Best lossless format, riper and player?
Oct 17, 2008 at 6:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

punk_guy182

1000+ Head-Fier
I now have 2000GB of free space and I would like to transfer 200 cds on my computer and I have been surfing the net and I don't know which format, rip and player program to install. I have a good audio setup so I'm looking for the best I can get.

1- WMA lossless or FLAC lossless?
2- Best rip program? EAC (Exact Audio Copy)?
3- Best program to use to play lossless audio files? Windows Media Play
o2smile.gif
er?

Oct 17, 2008 at 7:07 AM Post #2 of 26
1. Definitively .flac
2. Yup, EAC is the king of rippers
3. I doesn´t really matter what program you use, as long as it supports ASIO, WASAPI or some other form of streaming the music bit perfect and untouched to your audio setup. It seems that Foobar2000 is favored by many, but I myself preferre MediaMonkey.

Oct 17, 2008 at 3:43 PM Post #6 of 26
x2 on FLAC, EAC and Foobar2000

The OP seems to be running MS Windows, so these three choices are quite solid. Enjoy!
biggrin.gif

Oct 17, 2008 at 6:05 PM Post #7 of 26
I use Flac DBPoweramp Ripper and Foobar.

Oct 21, 2008 at 7:49 PM Post #10 of 26
Thanks for the input guys! That was really helpful.
regular_smile .gif

Oct 22, 2008 at 2:00 AM Post #11 of 26
. . . are other options - try them out; chances are that one of them (along with foobar) will have better synergy with your system. I'm running Vista, and XXHighend is FAR superior to the others. The demo version is free, but only plays for 20 minutes at a time. It was so much better that I decided to buy the license (~100 USD). I couldn't get cPlay to work
frown.gif
I'm not savvy enough with computers. Apparently some folks are very impressed with cPlay.

Foobar and XMplay sound very similar to me - I prefer one on some tunes and the other on others.

Try em all!

Cheers,
Larry

P.S. I use uncompressed wav files, but would use flac if I needed compression.

Oct 22, 2008 at 2:19 AM Post #12 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by LarryK2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
XXHighend is FAR superior to the others.

In what way is it far superior? SQ? Feature set...? I'm alsways looking for something better, and you have piqued my curiosity.

Oct 22, 2008 at 2:32 AM Post #13 of 26
best lossless format: Flac. widely supported. very flexible tag format. well documented.

best ripper: EAC, dBpoweramp and J. River MC 12 produce the same results when they succeed. None succeeds on the problem CDs in my collection. (1% of the total) I use MC 12 because it is less hassle for me than the other two.

best player: J. River MC 12 best support for using more tags than the basis Genre-Artist-Album-Track Name set. Multiple playback zones (multi-room), multiple libraries, multiple views of each library. Great tag editing commands and fine utilities. Decent documentation. Very active support forums. ASIO support that just works.

Bill

Oct 22, 2008 at 2:45 AM Post #14 of 26
. . . I forgot that there were areas other than sound quality. I'm referring to sound quality only. I haven't really explored the features of the players yet, as I wanted to first have the best sound quality.

Give the demo a try and let me know what you think. XXHighEnd - Index

Best,
Larry

Oct 22, 2008 at 3:10 AM Post #15 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by LarryK2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
. . . I forgot that there were areas other than sound quality. I'm referring to sound quality only. I haven't really explored the features of the players yet, as I wanted to first have the best sound quality.

Give the demo a try and let me know what you think. XXHighEnd - Index

Best,
Larry

I read his description, he doesn't mention any valid reason why his player should sound better than any other bit perfect player. Because it shouldn't and won't.
So I'll give my usual reply here, there's already many players that support bit-perfect playback, it is not possible to improve on this unless you like and use DSP. So the sound quality of this player cannot be any better than other players providing a bit-perfect stream.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back