Best, most durable closed headphones for any type of sound.
Apr 22, 2013 at 6:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

Notyu

New Head-Fier
MAKE SURE TO READ THE END OF THIS POST FOR MORE CHOICES!

Hello, I'm new here at the Head-Fi forums, and I'm glad I found them.

I started a new thread because I feel that my request isn't as simple as some others, and I'd rather not get lost in the ocean of questions and answers found in the recommendations thread.

I have spent the longest while wading through tons of headphones and never really being sure what to purchase. I thought that when I found the Meze brand the choice would become simpler, but from looking through the forums it seems that his headphones are nothing too special and are overpriced rip-offs. It's a real shame because the concept of wooden headphones really intrigues me. I am SICK of every pair of headphones I buy breaking after a while and I want something with better build quality. On top of that, the concept of wooden headphones resonating better seems plausible to me, but what do I know?

I've found out about the "Esmooth" brand of headphones on these forums, and looking at they're website, there's tons of different kinds of them, though no easy way to obtain most of them. Are these headphones really worth looking at anyway?

Another thing that really pisses me off is the variety of different types of listening styles headphones cater to. This one has more bass, this one is better for dupstep, this one is better for rock, this one serves you waffles, etc. ENOUGH; how about a pair of headphones that just sounds like the thing I want to listen to. I understand that many people prefer more bass in their headphones, or whatever, but it seems like most of the info I'm finding caters to people who want specific types of headphones, and very rarely does someone mention that they want a pair of headphones that sounds good for whatever they happen to listen to. Are most headphones only capable of accurately reproducing one or two types of music each?

So in short, these are the things I'm looking for:

-The best, most accurate overall sound for any type of music. I listen to so many different types of music, I don't want to betray any of them. I'd like good detail, I think, if it means hearing every instrument clearly as individuals, instead of as a clumped mess.

-Durability. When I buy things, I don't want to have to replace them often. Buying headphones shouldn't be liking renting a car; it should be like buying something to keep forever.

-On the ear, or preferably over the ear headphones, with CLOSED backs. Yes, open back headphones have a better soundstage or whatever, but I want headphones that don't destroy the most important part of headphones to me: privacy. If I wanted everybody else around me to hear what I'm hearing, I'd buy some speakers. If I wanted a good way of listening to music at home, I'd buy a pair of speakers. Sure, open headphones may be superior in some ways compared to speakers, but I don't have enough money to buy both, and I need speakers more than open air headphones, and I need privacy when I'm not using my speakers.

-Comfortable headphones. They still have to feel nice on my head, even after extended periods of use. I'm tired of headphones causing aches after a while.

-Good value for the price. I don't like buying something for more than I should, but if it's worth the money, I'll buy it. Preferably, I'd like to stay under $500, and even nicer, around $250 or maybe even $150, but I'll take any suggestions, even if they're well over $500.

-Function over Beauty. I don't care if I have to wrap something resembling a piece of **** around my head, as long as it sounds good. I would prefer headphones that don't resemble fecal matter, and maybe even look cool, but I will consider any pair of headphones no matter what they look like.

EDIT: I forgot to mention some things.

-They can't contain any real leather. None at all. Fake leather is ok, as long as it doesn't use any real leather at all.

-I'm very stingy with my money, and will only pay for something if they are worth what I pay for it. But if they are, I will consider them over a cheaper pair that are worth their lower asking price, as I want little reason to ever upgrade. If nothing compares to an expensive pair of headphones, I'll take the plunge! But if there are headphones that are about the same, performance-wise, and are much less expensive, I will probably go for those instead.

I don't have the money to try out any set of cans I want, so I need all the advice I can get.

Thanks for all your input so far! You're all so helpful.

EDIT: Poll added!  After voting, please tell me why you voted for what you did.

Thank you for being extremely friendly and reasonable throughout! No forum has treated me with such levelheadedness and rationality before!

UPDATE: Spring Sale on numerous pairs of headphones! Out of all of them, two are have closed backs:

Quote:
Beyerdynamic T70
Retail: $569
Open Box: $395

Shure SRH-940
Retail: $299
Open Box: $225

Judging by my requested specs, would any of these be the best choice for me?

EDIT: Audeze LCD 2, Grado GS1000, Grado RS1i, Grado RS2i, and Shure SRH-1440 are all open air, and the Beatboxes are speakers. I didn't even bother to check before, I just haphazardly posted whatever was in the "Spring Sale" thread. Whoops.

