Best IEM w/ Mic (Under $100): NE7m vs. iP-HS5 vs. MEElec M11P vs. S4i
Mar 12, 2010 at 8:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

pearlgirl

New Head-Fier
After a lot of research, there seems to be a consensus that these four are the top options for an IEM with a built in microphone for use with MP3/Mobile Phones (iPhone, Blackberry, etc.), for under $100. There have been reviews of each, and some have been compared to each other. I haven't seen a posting that compares all four to each other.

-Nuforce NE7m
-Maximo iP-HS5
-MEElectronics M11P
-Klipsch S4i

Which one do you think is best and why?

Mar 12, 2010 at 10:01 PM Post #3 of 36
It really depends on what is more important too you. The M11P are built very well, comfortable, non-microphonic, and isolate quite a lot with the dual-flange tips. But they are surpassed by the others in sound quality.

The HS5 sounds best to me out of the four. Very balanced and crisp, good clarity, good separation, decent imaginig. The drawbacks with the Maximos are microphonics and isolation. Neither is horrible, but they are bested by the others on both counts.

The sound of the Nuforces is quite colored. I'm not a huge fan though I admit that they are very good at what they do. I've had build problems with NE-7Ms in the past but they isolate well and are comfy. Nuforce's customer service is second only to Meelec'
s in my experience.

The Klipsch are the odd one out for me. They are the most expensive and expectedly do a couple of things better than the rest, but really don't justify the twofold price hike in my book. I prefer the sound of the HS5 anyway. Isolation is in the middle of the group. Comfort and microphonics are close to the top, if not the best. Cabling is a bit thin for my liking.

The non-microphone versions of all four are summed up in my thread.

Mar 13, 2010 at 3:20 AM Post #4 of 36
One other one to throw into the mix is the Ultimate Ears Metro 220/170 vi's. Thoughts on those and how they stack up to the others on this list?

I think for what I am looking for, the NE7m's look like the right choice. I listen to music while walking to/from work, so the cable noise is a pretty important factor. Plus, and tell me if I'm wrong, I listen to a very wide range of music, including a lot of live concert recordings (good soundboard recordings), so the soundstage described on the NE7m's might fit best. I wish I could line up all four, and listen and compare, and then make the decision, but it doesn't seem like that's an option. I'm sure that they're all good, and I'll enjoy whichever ones I get.

Mar 13, 2010 at 3:24 AM Post #5 of 36
The Nuforce and the S4 both have excellent isolation, especially with the right tips. But, the sound signature on the S4 was not to my liking. You can't go wrong with the NE-7m or the HS5.

Mar 13, 2010 at 3:55 AM Post #6 of 36
Off the topic but Dell selling Turbine Copper for really low price and it has no mic(still good deal for best sound experience).

Mar 13, 2010 at 7:01 AM Post #8 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by pearlgirl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One other one to throw into the mix is the Ultimate Ears Metro 220/170 vi's. Thoughts on those and how they stack up to the others on this list?

The UE 220s are okay all-around but they just don't shine in any particular area. They can be enjoyable on occasion but they really don't deliver the same bang/buck as the M11/HS5/NE-7.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pearlgirl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think for what I am looking for, the NE7m's look like the right choice. I listen to music while walking to/from work, so the cable noise is a pretty important factor. Plus, and tell me if I'm wrong, I listen to a very wide range of music, including a lot of live concert recordings (good soundboard recordings), so the soundstage described on the NE7m's might fit best. I wish I could line up all four, and listen and compare, and then make the decision, but it doesn't seem like that's an option. I'm sure that they're all good, and I'll enjoy whichever ones I get.

I wouldn't say the soundstage on the NE-7M is anything special; I prefer the HS5 in that respect. But since microphonics are a deal-breaker here I think you'll be quite happy with the Nuforces. I was just using them today and microphonics are easily tolerable when worn cord-down and nearly nonexistent when worn cord-up.

Mar 13, 2010 at 1:36 PM Post #9 of 36
My choice right now: Klipsch Image S4i, though I'd recommend replacing the Klipsch-supplied ear tips with either the Comply T-100/Tx-100 ear tips or the medium size foam "olive" ear tips Shure uses for their SE-series IEMs.

If you're willing to wait, the upcoming Etymotic mc3 could be another good choice.
smile_phones.gif

Mar 13, 2010 at 3:09 PM Post #10 of 36
I will echo the opinion that Joker stamped out: the HS5 is probably the most neutral/best sounding of the bunch. But I find its microphonics and overall build to be way below their price point. The cable frays pretty quickly when used out very often and is really really tangle prone. The Nuforce is a great priced item, but is dark and has pretty lousily built earphones.

MEEl is a sweet product, but doesn't sound as good as the Maximo, but it is built way better, in fact way better than anything in the price range.

Mar 14, 2010 at 12:29 AM Post #11 of 36
For iP-HS5, it includes 2 unique options that greatly reduce cable microphonics:

- A detachable lanyard to wear around your neck. This is especially nice for a mobile phone headset because it allows you to take either or both earphones in/out quickly and easily. For example, wear both earphones while walking around, then get in your car and take them both out, then pop in just the side with the mic for a handsfree call while driving.

- The shirt clip connects directly to the cable slider. This allows you to attach the clip up at your collar, leaving just a short remainder of cable open to microphonics.

For any "cable down" headset, wearing the cables over your ears is not recommended because the mic and control buttons will no longer be positioned correctly.

Mar 14, 2010 at 4:24 AM Post #13 of 36
"If you're willing to wait, the upcoming Etymotic mc3 could be another good choice."

MC3????? I am not aware of these. When will they be coming out? Price? Has anyone tried them out? I use Etymotic earplugs when I go to concerts, and like the way they feel in my ears, but I have been concerned by the sound signature I've read about them.

Mar 14, 2010 at 4:29 AM Post #14 of 36
Might I add the meelelec M9P to the list? It should sound better than the M11 while retaining the great build quality and lack of microphonics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back