Best IEMs for "naked" iTouch/iPhone
Jun 13, 2012 at 1:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

qoouep

Head-Fier
So I'm looking to get a good set of IEMs for going directly out of my iTouch (possibly soon to be iPhone). Right now I have the ADDIEMs, but I'm looking for something with a little better sound. My home system is Bifrost -> Asgard -> HD600 and I'd like something that sounded similar (but lower fidelity, of course).

My budget is probably $100-$200, but feel free to try to convince me higher. But again, I'm not going to amp this or use an extra DAC, so there is a limitation on where I should be going.

Like about the HD600:
  1. Resolution
  2. Balanced sound with present but clear bass
  3. Not too bright
  4. Nice mids
  5. Soundstage
  6. Speed (it can make quick beats fairly discrete, though I know it's not the best at this)

Dislike about the HD600:
  1. ???
  2. Maybe a little more PRAT

Music (rough order of listening frequency)
  1. Indie rock
  2. Psychedelic
  3. Electronic (mostly breakcore, with very fast, split beats)
  4. Art music (baroque through modern)

I'll say isolation is important, but isolation can work out differently for every person, so I'm not going to put it at the top of my list. I'd like something fairly durable. Discreet aesthetics are nice.

Thanks

Edit: added information tdshain requested below

Jun 13, 2012 at 6:38 PM Post #4 of 15
I am currently listening to my Etymotic ER-4Ps with both my iPod & iPhone...

Very satisfied!!!

Jim

Jun 13, 2012 at 6:38 PM Post #5 of 15
I am currently listening to my Etymotic ER-4Ps with both my iPod & iPhone...

Very satisfied!!!

Jim

Jun 13, 2012 at 7:40 PM Post #6 of 15
If you're using the ER4S/P out on the go, microphonics might be an issue for you. They are for me... even the wind blowing on the cable transmits noise, which I find really annoying. My ER4S are probably an older verion (red and blue), so I'm not sure if there has been any change to the cable since then..

Jun 13, 2012 at 8:15 PM Post #7 of 15
Quote:
Like about the HD600:
  1. Resolution
  2. Balanced sound with present but clear bass
  3. Not too bright
  4. Nice mids
  5. Soundstage
  6. Speed (it can make quick beats fairly discrete, though I know it's not the best at this)

Dislike about the HD600:
  1. ???
  2. Maybe a little more PRAT

Music (rough order of listening frequency)
  1. Indie rock
  2. Psychedelic
  3. Electronic (mostly breakcore, with very fast, split beats)
  4. Art music (baroque through modern)

I'll say isolation is important, but isolation can work out differently for every person, so I'm not going to put it at the top of my list. I'd like something fairly durable. Discreet aesthetics are nice.

You should look into Aurisonics ASG-1.2. It might be a little too dark for your taste (treble is tuned down for stage performers), but that's nothing a little eq won't fix.

Aurisonics customer service is second to none and you can get a pair from springtree media for $200 with free shipping.

Check out the thread and post/pm if you have anymore questions.

Jun 13, 2012 at 8:18 PM Post #8 of 15
Quote:
If you're using the ER4S/P out on the go, microphonics might be an issue for you. They are for me... even the wind blowing on the cable transmits noise, which I find really annoying. My ER4S are probably an older verion (red and blue), so I'm not sure if there has been any change to the cable since then..

It depends on whether the cable is a two wire twist from the pod to the transducer. Two wire twisted is the newest. Very low microphonics.

I always thought microphonics was greatest with better isolation IEMs. Anyway, I just crank the volume.

Jim

Jun 13, 2012 at 8:20 PM Post #9 of 15
Quote:
Quote:

It depends on whether the cable is a two wire twist from the pod to the transducer. Two wire twisted is the newest. Very low microphonics.

I always thought microphonics was greatest with better isolation IEMs. Anyway, I just crank the volume.

Jim

Hmm. Mine is the version with the plastic shielding over the cable. Perhaps the braided design has less. Either way, it's probably not good to crank the music to overcome microphonics. I'd imagine that's a really quick way of going deaf. :frowning2:

Jun 13, 2012 at 8:26 PM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Hmm. Mine is the version with the plastic shielding over the cable. Perhaps the braided design has less. Either way, it's probably not good to crank the music to overcome microphonics. I'd imagine that's a really quick way of going deaf. :frowning2:

I got both old and new...

A 50 dollar cable upgrade/repair from Etymotic is well worth it.

The new cables are much more supple than the older ones.

Cheers, Jim

Jun 13, 2012 at 8:47 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:
Quote:

I got both old and new...

A 50 dollar cable upgrade/repair from Etymotic is well worth it.

The new cables are much more supple than the older ones.

Cheers, Jim

Ooo. I'll definitely look into that!

Sorry for the threadjack, OP. :frowning2:

Jun 19, 2012 at 2:48 PM Post #13 of 15
Thanks everyone for the replies! I'm most interested in the Etymotic Research ER-4PT and the Aurisonics ASG-1.2. Does anyone have experience with both of these who can comment on the quality of the two of them? There's a price differential of about $80. 

Also, can someone comment on how much treble roll-off the Aurisonics ASG-1.2 really has? How does it compare to the "Sennheiser veil"? I am fine with the HD600 treble, but wouldn't want it turned down much more. I don't want to have to EQ.

Jun 19, 2012 at 3:45 PM Post #14 of 15
Quote:
Thanks everyone for the replies! I'm most interested in the Etymotic Research ER-4PT and the Aurisonics ASG-1.2. Does anyone have experience with both of these who can comment on the quality of the two of them? There's a price differential of about $80. 

Also, can someone comment on how much treble roll-off the Aurisonics ASG-1.2 really has? How does it compare to the "Sennheiser veil"? I am fine with the HD600 treble, but wouldn't want it turned down much more. I don't want to have to EQ.

I really can't quantify it, but it is extremely substantial.  It's not the problem with the veil of the bass or midrange, it's literally the treble is pushed into recession. 

Jun 19, 2012 at 3:52 PM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

I really can't quantify it, but it is extremely substantial.  It's not the problem with the veil of the bass or midrange, it's literally the treble is pushed into recession. 

That worries me. It looks like the Etymotic Research ER-4PT (with the new cable) is my best option. Anyone else have other suggestions?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back