Best iPod Earphone for Classical Listeners?
Jun 24, 2008 at 3:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

wildspin

New Head-Fier
Hi, folks, I'm a heavy classical listener and most of the tracks in my library are piano recitals.

I currently have the B&O A8 and the Westone UM2 for my iPod, while the A8's sound is crisp, it leaves a lot to be desired in the richness of the piano's tonality. The UM2 is simply NOT good, the bass is too strong and there's nothing I can do with the limited preset EQ on the iPod, everything is turned into mush with the UM2. I've also tried the Shure SE310 and SE420 and to be honest I'm not impressed either.

What do you think of the SCL4, SCL5 and the SE530, are they anything better? is there anything ELSE you would recommend?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Simon

Jun 24, 2008 at 3:11 AM Post #2 of 11
I listen to classical on my iAudio7 with SE530's and I think they are terrific. Grieg piano sonatas are great -- do lossless.

Here's really why I am writing -- most stores will let you AUDITION the SE530's. The airport electronic shops will for sure.

Jun 24, 2008 at 7:25 AM Post #3 of 11
I like the SE530 for classical, especially orchestral, but they might be a bit overpowering for solo piano. Try the Etymotic ER4P, especially with the apuresound replacement cable. Very detailed, great tonal depth, with quick and tight bass.

Jun 24, 2008 at 12:48 PM Post #5 of 11
Thanks a lot for the quick responses, folks. There's a lot of retailers carrying the Shure earphones in Toronto but I've never seen one having the SE530 ... there might be one who has the set on display for audition but I'll have to double check.

Also, to "Ross" - can you "hear" the differences from using the apuresound replacement cable?

Jun 24, 2008 at 9:28 PM Post #6 of 11
Hmmm, it is of my personal opinion that the UE TF10p is better suited to your musical tastes. Give them a spin if you have the chance!

Jun 24, 2008 at 10:04 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by wildspin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, to "Ross" - can you "hear" the differences from using the apuresound replacement cable?

Probably not but the APureSound cable is a LOT better practically than the horrible, horrible stock ER-4P cord. Lighter, more flexible, less microphonic, doesn't have that huge barrel-break holding the resistors (those are on the HP plug instead).

If they weren't so expensive I'd buy one to replace my stock cable, too. As soon as I find some good strong, thin and flexible wire I'm going to DIY a replacement cable myself.

Jun 24, 2008 at 10:08 PM Post #8 of 11
SE530 lacks high range that's critical for classical pieces and the bass can be overpowering at times. It sounds rather muddy and fizzy when listening to orchestral works.

IMO, Classical genre sounds the best when listened on a open phones like PK1 but it doesn't isolate outside noises at all so you'd have to listen in a quiet environment. Otherwise, I've heard many positive feedbacks on ER-4P/S and Triple fi. They're supposedly more balanced and neutral when compared to SE530 which may fit the bills better.

Jun 25, 2008 at 1:41 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by wildspin /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yes. The difference is clearly audible. The apuresound cable is more three dimensional, and slightly warmer. It reduces the slightly bright tendency of the stock ER4s. I ordered mine in a 4 ft length, which I also find more manageable than the 5ft length of the stock cable. I liked the ER4P cable so much that I have ordered a second ER4S cable in a 4m length to use with my home amps.

On the original topic, I suspect given your comment about bass, the SE530 might not suit your tastes. The ER4P has accurate but very tight bass, not overblown at all, and I think might suit you better. I've also heard good things about the triple-fi 10 pro but have not yet heard it for myself (which should be remedied in a week or two).

Jun 25, 2008 at 1:44 AM Post #10 of 11
while i listen to classical only about 10% of the time, with electronica, trip-hop, rock and indie taking up the majority of my time, i specifically was looking for IEM's that could not only handle my more fun music-listening tastes, but that would do classical justice as well.

consensus on these boards were that the triple.fi's were at the top of that list, so i bought them. very happy with them and classical so far.

Jun 25, 2008 at 3:04 AM Post #11 of 11
Thanks again for the pointers, folks. So it comes down to the ER4P and Triple.fi but it's a shame that none of the audiophile shops in Toronto carry all these products ... not to mention to have them on display for audition. I'll mail order both from the States.

To "Ross" ... thanks a lot for the mentioning about the apuresound cable, I'll try if I like the native sound of the ER4P first and see if I want to add some colors to its tonality.

Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back