BEST ISOLATING - UNDER 200$ - FOR COMMUTE ???
Aug 5, 2010 at 12:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

wpautz

New Head-Fier

A new thread because I gave up on the idea of active noise cancelation. No Bose for me.

I figure I have done about 10 hours of research so far.

I am seeking serious soud isolation, at all frequencies. I know there are many brands and models out there that do active noise cancelation. In fact I'd love to know which of those is best for isolation when turned off.

The skytrain in Vancouver is very loud, so are our buses. and it's not just low rumble below 200 hertz. I'm going nuts here. I now have a 1 hour commute, each way.

I am not an audiophile. My priorities are comfort, durability, price and lots of isolation.  But of course, I do love music, of all kinds, from Bach to Slayer.

I'd rather not carry a portable amp, I'm not interested in IEMs.

So far the list is:

1. BeyerDynamic DT770 /80                      (199$ Canadian at Long&McQuade)  (everything is more expensive here in Canada)
2. Senheiser HD280                                   (119$ at Tom Lee Music)
3. Audio Technica ATH-M50                       (190$ at Long$McQuade)
4. Direct Sound EX-29 Extreme Isolation   (129$ at Tom Lee Music)

Which of those, or others, would you recommend?

Thanks tons guys.

Aug 5, 2010 at 1:04 AM Post #2 of 7
If isolation is the key, the direct sound ex-29 looks best in number.
29db reduction is equal to some quality earmuffs.
For this kind of effectiveness, it will fits quite tight.
But I'll say one hour commute should be tolerable given that you should have AC in your commute.

I used earmuffs with same 29db noise reduction and earbud (AKG 314p) as my air travel solution before I got Bose QC15.
It is a good solution for flight less than 4hrs.

Aug 5, 2010 at 2:01 AM Post #4 of 7
Aug 5, 2010 at 5:35 AM Post #6 of 7
Consider Senn HD 25-II's, they are excellent portables with superior isolation. Although i think IEMs might be the better choice here as they offer even better isolation.

Aug 7, 2010 at 11:43 AM Post #7 of 7
Well I bought the Audio Technicas.

I tested them yesterday. They sound amazing. Of course I can still hear some train sounds coming through, but the commute is a lot more tolerable.

Sure they were 200$. But even if I end up getting IEMs some day, having those ATs around can prove usefull, for the computer, maybe some day I'll finally get an electronic piano.

My tinnitus is back though. I've had it since 2005. I did Tinnitus Retraining Therapy. It helped a lot lot. The sound and my stress level concerning it have been good and stable since then.
 And all of a sudden, last tuesday morning it got much louder.

I worked a bit with power tools that Monday. So I don't know what it is, the loud tools and/or all this research and talking about, and pondering silence and isolation and stuff.

So anyways, I'm gonna throw the box away, not consider returning them, and put this whole shopping experience behind me. And go see St-Paul's hospital about meeting my audiologist.

Don't listen too loud guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back