1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Best low end you've heard from sub 500 dynamics

Next

Last
  1. Mhog55
    500 bucks or less, new or used, open or closed. I've yet to sample or own something that truly satisfies and delivers.
    I'm not a bass head, but I do appreciate it. Tight, visceral, but no boom or bloom. Fast, layered, with impact, without being over powering, bleeding, or felt physically. Precise and natural sounding - not artificial. I don't know, maybe I'm asking too much at this price point.
    Anyways, if you feel inclined, please let me know your pick, and maybe provide a quick summary of why you like it. I know I'll get different responses, because some like big bass, and some don't.

2. Kukuk
    I feel like a broken record recommending Hifiman HE-500s so much, but they really do tick every box.

Their bass is just above neutral, but it's incredibly flat and absolutely bottomless. Plus it's quick and detailed. For a non-bass head, it's basically the perfect bass response.

On the used market they typically run from $300-$350, which to this day still astounds me; They compete comfortably with ~$1500 headphones. In fact, I prefer them to both my HD800 and K812.

3. Mhog55
    I appreciate the response, but I'm after dynamic drivers.

4. Kukuk
    Any particular reason? It seems silly to cut out a potentially great headphone just because it's not a certain driver type.

5. Mhog55
    Power requirements and weight , plus I prefer the sound reproduction from dynamics better than planars. That's been my take thus far anyways. So not so much silly.

6. Monsterzero
    I will give my vote for the old Sennheiser HD250. Mid bass is strong. Sub bass is crazy. Yes,Ive heard tighter bass,but on high end planars and 4 digit dynamics.
    Some people report not getting a good seal,but I have not experienced this issue with the stock pads,and wearing glasses too.

I reviewed them about a year ago on my YouTube channel. Theyre tough to find,and even tougher for a decent price. I think I paid less than 80 bucks shipped for my pair. Best deal Ive made thus far in this hobby.

Mhog55 likes this.
  7. GREQ
    'Best' is too subjective, so I'll just list a few I like with different bass responses. All closed-back.

Satolex DH297-A1 Plum.
    Closed back dynamic, but with planar-like linearity down to 10hz. Not the most 'visceral' but one of the deepest hitting and most natural sounding, and a Jack of all trades.
    My use of 'natural' is how bass generally sounds in real life situations, which is often a bit slow and takes some time to decay. Planar bass is often very dry and studio-like, so if the natural 'slowness' is not in the recording, planar bass can sound a bit stale, which is only really noticeable in classical, chamber or acoustic recordings. Of course, not all studio recordings are dry, so it's just a generalization.
    Has a slight bass bump around 200hz, but somehow never sounds boomy at all.

JVC/Victor HA-MX100-Z (+ aftermarket MDR-Z1000 pads).
    Extremely tight and clean sound. Rolls off a little though at the very bottom end. Also one of the most neutral headphones I've ever heard, leaning towards Harman Target Curve response.
    Bass has most 'kick' around 90-100hz, and then starts to roll-off.
    Technically these punch way below their price point, putting some $1K+ headphones to shame. Some might find it sounds too tight and too clean, and therefore boring. Soundstage is rather limited too.

Beyerdynamic DT1770.
    No mid-bass emphasis, it's all sub-bass emphasis, which is a bit insane, and stupidly fun. I would describe this as 'visceral' or brutal with lots of 'thunder' at the very lowest frequencies.
    Not the most sub-bass I've ever heard, but an almost unique tuning that I think is quite tasteful.
    If you've heard a DT770 Pro 80 ohm, it's a little like that but more and better.

Mhog55 likes this.
  8. moriez
    You're saying visceral yet without felt physically. Aren't these the same thing? Well aware of how much I repeat myself ever since owning I think a lot of guys in the (hybrid driver) Pandora / Sonorous VI thread are in agreement with this recommendation. That it stuck with me as the most impressive overall doesn't say a whole lot but I preferred them over for example TH600/900/X00, Denon Dx000, DX1000 (bass canons) to name a few. So agile, so tight and the right amount. Actually not too sure about subbass capabilities. The bad news is it could be a bit heavy or clunky comfort wise.

Had no idea. Shortlisting.

9. tomb
    Massdrop TH-X00/TR-X00. They're closed - but the most open sounding closed cans out there, very low impedance (25 ohms), and very high efficiency. The bio-cellulose drivers are among the finest dynamic drivers around. The midrange is a bit subdued, but you get incredible bass along with great sparkle. They're a very fun set of headphones with beautiful finish treatments on the wood cups - also right at your budget at $470.

Note that the Massdrop TH-X00/TR-X00 are the current versions of the old Denon 5000 and 7000 cans, the wood cup versions of the old Denon 1000.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
    Allegro maestoso likes this.
  10. WildStyle-R11
    Sorry, but what you are looking for is a planar magnetic headphone. ^^
    I for one picked X2's for the plain reason that you can feel the rumble.

In your case, nothing but Planars come to mind. Don't think I have heard a dynamic headphone that gets all those points.

11. Redcarmoose
    I’m slightly reserved about posting as I have not heard a boatload of cans. Also my success has been thought of happening due to using the aftermarket Kimber cable. Though it was nice with stock cables out of my Asgard One.

I purchased them new as an open-box for $360. Lots of great bass.

Sony MDR-Z7
    667642CA-AC9D-468E-8E58-3BD7D23FACC4.jpeg E1B6821C-9193-4D08-A9A2-C43F25B6DB9B.jpeg 43CD3DFA-6B34-4F3E-B3E6-913807C50C81.jpeg

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
    PointyFox and CoryGillmore like this.
  12. Kukuk
    Power requirements and weight are fair points. The HE-500 in particular are quite power hungry, and very heavy. I'd make the case that despite being heavy, the weight is distributed well, so they're still very comfortable.

Saying that dynamics produce a sound that's better than planar dynamic does strike me as a bit odd, though. There's pretty consistent praise for their ability to produce fast, detailed bass; just the thing you're in search of.

To each their own, though. I just felt I'd be remiss if I didn't put this gem on your radar.

13. Mhog55
    Perhaps visceral isn't a proper description. I don't want to feel it, and I don't want massive bass, such as what you get with the majority of Fostex cans.

14. Mhog55
    These are actually at the top of my list, but I would want the cans with the least amount of bass. Maybe the Ebony or Teak.

15. Mhog55
    Never said dynamics produce a better sound, only mentioned that I prefer them. With the planars I've owned, I found the bass to linear and a bit dry. Different strokes.

Next

Last