Best "jack-of-all trades" closed headphone?
Apr 10, 2013 at 8:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

fuzzybaffy

100+ Head-Fier
So, I'm currently enjoying and loving the Sennheiser HD-650, but I find it's a bit inconsistent with what it's good with. Some tracks sound simply amazing with the HD-650, yet, others fall completely flat. I don't remember having this problem with any other high-end pair of headphones before (Grado RS-1, Sony MDR-CD3000). Even my cheap $10 Sony headphones don't have this problem. Yes, it sounds horrible in terms of detail compared to the aforementioned, but it's still consistent across all genres, and all songs, and I can always kind of expect what it will sound like. 

With the HD-650... some moments I'm simply amazed, yet at other times, I'm left asking "what... ?" It's just slightly annoying. 

And, I realize I really, really like what a closed headphone does to bass (with my experience with the Sony MDR-CD3000), so... is there a closed headphone that's a good "jack-of-all-trades" headphone out there? Something that works well with most popular genres? Things including pop, rock, electronic, and hip-hop? 

My budget is around $300 to $500. 

Some of the headphones I'm considering are:

Beyerdynamic T70p 
AKG K550
Shure SRH940
V-Moda Crossfade M-10
Audio Technica ATH-ESW9A

If there is a headphone that sounds somewhat close to the Sony MDR-CD3000, but less bright (I sold the CD3000 because it was too bright), I would definitely pick those up. Any help would be appreciated! 

Apr 10, 2013 at 9:06 PM Post #2 of 3
So, I'm currently enjoying and loving the Sennheiser HD-650, but I find it's a bit inconsistent with what it's good with. Some tracks sound simply amazing with the HD-650, yet, others fall completely flat. I don't remember having this problem with any other high-end pair of headphones before (Grado RS-1, Sony MDR-CD3000). Even my cheap $10 Sony headphones don't have this problem. Yes, it sounds horrible in terms of detail compared to the aforementioned, but it's still consistent across all genres, and all songs, and I can always kind of expect what it will sound like. 

With the HD-650... some moments I'm simply amazed, yet at other times, I'm left asking "what... ?" It's just slightly annoying. 

And, I realize I really, really like what a closed headphone does to bass (with my experience with the Sony MDR-CD3000), so... is there a closed headphone that's a good "jack-of-all-trades" headphone out there? Something that works well with most popular genres? Things including pop, rock, electronic, and hip-hop? 

My budget is around $300 to $500. 

Some of the headphones I'm considering are:

Beyerdynamic T70p 
AKG K550
Shure SRH940
V-Moda Crossfade M-10
Audio Technica ATH-ESW9A

If there is a headphone that sounds somewhat close to the Sony MDR-CD3000, but less bright (I sold the CD3000 because it was too bright), I would definitely pick those up. Any help would be appreciated! 

You should re post this into the full sized headphone recommendation thread.

Other than that, you should:

Only get the srh940 for less bass
Don't recommend the 550s cause of their horrible fit

The ws99s are said to be much better than both of those. Look up the ws99 at fan thread. It's pretty active, so you can ask there.

So I recommend the ws99.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back