Best IEMs for $200?
Jun 30, 2008 at 6:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

schneller

1000+ Head-Fier
Now taking candidates for "Best $200 IEM".

What are you candidates?

To add some details...
Offer enough isolation to drown out most ambient noises, including subway train noises (think urban commute).
Offer solid sound: natural with strong mids and both good highs and lows (bass heads need not apply).
Able to perform without an amp.

I am looking to upgrade from the ATH-CK7. I suppose my leading candidates are the UE Super.fi 5 Pros but I wonder if it has enough bass. I also fear the "EB" version to have too much bass.

Jun 30, 2008 at 8:11 PM Post #3 of 26
Futuresonic Atrio M5. Why? Just look for the LONG thread in this section of the forums.

Jul 1, 2008 at 3:58 AM Post #4 of 26
I guess the Shure E4C would be in there too?

Jul 1, 2008 at 4:04 AM Post #5 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by robojack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Futuresonic Atrio M5. Why? Just look for the LONG thread in this section of the forums.

+1

Quote:

Originally Posted by schneller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I guess the Shure E4C would be in there too?

To me all the Shure's were way too flat & analytical...or even hollow sounding (no bass at all)

Jul 1, 2008 at 12:10 PM Post #6 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by robojack /img/forum/go_quote.gif

What if you're not a bass head?

Jul 1, 2008 at 1:16 PM Post #7 of 26
Don't really need to be one. Low bass tone is different from the bloated mid-bass you find in most cheap IEMs. It's about quality, not the quantity.

It also depends on what source you'll be pairing it up with. Some DAPs are cold and analytical, and a dark and warm sounding IEM will balance it out (and vice versa).

Jul 1, 2008 at 10:56 PM Post #8 of 26
SA6

Soundearphones with coupon code SA6 are running 199 shipped right now.

Jul 1, 2008 at 11:20 PM Post #9 of 26
Etys ER4s can be found for <$200.

Jul 2, 2008 at 1:48 AM Post #10 of 26
I can speak for the Futuresonic Atrio m5/m8 and say that they are amazinggg headphones for the price..

Jul 2, 2008 at 12:10 PM Post #11 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Failed Engineer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
SA6

Soundearphones with coupon code SA6 are running 199 shipped right now.

X2 in a landslide, in my opinion. The SA6 price drop makes them the best under $200, easily. I've owned both the ER4P/S and the Atrio, and the Sleeks are more balanced, better peforming and more flexible (with the VQ system) from a SQ angle. Also, while it will add cost, the SA6s are going to offer a wireless option in the near future. I've heard on the grapevine the sound is fantastic, and I for one would love to dump the cable.

Jul 2, 2008 at 10:57 PM Post #12 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by schneller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now taking candidates for "Best $200 IEM".

What are you candidates?

To add some details...
Offer enough isolation to drown out most ambient noises, including subway train noises (think urban commute).
Offer solid sound: natural with strong mids and both good highs and lows (bass heads need not apply).
Able to perform without an amp.

I am looking to upgrade from the ATH-CK7. I suppose my leading candidates are the UE Super.fi 5 Pros but I wonder if it has enough bass. I also fear the "EB" version to have too much bass.

Ety ER-4Ps are probably the best IEM up to $200. Their bass is clear and proportional, but it's not visceral, so don't expect a disco or anything and the sound of these will impress you. They do everything on your list and more. Good luck.

Jul 2, 2008 at 11:12 PM Post #13 of 26
There's isn't really a BEST under $200 price range. After all, a lot of these iems have different flavors. Some might like one, and others might like another.

Jul 3, 2008 at 1:50 AM Post #14 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elluzion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can speak for the Futuresonic Atrio m5/m8 and say that they are amazinggg headphones for the price..

Everyone talks about their bass. What about mids? Highs?

Jul 3, 2008 at 2:02 AM Post #15 of 26
So, in terms of isolation, robustness, quality, and ability to reproduce a wide range of sound (with an emphasis on female vocal trance perhaps), which would you pick?

Future Sonics m5/m8 for $179.00
UE Super.Fi 5 Pros for $190.00
Klipsch Custom-2 for $200.00
SleekAudio SA6 for $200 (reduced)
Jays Q-Jays for $219.00

Users who are viewing this thread

Back