Best IEMs for relaxing?
Mar 17, 2007 at 2:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

dty

100+ Head-Fier
Hey everyone..Im looking for a pair of IEMs for my ipod that are comfy enough that I can use for falling asleep/relaxing if I need to on long trips or just at home. I dont want IEMs that stick out of the ears too far that may cause discomfort if I lay my head on them.. I also don't want them to be fatiguing
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 17, 2007 at 4:06 AM Post #3 of 18
If you can spend $70 up to $200, may I suggest some UM1/UM2s?
rolleyes.gif

Low profile, noise-free cord, extremely comfortable, slightly rolled off highs (no fatigue issue with UM1/2s ever reported here), pronounced (UM2: heavy) bass, and smooth (UM2: very smooth) and thick midrange.

Mar 17, 2007 at 5:15 AM Post #4 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by dty /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey everyone..Im looking for a pair of IEMs for my ipod that are comfy enough that I can use for falling asleep/relaxing if I need to on long trips or just at home. I dont want IEMs that stick out of the ears too far that may cause discomfort if I lay my head on them.. I also don't want them to be fatiguing
smily_headphones1.gif

I would recommend the CX300s. I haven't heard the EP630s. The CX300s are great for falling asleep because of their shape. The back is a shallow, half-hemisphere, that barely protrudes out of your ear when you're wearing them. It's possible to sleep on your side, with your ear against the pillow, because of this, which is nice. You can't really do that with IEMs that stick out more or are a non-smooth shape, like Etymotic 4Ps. I fall asleep quite a bit with my CX300s. They're also not fatiguing. The only real drawbacks are that there is less isolation than many other IEMs, which could be an issue on loud plane flights, and that the highs aren't very extended (this is part of what makes them non-fatiguing). But they're inexpensive and enjoyable and easy to sleep while wearing.

Mar 17, 2007 at 5:45 AM Post #5 of 18
Ive heard the shure e4c and those sound pretty good, and they dont stick out of your ears. If you like accurate, neutral sounding headphones, get the e4c, but if you want headphones with a slightly darker sound to them, westone's um2, or even the westone 3 when it comes out are good choices aswell. There is also shure's E500PTH and SE530 out there too.

Mar 17, 2007 at 6:32 AM Post #6 of 18
I second Westone UM1/UM2, I use them for sleeping from time to time and I have no issues with discomfort. Takes about 15 seconds for me to put on, and after that, everything feels comfortable.

Mar 17, 2007 at 6:50 AM Post #7 of 18
+3 on UM2, very comfortable, excellent sound, somewhat laid back sennheiser-like representation.

Mar 17, 2007 at 9:28 AM Post #9 of 18
+1 for the Westone UM2. Comfortable and great sounding IEM..

Mar 17, 2007 at 12:31 PM Post #10 of 18
UM1's here. Very comfy. Longest session so far was about six hours where I dosed in and out of sleep. I forgot they were there. I was just wrapped in the music.

I've lusting after the UM2's though.

Mar 17, 2007 at 12:41 PM Post #11 of 18
Add another vote for the UM2. With bi-flanges modded from the IM716 tri-flanges, it takes me all of 3 seconds to put both in. Most comfortable IEM I have ever used (though I haven't tried all that many).

Mar 17, 2007 at 3:20 PM Post #14 of 18
My ears always get itchy after an hour or 2 with IEM's

Users who are viewing this thread

Back