Best mini jack to RCA interconnect?
Jan 17, 2006 at 12:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

dcginc

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking to connect an Ipod via the headphone jack to my Headroom Cosmic amp... right now, im using an monster cable created for apple. for $20 it sounds ok. is cardas the on ly one doing this kind of cable?

I'm thinking about putting AudioArts Equinox cable into the signal path from the senn cans to the headphone amp. Was wondering if the 1/8 to RCA path is only done via cardas in the after market.

Jan 17, 2006 at 4:38 AM Post #2 of 8
I'm using a Straightwire RCA to Mini to fed my Headroom Little. Got it from Headroom. Much better than the Circus City variety. I also use a Cardas from iRiver to portable phone amp.
If you check around, you'll find quite a variety of RCA-Mini cables in all price ranges

Lee

Jan 17, 2006 at 5:27 AM Post #3 of 8
Get yourself an RCA to Mini adapter such as this one from AudioQuest:

AQMINI_000.jpg

Or the $5 variety from Radio Shack and you can use whatever ICs you'd like in your setup.

Jan 17, 2006 at 11:20 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oski
Or the $5 variety from Radio Shack and you can use whatever ICs you'd like in your setup.

At least one person who has used both adapters has found the Radio Shack version to cause significant roll-off at the frequency extremes.

Jan 18, 2006 at 3:04 PM Post #5 of 8
Well if you also want to improve on the iPod output quality, go for the bottom output.
I have a DIY cable now and the sound is greatly improved. Previously I used the SikDin and cardas but my DIY even surpassed that in sound.

2006-01-1516-30-50_0016.jpg

Rgds hans

Jan 18, 2006 at 5:15 PM Post #6 of 8
I'd be really interested in hearing how you made that cable up.. When does the bit for the ipod end come from? I'm just about to make up a 1/8 to 1/8, but would much rather do it your way.

Jan 18, 2006 at 5:56 PM Post #7 of 8
In short:

It is from 2 strands 0.8mm 99,99% silver and a 99,99% silver mantel.
Then 2 teflon 1mm tubes to fit around the 0,8mm strands those 2 are twisted at every inch or so.
then the silver mantel and PVC tube (the blue one) to finish it off.

I ordered all materials via internet.

I have to pop out for an hour or two but I can give details later, pm me if needed.

EDIT: If you want I can also build one to your spec on request. I have materials left.

Rgds hans

Jan 18, 2006 at 11:25 PM Post #8 of 8
Damn! Have just bought some cardas 24x4 (whatever that is) and bits to go with it, (canare 1/8 plugs) otherwise I would have taken you up on the offer. I'd still like to know where you found the output jack though..

I'll be using this to link up a stax portable sytem to the iPod. i take it you don't find the silver cable too bright?

david

Users who are viewing this thread

Back