing them for 8hours+
Music genre will mostly be Rock... A little hip hop... And a little electronic...

Due to discovering this website I have a great interest in getting into Audiophilia (is that a word? sounds sick lol)... So I’d like these headphones to be pretty decent...

I have the Sennheiser CX500 in ears, and they’re fine for portable, but not as clear or as deep as what a decent set of over-ears will get me...

I bought a pair of Skullcandy’s a few years ago (off amazon) and have only used them maybe a dozen times... As they give me serious pains and don’t really get nearly as loud as I wish they would.

Anyways, I hope you guys can help me out here as im looking to buy in the next couple of days... And im hopeless at making decisions... So do it for me ahhaha

Thanks guys,
Mitch

Mar 29, 2011 at 8:46 AM Post #3 of 15
Thanks for that, I'll definitely look into them (found them on amazon for under $200 - hoping their not fake but lol)

Anyone else got a headphone setup in mind? I should also add I'm not looking to amp them an will mainly be played straight from iPod and my iMac (total iwhore right here) lol

Mar 29, 2011 at 9:11 AM Post #4 of 15
I have no advice for the actual headphones, but if you want to buy whatever you decide on locally instead of from Amazon, http://headphones.com.au is a good place. They also offer a 20 day trial.

Mar 29, 2011 at 8:13 PM Post #5 of 15
Hey Ratchet, thanks for that, they seem like a pretty cool shop, unfortunately they’re the other side of Aus to me (im in brisbane), and their prices are twice that in Amazon... if one of these weren’t the case i’d probably be pretty keen...

Mar 29, 2011 at 9:41 PM Post #8 of 15
Maybe some ultrasones..like the HFI 580, but some people have comfort issues as well. 

Of the M50's with beyer pads (taken from another thread)

Mar 29, 2011 at 10:28 PM Post #10 of 15
Try looking into getting a used Denon D2000. It should be significantly better than most of the headphones mentioned here. It may be slightly over your budget, however they are easy to drive and you can look into amping them later.

Mar 29, 2011 at 10:48 PM Post #11 of 15
Woah woah woah. What Beyer pads fit the M50s? Could I use my extra Pro 750 pads for them? That'd be sexy.
EDIT: Derp. They're Beyer pads, not Ultrasone. I got too excited. lol
Quote:
Maybe some ultrasones..like the HFI 580, but some people have comfort issues as well. 

Of the M50's with beyer pads (taken from another thread)

Mar 30, 2011 at 12:01 AM Post #12 of 15
hey everyone, i was going through the process of ordering some headphones, only to discover nowhere on Amazon will mail to Australia... i dont want to buy them here as they're far FAR more expensive (shops havent quite caught up to the exchange rate)...so can anyone recomend an online shop that will post internationally?

Mar 30, 2011 at 12:28 AM Post #13 of 15

Quote:
hey everyone, i was going through the process of ordering some headphones, only to discover nowhere on Amazon will mail to Australia... i dont want to buy them here as they're far FAR more expensive (shops havent quite caught up to the exchange rate)...so can anyone recomend an online shop that will post internationally?

I bought my M50's from amazon, and I live in Newcastle, they arrived in about a week/2 weeks. From memory the place was ace photo digital or something like that. i'd vote for the m50's in your case, i was pretty much in exactly the same boat as you. wanted a pair for work, listen to music most of the day straight from the computer. I love the m50's, heaps clearer and nicer than what I had before. I'm starting to look at different headphones now just to see what else is out there, but the M50's are a pretty good gateway for the price I paid (postage was like 50 bucks sadly, but i used a voucher i had so it didnt cost me anything).

Mar 30, 2011 at 1:21 AM Post #14 of 15
Hey Horseypie, thanks heaps mate, have been ordered... i tried to find the voucher but to no avail... but still saved at least AU$100 from buying them local. ATH-M50's are on their way!!!

Quote:
I bought my M50's from amazon, and I live in Newcastle, they arrived in about a week/2 weeks. From memory the place was ace photo digital or something like that. i'd vote for the m50's in your case, i was pretty much in exactly the same boat as you. wanted a pair for work, listen to music most of the day straight from the computer. I love the m50's, heaps clearer and nicer than what I had before. I'm starting to look at different headphones now just to see what else is out there, but the M50's are a pretty good gateway for the price I paid (postage was like 50 bucks sadly, but i used a voucher i had so it didnt cost me anything).

Mar 31, 2011 at 7:13 AM Post #15 of 15

Quote:
Hey Horseypie, thanks heaps mate, have been ordered... i tried to find the voucher but to no avail... but still saved at least AU$100 from buying them local. ATH-M50's are on their way!!!

ohh haha, my bad. i meant i had a voucher my work had given me, one of those prepaid visa cards as a bonus ha. sorry mate. but yeah you'll enjoy the m50's dont worry too much about burn in, i havent noticed a major difference but thats because ive just listened to them constantly, so if theyve changed its been slow and unnoticeable. i really like them though

Users who are viewing this thread

Back