Best mp3 player for earsonics SM3
Jun 8, 2010 at 5:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

allex8

New Head-Fier
Hello,
I've just ordered the earsonics SM3 and i'm looking for the best mp3 player that i can get with an average budget of 300€/350$.

You are very welcome to give your suggestions!

Jun 8, 2010 at 1:57 PM Post #4 of 18
I just got the SM3s also! Congrats brotha! I have an iPhone 3GS and from what I hear, its a great player. I also just ordered a 8gb Clip+ from Dell.com for $39.99 shipped + 16gb micro sd for $23 shipped, making a sweet portable 24gb rig for under $70.

Jun 8, 2010 at 2:34 PM Post #5 of 18
Sony X1061(32GB) has spurb soundquality and clean signals like iMod 5.5G ipod, S-Flo2, S9 and J3 also work well with these IEMs( BTW are you looking for specific capacity or?).

Jun 8, 2010 at 2:39 PM Post #6 of 18
Well thank you for the advices but i was thinkin' more to the cowon s9 although today i read the topic in this forum of a guy who didn't like it. 
The hifiman 801 is too big and expensive for my pockets.

I just want the best mp3 player that i can get (hifiman apart)
So,if you can assure me that the s9 is the best combination for my SM3 then i will probably buy it.

But,if you have any other idea..please let me know.

Jun 8, 2010 at 3:13 PM Post #8 of 18

Quote:
Sony X1061(32GB) has spurb soundquality and clean signals like iMod 5.5G ipod, S-Flo2, S9 and J3 also work well with these IEMs( BTW are you looking for specific capacity or?).

Quote:
I also have the X1060 and SM3's and think they match up very well indeed.

thank you, i will consider that in the meantime.Still wait for other tips!

Jun 8, 2010 at 3:15 PM Post #9 of 18
thank you,i will consider that in the meantime.still wait for other tips.

By the way..does anyone know what would be the best portable amp in terms of quality/dimensions to buy considering the only sm3 for now?

Jun 8, 2010 at 4:30 PM Post #10 of 18
If you want pure sound quality for music, I highly suggest the T51/s:flo2 although you might have to wait for a while to get the player in your hands. 

Amazing sound quality and has a dedicated LO for future amp usage. I love mine. Those are around 150 too; firmware isn't top notch but there aren't any bugs or anything with the player now; it's pretty solid. 

Jun 8, 2010 at 6:17 PM Post #11 of 18
Although I don't have one, I hear s:flo2 is a great player. Doesn't look like you can go wrong with it unless the 16gb + 32gb expansion for a total max of 48gb is not enough space for you.
regular_smile .gif

Jun 8, 2010 at 8:33 PM Post #12 of 18
SM3 is a superbly easy to drive earphone, so almost anything will do well with it. Cowon will have a harder time than the others listed here, but not by much. It sounds great from: iPod touch, Sony A828 and X (but hisses quite badly), S:Flo2, iPod nano 1G (Cowon-style roll off), Sansa Fuze and Sansa Clip.

Jun 8, 2010 at 9:41 PM Post #14 of 18
An amp will help 'sparkle' because of either:
A. better treble/bass performance
B. better channel separation

As long as you don't own a Cowon or old iPod, though, you don't really need A. The S:Flo has a somewhat noticeable treble roll off - an amp helps that. But I'd just listen to the earphones first and see if you like them without an amp. I tend to think an amp ISN'T needed with any of my sources. I appreciate the small differences, but the SM3 is an easy to drive earphone unlike a lot of balanced armature earphones. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back