Best MD to get?
Oct 22, 2002 at 12:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Tachyon

New Head-Fier
After my long search for CD/mp3 portables, I think I might as well look into MDs as well.

I am totally new to this, so please teach me.

It seems that people arent worry (or dont talk about it as much) about sound quality issues of MD as compare to CDs. Why is that? From my brief experience with a few MD players, it indeed sounds much better, but is there still a difference b/w brands and models?

The thing about MD that really sucks for me is that I dont have a recorder for such a thing. The new ones I heard uses USB / USB2.0 / Firewire which works alot better for me as I am a computer nutcase. (all my songs are in mp3 format, so I its either getting a mp3 player or an MD that can digitally transfer the songs somehow) Which brands are the best quality wise? With the USB transfer, is the MD still as bulky as the old recording style?

What features are good to have from your experience? FM tuner in any of them?

I heard of the new formats as NetMD from Sony are real pain in *ss to use. Are there other brands or other products that replaces this, or are better?

Thanks,

Sorry for the long post

Oct 22, 2002 at 1:28 AM Post #2 of 3
if most of your music is in mp3 form, i would go with a hd player like the ipod. it makes little sense to pile lossy compression on top of lossy compression.

as i have zero mp3's, and lots of cds and albums, i went with md. i have a jb930 deck (atract type-r) and r50 and r70 pmdr's. the r50 is great for use with an amp, and the r70 + sony d66 pro headphones is an ideal non-amp portable solution.

good luck.

Oct 22, 2002 at 7:12 AM Post #3 of 3
You could wait for the new Archos recorder with the built-in FM tuner. Rumour also has it that a new player/recorder will be available from Bantam.

If you're exclusively MP3, and you don't do a lot of recording in the field, I'd say forget MD... It will drive you around the bend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back