Best Multi-purpose headphone under $200
Feb 19, 2013 at 4:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

sbrennt

New Head-Fier
Hey everyone, new to this forum (actually new to forums all together, this is my first post in any forum)  so excuse any of my ultra-noob behavior.  

Ok so I have been looking all over the internet for a pair of headphones. My last pair of Fake Chinese MDR-7509's were sat on by a very large woman while i was on an airplane, and they didn't stand a chance, so now I need a new pair.

I have been looking all over the internet, but I need some help from some more knowledgable people, rather than my buddy that works at guitar center haha

I am going to be using these headphones for a lot of different purposes, because i can only really afford one good pair, and can't buy multiple headphones for each purpose.  I'll use them for casual listening, drumming, recording, mixing, and Djing.  I'm not expecting it to perfectly do all of those, just something that will "work" for each application.  

I am looking for a headphone that is:
1. Closed
2. Has a fairly flat and un-colored response (for mixing) 
3. Isn't too ugly to wear in public
4. has a detachable cable (so i can replace, because i can almost guarantee that i'll break the cable and need a new one)
5. has good isolation (keeping sound from coming out)
6. can be driven without an amp
7. Durable 
8. And it can't be a pair of beats.  I went down that path and I don't plan on ever touching another pair. period. they just plain sucked.

I've looked at a ton of comparison and reviews, and the three that stood out to me were the
- Beyer Custom one pro (i like the over ear design and the bass sliders are a pretty cool feature)
- Senn HD 25-1 ii (their fantastic reputation is hard to ignore, but they are supra-aural, which isn't my favorite)
- DT 770 pro (I tried a friends pair, and loved them, but the cable wouldn't come detach, which makes me scared)
- Pioneer HDJ-2000 (they look super cool, but many say the hinge breaks, and many also say the bass can be a little sloppy/slow)
- Sony MDR-7506 Great reputation, but once again, no detachable cable :frowning2:

Anybody own any of these headphones or have another recommendations? My budget is around $200.  I'm leaning towards the custom one pro or HD 25-1 ii.

Feb 19, 2013 at 4:52 PM Post #2 of 13
Senn HD25-1 ii clamps pretty hard but I find that with the velour pads and adjust just right, I can have them on for hours at a time while working. My only gripe is the highs are a bit piercing on certain tracks and on certain days, I just can't stand them at all no matter what I do so I just switch over to my M-80s. If you're sibilant sensitive, I'd be careful about it.

Feb 19, 2013 at 5:02 PM Post #3 of 13
Quote:
Senn HD25-1 ii clamps pretty hard but I find that with the velour pads and adjust just right, I can have them on for hours at a time while working. My only gripe is the highs are a bit piercing on certain tracks and on certain days, I just can't stand them at all no matter what I do so I just switch over to my M-80s. If you're sibilant sensitive, I'd be careful about it.

thanks for the reply.  I'm glad the hd 25s are comfortable thats a relief, and thats good to know about highs.

about the M-80;

I've seen the M-80's but was kind of scared off by a few reviews.  Would you say they are as accurate as the Hd 25's?  They look awesome, and comfortable, but I don't know if it would be too colored for mixing... In other words would you say they are fairly flat?

Feb 19, 2013 at 5:26 PM Post #4 of 13
I wouldn't mix with the M80s. They have a more fun and relaxed signature. Has a humped midbass and slightly rolled off treble. I love the mids on them tho, slightly forward and warm.

A/Bing the M80s and HD25:
Bass-
M80 : More impact, less detailed, but "fun"
HD25 : Punchy and detailed, not as in your face. 

Treble-
M80 : rolled off, less impact, less energy but relaxed and not as fatiguing.
HD25 : high energy, has zing and cymbals feel right but can get out of hand.

Mids-
M80s: Forward and warm
HD25: Recessed slightly. More neutral.

Feb 19, 2013 at 5:33 PM Post #6 of 13
Quote:
I wouldn't mix with the M80s. They have a more fun and relaxed signature. Has a humped midbass and slightly rolled off treble. I love the mids on them tho, slightly forward and warm.

A/Bing the M80s and HD25:
Bass-
M80 : More impact, less detailed, but "fun"
HD25 : Punchy and detailed, not as in your face. 

Treble-
M80 : rolled off, less impact, less energy but relaxed and not as fatiguing.
HD25 : high energy, has zing and cymbals feel right but can get out of hand.

Mids-
M80s: Forward and warm
HD25: Recessed slightly. More neutral.

hmmmmm... thats what I was thinking.  Really great comparison btw, it really helps!  I just wish someone would make one pair of flat headphones that look as cool as the M80s.  I would buy them in a heart beat.  

Speaking of cool looking headphones has anyone tried those AIAIAI tma-1 studios?  they look cool but do they sound any good?

Feb 19, 2013 at 5:39 PM Post #7 of 13
Linky

I would check that link out. joker does a great review with some cross comparisons against similiar hps. He has a more detailed review on the HD25-1 II, m80s and the V6, which is similar to the MDR-7506. Great read and a lot of info to digest.

P.S. - Forgot, sorry about your wallet. 
wink_face.gif

Feb 19, 2013 at 5:43 PM Post #8 of 13
Have you looked into the Audio Technica ATH-M50s?

I know the standard edition doesn't have a removable cord, but i'm sure there is a version out there that does come with a removable cord.

Feb 19, 2013 at 5:46 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:
Linky

I would check that link out. joker does a great review with some cross comparisons against similiar hps. He has a more detailed review on the HD25-1 II, m80s and the V6, which is similar to the MDR-7506. Great read and a lot of info to digest.

P.S. - Forgot, sorry about your wallet. 
wink_face.gif

Looks like this guy loves the HD 25's.   They look that they will last a long time, and they look like they sound pretty good too, so I'll try em out.

Feb 19, 2013 at 5:53 PM Post #10 of 13
KRK KNS 8400 fits every bit of your criteria, although I can't say with 100% certainty that it's going to be durable enough for you since that is one of your concerns. Mine has had no problems whatsoever, but it does feel a little flimsy compared to my m50 so I wouldn't go throwing it in a bag and schlepping it around carelessly. 

Feb 19, 2013 at 6:11 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:
KRK KNS 8400 fits every bit of your criteria, although I can't say with 100% certainty that it's going to be durable enough for you since that is one of your concerns. Mine has had no problems whatsoever, but it does feel a little flimsy compared to my m50 so I wouldn't go throwing it in a bag and schlepping it around carelessly. 

I have a pair of monitor speakers from KRK (rokit 5) and for the price, they are fantastic.  I would imagine those KRKs are pretty great too.  Checked em out, and everyone says they are really quite accurate.  I'll consider those as well.  thnx for the suggestion!

Feb 19, 2013 at 6:43 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Cool man, looked em up and they look pretty dang accurate. I would probably get those if they weren't so big.  When I am drumming i always manage to fling big headphones off my head.  I think I'll order the HD 25's now.  thanks so much everyone for all of your suggestions and advice. 
biggrin.gif

Mar 4, 2013 at 11:04 PM Post #13 of 13
I got my HD-25s, had for about a week now and man they are spectacular!  I love them!  Highly recommend them! I haven't had them long enough to really describe their character, but seriously, way to go sennheiser.  They fit my criteria perfectly.  Literally no complaints.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back