So the poll was redone.....again.......in order to account for these mistakes. For everyone who already voted, please vote again! You've all been really helpful. 

Also, please tell me if I'll need an amp with any specific pairs of headphones.

OTHER HEADPHONES I'M CONSIDERING:

Can anyone tell me more about the Beyerdynamic DT 880's?

Apr 22, 2013 at 7:03 PM Post #2 of 38
Sony MDR-V6

$73 on Amazon right now. Add either they Beyerdynamic or Auray velour pads if you want more comfort and durability for another ~$25. 

-Very durable. A lot of people here pairs that have been abused for well over a decade and still work fine. However, the stock pleather pads will fall apart in a year or two, so replace them with the velours if you don't want to bother replacing ever again. 
-Good sound. Fairly neutral, though somewhat V shaped, very detailed. Though it does best with electronic and worst with full orchestra, it is good with pretty much any genre. Flaws are that they tend to reveal flaws in poor quality recordings and have a pretty small sound stage. 

Apr 22, 2013 at 7:14 PM Post #3 of 38
Sennheiser HD-25 I II/Amperior 
Forward sound, with good bass response. VERY solid, but comfort may be an issue for some -1 

Apr 22, 2013 at 7:33 PM Post #4 of 38
Quote:
Sony MDR-V6

$73 on Amazon right now. Add either they Beyerdynamic or Auray velour pads if you want more comfort and durability for another ~$25. 

-Very durable. A lot of people here pairs that have been abused for well over a decade and still work fine. However, the stock pleather pads will fall apart in a year or two, so replace them with the velours if you don't want to bother replacing ever again. 
-Good sound. Fairly neutral, though somewhat V shaped, very detailed. Though it does best with electronic and worst with full orchestra, it is good with pretty much any genre. Flaws are that they tend to reveal flaws in poor quality recordings and have a pretty small sound stage. 

Yes, I've heard about those. My impression is that there are better headphones out there, but I could be wrong.

Apr 22, 2013 at 8:58 PM Post #5 of 38
In terms of sound accuracy: 
This is a good resource: http://www.headphone.com/learning-center/build-a-graph.php
I guess you would want a flat frequency response curve.  But also check out the square wave response and make sure they look like square wave (i.e. accurately reproduced).
I believe each musician masters their music to cater to either their own studio-monitor reference or their audience's headphones and so an "intended sound" is really left to the user.

However here's what I think fit your description

Best Value:  ATH-M50

Comfortable:  Beyerdynamic DT 770

Built like tank:  V-MODA M100s or M80s

I'm sure there's a lot more.  When in doubt, try them out!

Apr 22, 2013 at 9:19 PM Post #7 of 38
Ye. I definitely recommend the DT770 pro 80 ohm. Those are a pair of great all around headphones. They are accurate. Lots of detail, incredibly comfortable with their velour pads, closed back, and will last you for YEARS AND YEARS. Honestly the only parts that wear out are the pads and you can buy a new pair for twenty bucks. The headphones go for about 160$ new on ebay, or 180$ new on amazon

Apr 22, 2013 at 9:36 PM Post #8 of 38
For a closed can, i think u ought to check out AKG550...
the separation, the spaciousness, the bass..
from classicals to BEAT IT..
looks solid..easily powered..for 200bucks or less..
the pads so comfy, hugs my face like a pancake..lol.

Apr 23, 2013 at 11:34 AM Post #12 of 38
Haven't heard the DT770 but I have the T70 right now and it isn't as neutral as you want (at least how you're making it sound). The AKG K550 should be a good fit but it had pleather earpads (fake/manmade leather). 

Apr 23, 2013 at 1:27 PM Post #13 of 38
Sennheiser HD25II (with velour pads) or Beyer 770s if you have eclectic taste in music - good value and durable with great sound.  Sennheiser Momentums would be a recommend too other than I think they have real leather on them.

Apr 24, 2013 at 12:13 PM Post #15 of 38
Quote:
For a closed can, i think u ought to check out AKG550...
the separation, the spaciousness, the bass..
from classicals to BEAT IT..
looks solid..easily powered..for 200bucks or less..
the pads so comfy, hugs my face like a pancake..lol.

Separation, spaciousness, and bass… all these attributes sound nice… But the pancake analogy makes me hungry… and now I wanna try these headphones as well! Nice!  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back