Best low end you've heard from sub 500 dynamics
Oct 9, 2019 at 6:07 PM Post #17 of 29
Never said dynamics produce a better sound, only mentioned that I prefer them. With the planars I've owned, I found the bass to linear and a bit dry. Different strokes.

I understand what you are saying, but it is hard to point in any direction without a bearing. What have you owned and why you don't like it? Or you have an example of a dynamic headphone that you have and it is not good enough because..? Otherwise to each their own indeed, what I find lacking in bass, you might find just right. Or vice versa...

Oct 9, 2019 at 6:26 PM Post #18 of 29
I understand what you are saying, but it is hard to point in any direction without a bearing. What have you owned and why you don't like it? Or you have an example of a dynamic headphone that you have and it is not good enough because..? Otherwise to each their own indeed, what I find lacking in bass, you might find just right. Or vice versa...
That's why I'm asking for people to tell me what they feel is the best they've heard, and more importantly, why.
The two I currently own that are decent are the NightOwl and 99 Classics with original pads. Still quite some distance from what I'm after though. The 99s have a bit too much bass (not by a large margin) - more so mid bass. Sub bass isn't as quick as I'd like, and it gets a bit boomy. Not very agile, a bit thick and warm
The NightOwl has about the right amount of presence, but it can sound thin and hollow - very dark. Neither are as quick and layered as I'd like. In short, if I could find a can with a better low end, the treble and separation of the Msr7b, and the mids from the 99s, I'd be a happy camper. A big Soundstage isn't too important to me, as long as it isn't directly in my head. If the M-Audio Q40 wasn't so boxed in, it would have stuck with me.

Oct 9, 2019 at 6:29 PM Post #19 of 29
Sorry, but what you are looking for is a planar magnetic headphone. ^^
I for one picked X2's for the plain reason that you can feel the rumble.

In your case, nothing but Planars come to mind. Don't think I have heard a dynamic headphone that gets all those points.
Definitely not after planars. I thought the X2 was pretty terrible for music. Great for movies though.

Oct 9, 2019 at 6:55 PM Post #20 of 29
Fostex TR-X00 Ebony has the most exciting “fun” low end I’ve ever heard in a headphone. Tight, punchy, and seemingly bottomless. The mids are too recessed for my music taste, but hot damn, that bass is incredible.

Oct 9, 2019 at 7:04 PM Post #21 of 29
That's why I'm asking for people to tell me what they feel is the best they've heard, and more importantly, why.
The two I currently own that are decent are the NightOwl and 99 Classics with original pads. Still quite some distance from what I'm after though. The 99s have a bit too much bass (not by a large margin) - more so mid bass. Sub bass isn't as quick as I'd like, and it gets a bit boomy. Not very agile, a bit thick and warm
The NightOwl has about the right amount of presence, but it can sound thin and hollow - very dark. Neither are as quick and layered as I'd like. In short, if I could find a can with a better low end, the treble and separation of the Msr7b, and the mids from the 99s, I'd be a happy camper. A big Soundstage isn't too important to me, as long as it isn't directly in my head. If the M-Audio Q40 wasn't so boxed in, it would have stuck with me.

I think I can now understand better what you are after, albeit roughly as I only know the headphones you mentioned by reading about them. I'd say have a look into Beyerdynamic DT1770 or 1990, That is up to you. I found the 1990 to have a bit too analytical sound, with my poor recordings in the mix, it was a bit annoying to hear all the problems and with that, the highs got a bit hot (But depends on the Recording more than anything.). It's a mixed bag, depends on who your talking to. A lot of people find the highs perfect, also depends on the AMP. The mids have a dip to them, so that might be against for you there, However they are quite smooth and nothing overbears them in any way. The Bass is "Fun" But I have to say it is sort of Balanced, it doesn't particularly stand out, but it is more pronounced than other headphones. The 1990 comes with two pads, so it's a bit different depending on the pad. I'm a bit vague as I haven't listened to it in a while.

Definitely not after planars. I thought the X2 was pretty terrible for music. Great for movies though.
X2 is a very good all arounder, if you are okay with the way it sounds. Albeit my first impressions of it were rather poor, years later combining it with an AMP that plays nice with it and it is a different story. I for one don't have a specific genre I listen to, so all around is a good choice for me and I watch movies and play games, which also works with the X2. For me Bass that can rumble is important, with the right amp, it is also tight enough for me. Mids just need to be present and as long as highs accentuate the right frequencies, I'm a happy camper. Incidentally they also happen to be the most comfortable headphone I own (to me), I tended to default to it with all my headphones within reach. Even ones technically superior like LCD2C...

Oct 9, 2019 at 9:39 PM Post #22 of 29

What you are talking about reminds me to the beyerdynamic sound signature.
MSR7b is nice, but the treble extension is to hard, imo.
If you could stretch the budget go and get a Quad Era-1. :)
It has it's own unique sound signature you have to autitioned first, but you have to. :wink:

The other one is the 1990 if you can't get the T1/ T5p.
The 1990 is close to your description, while the T1 is a little bit warmer sounding, imo.
Era-1 got a much better mid range.
But it takes near $700.

