Best isolation?
Oct 28, 2008 at 8:13 AM Post #16 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by TacticalPenguin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And sleeks with biflanges I doubt can come close to triflange or foamed etys - my etys with the small sleek-sized biflanges has relatively poor isolation in comparison to triflanges and the foams.

Actually, according to the sleek's specifications it has the ety with tri-flanges beaten. I don't know how accurate that is, but my sleeks easily has as much isolation as the ER6i I owned a long time ago. Tips aren't the only factor that determines how much isolation a phone has. Both have very good isolation, but still loses to the Westones that are probably the only IEMs that can provide 100% isolation.

Oct 28, 2008 at 11:40 AM Post #17 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by scytheavatar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually, according to the sleek's specifications it has the ety with tri-flanges beaten. I don't know how accurate that is, but my sleeks easily has as much isolation as the ER6i I owned a long time ago. Tips aren't the only factor that determines how much isolation a phone has. Both have very good isolation, but still loses to the Westones that are probably the only IEMs that can provide 100% isolation.

So im surprised nobody here has mentioned custom earpieces in comparassion, im really trying to find out if custom ear pieces isolate more sound or atleast equal to that of a foam insert such as the comply tips on my westone um1's

Oct 28, 2008 at 11:57 AM Post #18 of 28
Isolation usually isn't custom strongest point. Most are rated around -26dB, which is adequate but certainly not the best.

Oct 28, 2008 at 12:19 PM Post #19 of 28
Quote:

westones provide 100% isolation? to my knowledge there is no IEM that can isolate 100%. of course, i could be wrong.

Oct 28, 2008 at 1:53 PM Post #20 of 28
I have tried the UM1, SA6, various UEs. The only one that made me go "wow" was Ety's triflange, however it can only fit one of my ears reliably and repeatably.
biggrin.gif

You'd see that people here have varying opinions on which isolate best, IMO it has to do with the fact that everyone's ear canals are differently shaped, to a significant extend, isolation would be best with the ones that fits best.

Oct 28, 2008 at 2:01 PM Post #21 of 28
Quote:

Typical attenuation is measured in dB, there is no such thing as "100% isolation" for IEMs. The only way to have 100% isolation is to put yourself in a vacuum bubble.
biggrin.gif

Oct 28, 2008 at 10:37 PM Post #22 of 28
Quote:

Put up a poll so people who have or have tried both can vote and my bet says etymotics will win.....

And 100% isolation is a total lie, there is no such thing unless you are in a vacuum. If you're in a vacuum, you can't hear the headphones.

Also, it probably largely depends on your ear. If your ear is perfectly shaped for ety triflanges, they will no doubt isolate more. Vice versa for SA biflanges. However, for me, ety's new tip kills everything. When I used the UM1 there was no question the ety beats it.

Oct 29, 2008 at 2:02 AM Post #23 of 28
Never tried the sleeks or westones but i used to have etymotics er-6i with foam. I sometimes put them in my ears when I was studying without any music on. I think that should tell you how good they were. I've tried UE super.fi 5's 3's, Denon k751 with Sony tips, v-modas, nothing has come close.

Oct 29, 2008 at 2:21 AM Post #24 of 28
I feel that custom IEM isolate very very well. I can't hear anything while using my T1. I would gave it a 9.5/10 rating. Nothing is perfect in this world as what I feel anyway. I feel that softer material act as a critical seal for isolation.

Of course, impression done is very important.

May 6, 2011 at 7:55 PM Post #25 of 28
the summer is arriving and i am sleeping almost directly over a bar/pub thats open until late.
so i am looking for something with also best isolation (what seems to be the re4p like i read in all the threads regarding isolation),
but the problem seems to be the design, which seems to be very long, so i think that wouldnt be comfortable to fall asleep with, lying on one ear, would it?

so is there something similar to the etymotics, but with a design more comfortable to fall asleep with?
or since the thread is quiet old, some etymotics with same isolation, but a more modern design?

May 6, 2011 at 8:18 PM Post #26 of 28
Have  a look at the new Shure SE series (215, 315,425,535).  I can't comment on the Etys - but I do a lot of long distance traveling - and the Shures (I have the SE425's) isolate extremely well and are very comfortable.  They fit flush with the ear, and I have no problem sleeping with them.

For a bit more detail (pics etc):

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/550673/review-shure-se315-vs-se425-differences-with-old-se420-shure-s-mid-tier-iem-s

Hopefully it gives you another option anyway.

May 6, 2011 at 8:19 PM Post #27 of 28
You probably should have started a new thread instead of resurrecting a 3 year old one.  In my experience, only deep insertion IEMs provide really good isolation and all of those I've owned are not good for lying on one ear.  The only IEMs I've owned that are really good for lying down with are the Westone, but they don't isolate all that well, mainly because I just barely get a seal.  Depending on the shape of your ear, if you can use triflange tips with the Westones, that might give you enough isolation.  Otherwise, I'd suggest a white noise machine and/or ear plugs.

May 7, 2011 at 9:45 PM Post #28 of 28

Quote:
the summer is arriving and i am sleeping almost directly over a bar/pub thats open until late.
so i am looking for something with also best isolation (what seems to be the re4p like i read in all the threads regarding isolation),
but the problem seems to be the design, which seems to be very long, so i think that wouldnt be comfortable to fall asleep with, lying on one ear, would it?

so is there something similar to the etymotics, but with a design more comfortable to fall asleep with?
or since the thread is quiet old, some etymotics with same isolation, but a more modern design?

I've heard that the Shure 215's have very nice isolation, and they also fit inside your ear and don't stick out, so you can probably sleep comfortably on those, you might want to check it out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back