Best JAZZ Headphone: recommendations, please!
Sep 19, 2008 at 11:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

zenjazz

New Head-Fier
I know this is an old topic. I am trying to get a headphone devoted solely to listening jazz.

Would jazz aficionados with golden ears kindly recommend a (very) good pair of headphones that is most suited for jazz listening ?

Many thanks.

Sep 20, 2008 at 1:01 AM Post #3 of 18
How much do you want to spend? Is this for portable or at-home listening? What kind of jazz? Vocals? Do you need sound-isolating headphones?

Answer these and you'll get more responses.

To get you started, do searches and read about the above mentioned K701 and Audio Technica AD700 and AD900.

Mooch

Sep 20, 2008 at 9:01 AM Post #7 of 18
GS-1000 for large soundstage, monumental presentation
RS-1 for Intimacy, sweet midrange

Sep 20, 2008 at 9:10 AM Post #8 of 18
If you're talking about combos in a club, or female vocalists in the same setting - my preference is Grado RS-1/flat earpads. Also, using tube amp. with them.......As someone said above - the intimate club setting, and sweet mids.

Sep 20, 2008 at 9:25 AM Post #9 of 18
I clearly prefer the GS-1000 for jazz but as others have said you do not get the intimate club feeling with this as it's soundstage is too big

Sep 20, 2008 at 9:35 AM Post #10 of 18
The Stax 4070 is magic with jazz (imo)...
"Best" is very subjective though, so make up your own mind.
wink.gif

Sep 20, 2008 at 9:40 AM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by zenjazz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would jazz aficionados with golden ears kindly recommend a (very) good pair of headphones that is most suited for jazz listening ?Many thanks.

I have enjoyed the sound of the Sennheisers (eg. HD-580,600,and 650) with all kinds of sources and all types of jazz and I recommend them. The HD-600's are the ones in heavy use now.
600smile.gif
Personally, I prefer a tube headphone amp for jazz listening, but a good SS amp sounds good as well.

Sep 20, 2008 at 12:00 PM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by andychen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
AKG K701 based on my experience

L3000.gif
+1

In any headphone, but especially jazz and classical, one should be looking for the most neutral headphone available. Why, to hear exactly what the musicians are trying to say. Any coloration changes the message. Thus to my ears there is only one choice - the AKG K701s. They get out of the way of the music - letting it shine through exactly as the recording engineer got it down.

By the way, I'm a big jazz fan too, so our musical tastes are similar enough for me to make this suggestion.

Sep 20, 2008 at 7:09 PM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by MONVMENTVM /img/forum/go_quote.gif
RS-1 for Intimacy, sweet midrange

Yes yes yes. My main thing is the blues but I do listen to jazz from time to time and with small ensembles playing acoustic jazz Grado RS-1 is pure magic. Small scale bands sound the best that way. Cy Touff & Sandy Mosse's album that was recently released by Delmark Records sounds great with RS-1, very intimate, like those guys are playing especially for you.

Sep 20, 2008 at 7:17 PM Post #14 of 18
Oh, yes - AKG K701s are the ones for Jazz.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back