I'm sorry about heading above the $500 you've mentoined. :wink:

Oct 9, 2019 at 9:56 PM Post #23 of 29
What you are talking about reminds me to the beyerdynamic sound signature.
MSR7b is nice, but the treble extension is to hard, imo.
If you could stretch the budget go and get a Quad Era-1. :)
It has it's own unique sound signature you have to autitioned first, but you have to. :wink:

The other one is the 1990 if you can't get the T1/ T5p.
The 1990 is close to your description, while the T1 is a little bit warmer sounding, imo.
Era-1 got a much better mid range.
But it takes near $700.

I'm sorry about heading above the $500 you've mentoined. :wink:
It's all good bud. One of the cans I'm actually pretty interested in is the Beyerdynamic T5p gen 2. Might have to stretch the budget a bit and go used. The Quads are planars though.

Oct 9, 2019 at 9:58 PM Post #24 of 29
I think I can now understand better what you are after, albeit roughly as I only know the headphones you mentioned by reading about them. I'd say have a look into Beyerdynamic DT1770 or 1990, That is up to you. I found the 1990 to have a bit too analytical sound, with my poor recordings in the mix, it was a bit annoying to hear all the problems and with that, the highs got a bit hot (But depends on the Recording more than anything.). It's a mixed bag, depends on who your talking to. A lot of people find the highs perfect, also depends on the AMP. The mids have a dip to them, so that might be against for you there, However they are quite smooth and nothing overbears them in any way. The Bass is "Fun" But I have to say it is sort of Balanced, it doesn't particularly stand out, but it is more pronounced than other headphones. The 1990 comes with two pads, so it's a bit different depending on the pad. I'm a bit vague as I haven't listened to it in a while.

X2 is a very good all arounder, if you are okay with the way it sounds. Albeit my first impressions of it were rather poor, years later combining it with an AMP that plays nice with it and it is a different story. I for one don't have a specific genre I listen to, so all around is a good choice for me and I watch movies and play games, which also works with the X2. For me Bass that can rumble is important, with the right amp, it is also tight enough for me. Mids just need to be present and as long as highs accentuate the right frequencies, I'm a happy camper. Incidentally they also happen to be the most comfortable headphone I own (to me), I tended to default to it with all my headphones within reach. Even ones technically superior like LCD2C...
Thank you. The Beyerdynamic treble concerns me a bit, but I don't mind using equalization, and generally prefer it.

Oct 9, 2019 at 10:00 PM Post #25 of 29
WildStyle - I'm very curious what the X3 will sound like. I thought the X1 was pretty good, and preferred it to the X2. Ended up selling it to help fund my NightOwl.

Oct 9, 2019 at 10:42 PM Post #26 of 29
I’m slightly reserved about posting as I have not heard a boatload of cans. Also my success has been thought of happening due to using the aftermarket Kimber cable. Though it was nice with stock cables out of my Asgard One.

I purchased them new as an open-box for $360. Lots of great bass.

Sony MDR-Z7
I second this. I purchased mine used for well under $300. Added a used 4.4 Kimber Kable for a great package well under $500. Lately the Z7 has become my go to can.

I think you'd do well to look into the Sony MDR-1AM2 as well.

Oct 10, 2019 at 12:26 AM Post #27 of 29
I second this. I purchased mine used for well under $300. Added a used 4.4 Kimber Kable for a great package well under $500. Lately the Z7 has become my go to can.

I think you'd do well to look into the Sony MDR-1AM2 as well.

I had no plans for the Z7. It seemed to offer polarized reviews here. Finding a $ special and hearing it first hand was intriguing enough to take a chance.

Later after using three cables and two amps plus two different DAPs, I started to hear and guess why the headphone was not universally loved. Part of it results from the Sony sound not being for everyone. Part may be the genres folks concentrate on? But maybe it’s the union of equipment and desired tone? I could not help but feel the right balanced amp, cleared up the low end murk? I also thought the Kimber spread out the highs and midrange. What was once a jagged treble peak became softer detail. There was both involvement and excitement to be had! It wasn’t like there was a bunch wrong in the end, in fact I felt right at home. :)

And while the Z7 does not offer the finesse or subtly of it’s MDR-Z1R older brother; it’s a better size, it’s still fun but does not cost over $2K. If a person is willing to milk a sound out of it they like, the build and comfort are amazing! IMO

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2019 at 12:50 AM Post #28 of 29
MDR-Z7 as mentioned or the Audeze Mobius if you'd consider planarmagnetic. The Mobius ties with the best extension I've heard in ANY headphone, namely the MDR-Z1R at around $1300 used. For bass extension you'll want a closed back headphone with large drivers.

Oct 10, 2019 at 2:41 AM Post #29 of 29
WildStyle - I'm very curious what the X3 will sound like. I thought the X1 was pretty good, and preferred it to the X2. Ended up selling it to help fund my NightOwl.

Oh Yeah, I'm getting the X3 as soon as it comes out. Hopefully it will be an upgrade. I have heard some mixed things on the X1 VS X2, some say it is an upgrade, some say it is a downgrade. Same headphone, but better or completely different beasts all together. ^^ As far as I can understand the X1's didn't have as much highs as the X2's, but that is the only thing people agree on it seems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back