Best isolation full size cans?
Sep 8, 2009 at 2:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

FraGGleR

Headphoneus Supremus
Hello,

My father spends a lot of time in a lab with a ridiculously loud exhaust fan and needs new headphones. I am looking for the headphones with the best isolation (prefer non-active cancelling) for $100 or less (new or used). IEM's are out because he doesn't like things in his ears.

He is coming from some Sony MDR-V600's so he isn't in need of the best sounding headphones, just something that will sound good and block out as much outside noise as possible. He listens exclusively to classical music.

From poking around, the Sennheiser HD280's look promising, but I hope that you all can come up with some more suggestions. Active cancellation will be considered if necessary, but it would be nice if he could use these comfortably in his office (normal ambient sound) as well.

Thanks!

Sep 8, 2009 at 3:10 PM Post #2 of 13
I have yet to hear a better noise isolating phone (especially under $100) than the HD280.

The problem with the HD280 might be comfort. Another option might be the ATH-M50, not as good noise isolation but better comfort.

Sep 8, 2009 at 8:53 PM Post #4 of 13
Yeah, I would say that under $100 there no better options than HD280 if isolation is important.
The comfort issue I think is somewhat exaggerated - I didn't have any problems with that. OTOH if he's going to be using them all the time at work he should try them first - some people are very sensitive to their clamping force. And yes, I would say it is the reason why they isolate so well.

Sep 8, 2009 at 8:55 PM Post #5 of 13
For that price and for something without active noise canceling, it would have to be the HD 280. They almost managed to block the sound of all the kids on guitars at guitar center when I auditioned them once, even with the music off. That's serious isolation IMO.

Sep 8, 2009 at 8:58 PM Post #6 of 13
Under $100 the M-50 are okay, the second option will be the Ultrasone HFI-550. For more money you can get the GMP 8.35 D Monitor.
icon10.gif

Sep 8, 2009 at 9:32 PM Post #7 of 13
The HD280 provide excellent isolation. I used them at QuakeCon with pretty good results. The M-50's are "ok" in this regard. I find the Beyer DT770/80 Pro to be better at filtering out the world than the M-50's, however the HD280 is the best at isolation that i've heard.

As has already been stated, the comfort of the HD280 leaves something to be desired. They hurt my head after 20 or so minutes. They clamp pretty tightly and I have a medium to medium-large sized head.

Sep 8, 2009 at 10:01 PM Post #8 of 13
If you want the best isolating headphones for under $100, FWIR, I suggest considering the EX29 Isolation Headphones.

I owned the HD280, and FWIR it isolates better than any other headphones commonly discussed on Head-Fi for under $100, and that excludes the EX29. However, the HD280 clamps hard and likely would be uncomfortable for anyone with an average width or wider head.

Sep 8, 2009 at 10:02 PM Post #9 of 13
It wasn't the side clamping that bothered me most about the HD280's, but rather the downward pressure of the headband/padding on the top of my head that made them unliveable.

Sep 8, 2009 at 10:25 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It wasn't the side clamping that bothered me most about the HD280's, but rather the downward pressure of the headband/padding on the top of my head that made them unliveable.

lol, the 280 are the inquisitions hps...
k701smile.gif

Sep 9, 2009 at 2:28 PM Post #12 of 13
Wow, thanks guys. I didn't expect to get so many replies.

It seems like the HD280 are a good place to start (I have seen them for around $70). Don't know how sensitive my father is to headphone comfort as he normally never complains about anything. If those don't work for him, I will try some of the other recommendations.

I definitely like the look of the Beyer 770s and they have been recommended before for comfort. If I can't get my Shure SRH840's delivered sometime this month, I may go the Beyer route for myself.

Thanks guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back