Best IEMs for Trip Hop - Currently using Etymotic 4p
Feb 23, 2011 at 6:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

alphaxono

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

Currently I am using the Etymotic 4ps to listening to my music with my Macbook Pro connected to a Fiio E7. I ordered a Nuforce uDac 2 because I heard the
DAC is supposed to be better than E7.

I love the clarity of my Ety's and I am a treble lover but the lack of bass for Trip Hop has me thinking of getting a second pair of IEMs.

Currently I am thinking about Super.Fi 5, Triple.Fi 10 or Monster Turbine Pro Copper for listening to more bass heavy music like Trip Hop.

I listen to a lot of Everything but the Girl with some Sia, Massive Attack, Flunk, Esthero and Blank & Jones...i definitely want the vocals to pop and be bright but
also have a hard and deep bass. Sound Isolation is not that important to me.

What would you recommend here?

Thanks to you all for this great forum.
smile.gif

Feb 23, 2011 at 2:30 PM Post #3 of 12
Maybe Turbine coppers? Heard they have a nice high and mid while keeping very solid on bass.
I am currently using Sennheiser IE8 (listening to massive attack too) and I'm impressed by the sound. The huge soundstage may be ideal for trip hop and the vocals and bass e.g on teardrop are fantastic. They have the strongest and best sounding low end.
Then again, this is coming from someone who HATES brightness in headphones, So i found the IE8 perfect.

Read around on these 2 headphones, they seem ideal for that music, as well reproducing good vocals

Feb 23, 2011 at 2:37 PM Post #4 of 12
Did you try EQ'ing the bass on your ER4? Because quality wise, ER4 bass is almost impossible to beat.

Feb 23, 2011 at 3:59 PM Post #5 of 12
I'm a big fan of trip hop and I can't imagine using the Etys for that genre, given their lack of bass quantity.  It would be good for some of the more ambient stuff, though. 

Feb 23, 2011 at 4:04 PM Post #6 of 12
^ Well, they don't lack bass - it's just not emphasized. Compared directly with my HD555, Etys are actually more suitable for bass heavy genres, because their bass is much tighter and deeper.

Feb 23, 2011 at 4:14 PM Post #7 of 12
I agree that the bass of the ety's are precise but I need to feel it too, especially when it comes to music where you are supposed to feel it.
I would never trade-in my ety's for listening to artists like Kings of Convenience or unplugged albums. The level of details still amazes me after 3 years.
For now I ordered the Sennheiser IE8 and maybe I will compare them to the triple.fi 10 because everyone keeps raving about them. Wondering if the triple.fi comes even close to the ety's,
But really looking forward to the ie8 and some teardrops.

Feb 23, 2011 at 5:10 PM Post #8 of 12
You can't feel bass with headphones, unless we are talking about head massage. If you want to feel bass, listen to speakers. This idea that you can get a physical sensation of the low frequencies from headphones is very misleading. You can get a ton of bass from headphones sure, but all that it will provide is feeling the headphones shake on your head. With headphones, you should try to appreciate accuracy and not the physical sensation of sound. Feel the music with your soul, not your body.
biggrin.gif

Feb 23, 2011 at 9:49 PM Post #9 of 12
The trip-hop that I have - mostly Portishead, and Massive Attack, work fantastic with my pair of DDM's. The DDM can do that wet, slow kind of bass beat justice, especially given the price. The ethereal, out of head quality of some of the vocals are really enhanced as well. However, I would not describe vocals as 'bright' on the DDMs - vocals have weight and authority, but not a huge degree of sparkle.

Mar 1, 2011 at 7:55 AM Post #10 of 12
Now I tried the Sennheiser ie8 and the Triple.fi 10.

The ie8 has a nice warm sound but I realized I am more of a V shape listener. Im more into detail than mids. So the triple.fi should be the one right? But I feel like I am missing something here.

With the ety's I was always amazed about something new I heard in the background and the detail was UNBELIEVABLE and I love them but they do lack the bass punch that the triple.fi and the ie8 have plus they are somewhat uncomfortable.

From what I read the DDM dont have that clarity/sparkle in the treble.

Is there anything out there that has the detail of the ety's and the bass punch of the triple.fi's?

Mar 1, 2011 at 8:17 AM Post #11 of 12

Quote:
Now I tried the Sennheiser ie8 and the Triple.fi 10.

The ie8 has a nice warm sound but I realized I am more of a V shape listener. Im more into detail than mids. So the triple.fi should be the one right? But I feel like I am missing something here.

With the ety's I was always amazed about something new I heard in the background and the detail was UNBELIEVABLE and I love them but they do lack the bass punch that the triple.fi and the ie8 have plus they are somewhat uncomfortable.

From what I read the DDM dont have that clarity/sparkle in the treble.

Is there anything out there that has the detail of the ety's and the bass punch of the triple.fi's?

I'd imagine something like the Westone 3? If I remember correctly, it actually has the armature driver of the Ety, plus bass drivers.

Mar 1, 2011 at 11:25 AM Post #12 of 12
I do own Ety ER4 too, they're really great especially with bass-boost on the FiiO E7 :)
(your setup is surprisingly identical to me lol)
and btw, imo, i dont think uDACs are that great, they boost up some treble that can misunderstand as they're boosting in details.
ER4 already have lots of trebles that i wouldn't recommend to boost them more.

and i recently brought Westone 4, they're REALLY great
they're perfect all-rounder, you will have enough bass for your trip-hop on these while you wont be missing in detail, speed, mids & highs
soundstage and imaging is also really nice, they're comfortable but with mods they're even better

Users who are viewing this thread

Back