Best Listening Headphones (Under ~$500)?
Jul 15, 2011 at 5:42 AM Post #91 of 98

Quote:
Perhaps you should consider the Goldrings? Goldring DR100 or DR150? (I'd say 150)  They're easily driven and seem to be fairly appreciated around here.
On the other hand, you could easily go with an external sound card, which improves the overall quality significantlly, just something to keep in mind, although the Goldrings will be driven good anyhow.
I'll buy the Grado SR 80i in just a matter of days now, so maybe you could look up their more expensive models as well.

Good Luck!

Dawg, you ain't reading this guys post!  He alright dropped his money on some decent stuff.  Plus a real DAC/amp makes sound cards seem like jokes!  Now that's jokes!!!

Jul 15, 2011 at 6:54 AM Post #92 of 98
From what I can tell the Goldrings were a sort of FOTM 4 years ago haha. Not sure why they would get recommended now, especially for anyone with a decent budget.

Quote:
Perhaps you should consider the Goldrings? Goldring DR100 or DR150? (I'd say 150)  They're easily driven and seem to be fairly appreciated around here.
On the other hand, you could easily go with an external sound card, which improves the overall quality significantlly, just something to keep in mind, although the Goldrings will be driven good anyhow.
I'll buy the Grado SR 80i in just a matter of days now, so maybe you could look up their more expensive models as well.

Good Luck!

Jul 15, 2011 at 10:22 AM Post #93 of 98
Quote:
While I'm a proponent for how good the NFB-12 is for the money and I have no doubt the HD650 is a fantastic headphone, I question the combination. The HD650 is renouned for being laid-back with rolled-off treble, and the NFB-12 is warm with a rolled-off treble, so I'm thinking that the combo would have an exceptionally laid-back, warm sound which would be a great cure for insomnia. Will be very interested to hear the OP's impressions of the combination.

confused_face.gif
  Neither the HD650s nor the NFB-12 have much treble roll-off.  Both have good extension.  

Jul 15, 2011 at 10:54 AM Post #94 of 98
Hmm, I can't comment on the NFB12, because I have the Fun. However supposedly they are the same thing except more condensed to fit in the NFB casing. The Fun is far from rolled off or warm. The HD650 has a slight roll off that incidentally matches the headroom graphs perfectly. It is warm but not overly so. It depends on the recording and the volume level, normal to high listening volumes are less warm than low volumes.

Jul 23, 2011 at 12:45 PM Post #98 of 98
Did you read the post above yours? Or the original post which I edited to say I made the choice? :p

Haven't even tried my 650s on an amp yet, so they sound pretty good (to me) without one, but I hear they're supposed to sound much better when my amp arrives.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back