Best In-Ears for $70-$100
May 23, 2012 at 4:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Raeksis

New Head-Fier
Well I've been using Klipsch Image S4i's for a year and a half but they just broke so I'm looking into a new pair of earbuds. The Klipsch were good; they were very comfortable, had good sound isolation, and the sound was pretty good (but I've never owned any other pair of earbuds over $50 so I can't compare). However I found the build quality to be terrible and they broke because the crappy cable got frayed or something.

I listen mainly to hip hop/rap like Wu-Tang Clan, 2Pac, Nas etc. so I probably want a pair with good bass but also distinct mids so the bass doesn't overpower the vocals.

I live in Australia so take note of that as some discounts and shipping etc. aren't available to me. 

Can anyone recommend a good pair? I read about the Shure SE215, are they what I'm looking for? Or what about the Bose IE2?

May 23, 2012 at 1:16 PM Post #2 of 14
My favorite is the Brainwavz M2 that typically cost $75 new.  Pick up a pair of Comply T-400 foam tips for added isolation and comfort and you will have yourself a really good sounding and inexpensive IEM.

Good bass
Excellent mid range
Good highs with some slight roll off
Great seal
Removable driver covers so you can clean out the earwax
Built well
If you exercise with them you will need a shirt cable clip as the cable is a tad microphonic

They remain my favorite IEM for the price.

May 23, 2012 at 4:02 PM Post #4 of 14
Quote:
Well I've been using Klipsch Image S4i's for a year and a half but they just broke so I'm looking into a new pair of earbuds. The Klipsch were good; they were very comfortable, had good sound isolation, and the sound was pretty good (but I've never owned any other pair of earbuds over $50 so I can't compare). However I found the build quality to be terrible and they broke because the crappy cable got frayed or something.

Raeksis,

All of Klipsch's headphones come with a two-year warranty if you are interested in staying with the Image S4i headphones.

May 23, 2012 at 5:43 PM Post #5 of 14
I've heard that the Klipsch warranty does not cover cables.  That said, I have a pair of X10s that I love, and I'd recommend them if you can get a good quality used pair in your price range.

The SE215 are also very good -- they have a more bassy feel but personally, I find them to be the most comfortable and best-isolating of the various low- to mid-end IEMs I've tried.  A bonus for me is that I can sleep comfortably on a plane while wearing them -- very handy!

May 23, 2012 at 10:22 PM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Raeksis,

All of Klipsch's headphones come with a two-year warranty if you are interested in staying with the Image S4i headphones.

Well I can't find the receipt and I've also heard the warranty is VERY limited as the guy above me said.

The SE215 are also very good -- they have a more bassy feel but personally, I find them to be the most comfortable and best-isolating of the various low- to mid-end IEMs I've tried.  A bonus for me is that I can sleep comfortably on a plane while wearing them -- very handy!

Thanks. I'm leaning towards these now.

The Brainwavz M2 look alright but I'm looking for something with more sound isolation (they have 3.5 in that big thread vs 4.5 for the SE215) The build quality doesn't look as good either but I could be wrong.

May 24, 2012 at 1:52 AM Post #8 of 14
Y not try the Final Audio Adagio II or Phonak Audeo 012? 
Try Adagio II if you looking for something S4 like sounding.
If you want to switch to Shure sounding then must try Phonak Audeo 012, I found it nicer sounding than Shure 215

May 24, 2012 at 1:54 AM Post #9 of 14
Have the add the newly released ATH-CKM500 to the list. Phenomenal for under $100!

May 25, 2012 at 11:05 AM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

totally agree. very comfy and good isolation

Jul 15, 2012 at 11:39 AM Post #12 of 14
I tested S4 before Shure SE215 and Adagio II. So before that I really like the S4 but after that I'm not. I just get the Adagio II. SE215 was really good quite like it but for high, I think Adagio II is better. Phonak Audeo 012 I also tested before I decide but it really not my taste.

Jul 15, 2012 at 12:51 PM Post #13 of 14
The EPH-100 would be perfect, you can get them from Audio Affair in the UK for around $115 shipped.  I think they're well worth the extra $15 and they SQ is very good with solid bass, smooth detailed mids along with nice non fatiguing highs which also have good detail.

Checkout jokers IEM review's, out of the 245 you should find a few you'd like.

Also the Atrio MG7 is awesome for hip hop and are $109 shipped from atrio.me with discount code CostProg50%.

Aug 27, 2012 at 1:07 PM Post #14 of 14
Easily the FXD80 or FXD70 now. Also the three low-tier Audiofly products (which I will post the full review soon).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back