Best iPod Headphone--Price No Object
Dec 2, 2008 at 2:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 39

UltraBird

Head-Fier
My question is this:
With unlimited funds and an iPod or comparable DAP as the only source, what is the very best full-size headphone that can be powered at normal listening volumes?

I realize that no high-end can will reach its full sonic potential from the iPod's puny amp, so the only consideration in that regard is volume output. I'm not talking ear blistering SPL, just 80-85 dB on the high side.

Dec 2, 2008 at 2:16 AM Post #2 of 39
The Grado RS-1 is pretty good right out of an iPod. That's my travel rig. I prefer the RS-1 with tubes, but the iPod is good enough for hotel rooms and decks.

Dec 2, 2008 at 2:55 AM Post #3 of 39
This may be crazy, but how is Ultrasone Edition 9, unamped? I read a great review by MaloS on how benign a load UE9s present to sources, even DAPs. It's for sure that they'll come alive with proper amping, but I'd rather do critical listening at home or in the office... and if I get great enough of a sound out of UE9s w/o portable amp, I might go for them...

Right now, I'm using Sennheiser PXC450 with iPod, unamped. The sound is surprisingly not too bad, considering. Of course, the volume has to be jacked almost all the way for the sound to flesh out, but I think I've grown used to the routine. If UE9s are much more efficient with DAPs, I'd go for them, most likely.

Dec 2, 2008 at 5:13 AM Post #4 of 39
I use my Zune with Senn's hd-595 no amp. Plenty of volume, good for all kinds of music and great sq. The only downside I see is that they're open, so if you want to use them with people around you, think twice.

Dec 2, 2008 at 6:35 AM Post #7 of 39
Edition 9 sounds great, even out of an ipod
biggrin.gif
if it wasnt so flashy and easy to notice I would use it as an outdoor headphone as well.

Dec 2, 2008 at 8:14 AM Post #8 of 39
From posts here and browing around, it seems like the GS1000 or the E9 (or E8 if you want to go there =P) are the best so far. Surely there have got to be some other low impedance, high sensitivity cans out there that can swing with these guys?

Dec 2, 2008 at 10:20 AM Post #9 of 39
i was about to say go custom... UE11pro...

but i'll have to go with grados here, even though i don't like em as much

Dec 2, 2008 at 12:49 PM Post #10 of 39
i would also recommend the senn hd595
they are just supreb headphones...sounds amazing without an amp strait from the ipod or any other good player.(ofcourse that an amp would make them better..but no so much difference from my experience)

the hd595 was my first pair,and i bought them because i wanted to listen strait from my mp3 player without an amp(i bought the ultra micro after that)
and theyre just great!

Dec 2, 2008 at 1:09 PM Post #11 of 39
I can't compare the RS-1s with the Ultrasone ED9's, however I can confirm that the RS-1 sounds very good unamped out of an ipod in comparison to other headphones which require more power.

Dec 2, 2008 at 4:06 PM Post #12 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by smashing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The "best" headphones are essentially those that are still not available in the market yet. I vote for Ultrasone Edition 8 http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/ult...on-8-a-381695/

I would like to point out that that set of Ed 8s in the link is hung on a banana hanger. I have the exact one as a headphone stand in my room. Pretty comical that ultrasone wouldn't use some sort of real stand for their press conference/release of the phone.

Dec 2, 2008 at 4:43 PM Post #13 of 39
If it were me buying a product under such prerequisites, I'd probably go with the ACS T1 IEM or the Qualia 010.

Dec 2, 2008 at 8:38 PM Post #15 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If it were me buying a product under such prerequisites, I'd probably go with the ACS T1 IEM or the Qualia 010.

Would the 010 indeed work from an iPod jack? If so that's a real serious contender!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back