Best, Most Exciting Closed 'Phones
Oct 28, 2008 at 11:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

jsplice

500+ Head-Fier
I'm listening to the HD280s. At moments they sound great, other times they sound boring. Can I do better for around the same price? They need to be closed because I'm using them at work and don't want sound to leak...

Thanks

Oct 28, 2008 at 12:41 PM Post #3 of 21
don't forget the M-Audio Q40 if you're looking at the denons or rp21

Oct 28, 2008 at 1:16 PM Post #4 of 21
Hmm....I like the fact that those Q40's fold. I don't know if Guitar Center carries any of these in the store. I know they have the Sony MDR-V6 and the Audio Technica ATH-M30....

Oct 28, 2008 at 2:05 PM Post #5 of 21
Beyerdynamic DT770 2005 Consumer edition. They're a steal on Amazon right now and they are amazingly good cans with suitable amplification.

Oct 28, 2008 at 2:24 PM Post #6 of 21
I'm looking for something that can be driven by only an iPod or a laptop computer, so the DT770's might not work. They also can't fold up, so due to their size, I'd have a hard time transporting them to and from work every day in my laptop bag....

Oct 28, 2008 at 2:31 PM Post #7 of 21
I have the Audio Technica ATH-ES7. They are nice headphones for on-the-go. Your ipod won't have any trouble driving them and they fold flat.

I'd classify them as a fun headphone and I enjoy them alot. They stay on your head pretty nice and are very comfortable. Not too expensive as I bought mine on amazon for just over $100.00.

Oct 28, 2008 at 2:49 PM Post #8 of 21
Ok either my ears are changing, or these HD 280s are starting to burn in nice. I'm beginning to think I can live with this sound. On some of my electonic music, they are sounding great while hooked up to the iPod. Bass sounds to be pretty neutral, and very present. Not sure what people mean when they say it is "lean." They must be people that prefer over-emphasized bass. True, the upper frequencies aren't fantastic, but I'm fairly sensitive to a lot of treble, and prefer my music to not sound bright.

Oct 28, 2008 at 3:03 PM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by silverrain /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sony V6 is way better than the HD280.

Really? I haven't heard the V6 but I have to be a little skeptical of that...

These HD280s isolate outside noise VERY well. And since I'm at work where there can be lots of conversations going on around me in the office, that feature is very nice.

Oct 28, 2008 at 3:06 PM Post #11 of 21
how long are you using these? it's normal for some break-in to happen (either you or the cans...) so give them some time if you haven't already.

Oct 28, 2008 at 4:13 PM Post #12 of 21
I actually just got them last night. They've been burning in a lot since then. I'm liking the sound more and more. I'm not sure why everyone seems to hate these cans....

Oct 28, 2008 at 5:29 PM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by jsplice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I actually just got them last night. They've been burning in a lot since then. I'm liking the sound more and more. I'm not sure why everyone seems to hate these cans....

For what it's worth, my 81 year old dad loves his 280s - and he was into audio back when it really was a hobby, build your own amps, speakers, etc.

Oct 28, 2008 at 5:43 PM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by silverrain /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sony V6 is way better than the HD280.

interesting. all the sony headphones i've tried so far were muddy and overpriced.

Oct 29, 2008 at 3:15 PM Post #15 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by jsplice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Really? I haven't heard the V6 but I have to be a little skeptical of that...

These HD280s isolate outside noise VERY well. And since I'm at work where there can be lots of conversations going on around me in the office, that feature is very nice.

You said they had them in the store -- go try them out if you can.
Realize that I am talking about SQ, not isolation.
Judge for yourself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back